Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Simple - you don't know how I work. You may not realize I work at 11pm at times or I work at 5am sometimes. My group is made up of responsible people that are respected as 'doers' - we are entrusted to get our work done in our own way. I'm not a slave to a time clock. You never know.. I could be replying while watching TV like right now (watching Top Gear.. which is in double love right now as both the US and UK versions just started up this past week).. or I maybe on the table while the PT is massaging my back.. or I may be listening to a boring presentation. It's just one of those things in life you'll just have to be jealous of :p

I get that. I don't work a traditional schedule. I've never worked what people would call 'normal hours' ... often that means long periods without a day off or working nights, weekends, holidays etc ... and also having time off when the rest of the USA may be working. I think I've had more Mondays off in my career than any other day of the week.

But I still get the feeling if I want to go back and forth with you for the next 18 hours, you'd be able to and up for it. Not me.

Well I could also show you how to make people more efficient by improving access, focusing on collaboration, and empowering people rather than paying hundreds of people to just write policies because you can't trust people to make their own decisions. But then we'd be really off topic. But instead.. you can continue to apply how you think the world is.. while others continue to live outside your known boundaries.

You do realize that first sentence sounds like something that came out of empowerment meetings at TDA around Y2K? ... In other words, you're just spouting what should be common sense, but putting a nice presentation around it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I disagree on WestCot, I think it would have kept Walt's spirit and the the spirit of EPCOT CENTER in the parks. Maybe one day...
It would certainly be better than a Marvel park!!

It would have NOT worked in Anaheim as planned in either version. It wouldn't have for so many reasons. And I HATE the idea of wasting precious land on anything Marvel. ... But I really don't want to head down either of those discussion paths.

Funmeister

I liked Eisner up until Wells passed away. But for a moment...does it really take a rocket scientist to open the Disney Vault and put all of the full-length animated features on VHS and start utilizing land in a very underdeveloped resort (at the time)? What he did in those respects was not genius. It was what any business person with half a brain would have done to generate quick cash to attract investors and stockholders. Silver Screen Partners was another great business decision but I want to say that was from the brainchild Katzenburg and not Eisner. Anyone?

the.dreamfinder

It would have NOT worked in Anaheim as planned in either version. It wouldn't have for so many reasons. And I HATE the idea of wasting precious land on anything Marvel. ... But I really don't want to head down either of those discussion paths.
They could always just keep buying up land when it becomes available/recession and just plus the parks they have already. I'd favor an extensive phase two/TL Reboot over a third gate of ANY kind for the next 15-20 years.

TalkingHead

To elaborate more on what I said earlier, here's a fun clip of Eisner on the Disney Sunday Night Movie:

Now I love this clip for several reasons:

1) it cross-promotes WDW in a creative and tasteful way (schmaltz free!)
2) it shows recognition for past company achievements and works, while at the same time selling them
3) it shows how the company's CEO is willing to do his part in a more direct promotion of the brand and show himself as more than an invisible boardroom type
4) it looks cool

Forget the creative bit with Eisner. Just look at the opening credits.

They actually acknowledge Tokyo DL toward the beginning of the credits.

When was the last time you saw Disney acknowledge TDL on American TV?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I liked Eisner up until Wells passed away. But for a moment...does it really take a rocket scientist to open the Disney Vault and put all of the full-length animated features on VHS and start utilizing land in a very underdeveloped resort (at the time)? What he did in those respects was not genius. It was what any business person with half a brain would have done to generate quick cash to attract investors and stockholders. Silver Screen Partners was another great business decision but I want to say that was from the brainchild Katzenburg and not Eisner. Anyone?

Eisner had vison. In so many ways. What seems like a no-brainer today (like buying Pixar for Iger) was far different in Eisner (and Wells') first years. I think it's very easy to play hindsight, but if you do then you do need to take yourself back to 1984 and view Walt Disney Productions as it was in all phases. Then, look at how Michael and Frank grew the company organically (very different than buying other people's IP and stamping Disney on it) in so many directions from developing WDW to Broadway ... from starting a cruise line to buying ABC/Cap Cities ... from adding an amazing resort in Paris to developing the retail chain.

Iger is a manager. A very competent one. But that's it.

Eisner had passion and vision (that largely resulted in great things). Iger is a techie.

ParentsOf4

However, what I don't see in there is any actual specific arguments on why NextGen is bad, other than the nondescript concerns centering on "invasions of privacy and dehumanization."
The beauty of the Internet (see I like technology:)) is its ability to quickly locate vast amounts of information. If you want to understand and appreciate the many reservations people have on being tracked and on privacy, I suggest you use the Internet to uncover the many opinions on the topic. Concerns about "tracking" and "invasion of privacy" have been around for decades. If you want to understand it from a WDW-specific point of view, please consider reading some of my many earlier posts on the subject. I hope you have a few hours to read them all.:D
What I've actually seen happen, at least at this site, is a shift in the discussion:
"I don't like NextGen because they spent all this money on it instead of new attractions (that we desperately need)!"
"I don't like NextGen because it's going to make me micromanage my trip even more! I'll have to schedule my FastPasses 6 months out!"
"I don't like NextGen because they are changing the tickets and I have to wear a bracelet doohickey, which is a major inconvenience!"
"I don't like NextGen because the RFID technology tracking us is too invasive. I don't want Disney knowing where I am at any given time!"
We are all learning about NextGen together. The more we learn, the less we like. This is not a matter of not liking change. Instead, this is about not likely most aspects of NextGen.

There are people who are going to like NextGen. There are people who are going to benefit from NextGen. However, the percentage of people who will like and benefit from NextGen is considerably lower than the percentage who would like and benefit from, say, "Star Wars Land". And that's TDO's biggest problem.

TDO views WDW through the eyes of executives making business decisions. They do not view it through the eyes of consumers paying for the product. It's typified by Iger's recent visit to WDW. He treated it like a business meeting, not like someone in the entertainment industry. He could have been on a tour of the factory floor. Customers don't purchase the factory, they purchase the product. Today's Disney executives treat WDW like a factory and "guests" like inventory. RFID devices are used successfully to track inventory. Disney executives think of us as inventory to be optimized. They are completely misreading the human element vitial to WDW's success.

As I've suggested several times before, Disney executives have to move away from their desks, put down their smart phones, stopping sitting in endless streams of meetings, stop taking the executive tour, and get closer to the product they are trying to sell. TDO has lost the soul that once made it great. It needs to find it once again or WDW will continue to decline.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You do realize that first sentence sounds like something that came out of empowerment meetings at TDA around Y2K? ... In other words, you're just spouting what should be common sense, but putting a nice presentation around it.

And you should realize I don't work for people with the same mentality of ethics of of the US that you try to frame me into. It's not a presentation to us - it's human dignity and seen as the best way to keep people productive. 'Respect the doers' - What's the point of hiring the best people you can - if all you are going to do is chain them down and restrict what they do and how they do it based on someone ELSE's ideas. You might as well hire a bunch of code monkeys if all you need is someone to implement someone else's ideas.

You really should just stop trying to wrap your experiences around everyone else's. There are other people and other places in the world that do operate differently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom