Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

spaceghost

As it turns out, opposition to the use of Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) devices on humans is both long and widespread. Groups as diverse as the ACLU and the Christian Coalition oppose their use. Concerns center on invasions of privacy and dehumanization. The debate continues with some Supreme Court justices recently suggesting laws have not kept pace with tracking technology.

At WDW, the issue with RFID is not merely its use, but the pervasiveness of its use. An argument could be made that short-range RFID readers are appropriate at some locations such as theme park entrances, as resort room keys, and at points of purchase. These are, after all, points at which individuals need to exchange information with Disney.

However, a significant portion of NextGen’s considerable budget was used to install RFID readers throughout the theme parks and beyond. There is a reason why NextGen costs so much. With widespread deployment of RFID readers along with a significantly upgraded data network, Disney now has the ability to closely track individual movements in real-time and to amass considerable datasets on these movements. For those who wear MagicBands, Disney has the ability to track those using long-range readers. MagicBands afford Disney greater tracking capabilities but, because of the vast infrastructure upgrade, Disney has newly enhanced capabilities to track movements in real-time throughout many WDW locations even with RFID cards.

As cost and technology improves, it makes sense for Disney, if unchallenged, to enhance their tracking capabilities further in order to “provide guests with enhanced experiences”. (Isn’t this the reason we’ve been told they are needed now?) In WDW’s case, the issue is not merely the use of RFID technology but the pervasiveness and continued expansion of its deployment.

Discussions of “RFID triangulation” are a red herring. Disney does not need to use triangulation algorithms to determine location. With a sufficient number of short-range RFID readers, Disney has the capability to determine location to within a few feet. It’s simply a matter of where and how many RFID readers Disney chooses to deploy.

Disney does not need RFID devices to track overall crowds. Disney’s current considerable video surveillance coverage, along with extensive data collected over decades using traditional methods, are more than adequate to monitor and respond to overall crowd patterns. From a business perspective, the only justification for person-specific RFID tracking technology is exactly that, to collect specific information on each “guest”.

Since Disney intends young children to wear MagicBands, there is concern that data collected on them could be a violation of current law. Proponents indicate that Disney provides an “opt out” option but, seriously, how many WDW “guests” truly know or understand their options? Up till now, Disney has not been forthcoming with information and it’s only because of widespread concerns that Disney has slowly released more detailed information. It seems Disney had hoped its “guests” would not notice; that the mind-numbing “Terms & Conditions” along with the less-then-informative FAQ would suffice. Disney clearly expected its “guests” to not pay attention.

RFID’s main supporters are those with vested interests in the technology and the data it produces. Essentially, RFID proponents are either RFID & associated technology manufacturers or involved in the data collection business. These organizations heavily lobby Congress, making it difficult to pass laws to protect our civil liberties. When it comes to using RFID technology on humans, it’s important to consider the motivations of organizations that defend it. Ultimately, these organizations have significant financial interests in assuring its success, with other considerations, including liberty and privacy, being secondary.

Disney’s failure to correctly gauge the public’s reaction to concerns with privacy and anxieties over children’s safety might explain Iger’s hostile cover letter to Rep. Markey. Having been assured by his internal team on its legality and anticipated public reaction, Iger almost certainly is aggravated by its reception so far. A lot of financial eggs have been placed in the NextGen basket and Disney cannot afford to drop that basket. Let’s not forget that the New Fantasyland has not turned out to be the “pretty spectacular” success Iger predicted it would be. Iger must be frustrated both with WDW’s financial performance and track record. Under Iger’s tenure, WDW has not had a single major success, a black eye on Iger’s otherwise impressive career. At this point, Iger has to exacerbated that NextGen is off to an inauspicious start. Iger took a risk when he approved NextGen and NextGen potentially represents Iger greatest failure.

Disney sells NextGen as an “enhanced guest experience” but, first and foremost, executives view it as an enormous financial windfall. That’s the biggest problem at WDW today; senior leadership thinks of profits first, customers second. WDW management used to place show before all else and customers financially rewarded them for it. As symbolized by Iger’s recent WDW visit where he seemingly traveled via backstage access and dined at the finest restaurants, Disney leadership has little appreciation for what most WDW “guests” experience every day.
I think that is an excellent summation of the discussion going on. However, what I don't see in there is any actual specific arguments on why NextGen is bad, other than the nondescript concerns centering on "invasions of privacy and dehumanization." I have seen the largely negative outcry here over this initiative, and I have tried really, really hard to find reasons why I agree - why I think NextGen is bad; an invasion of privacy; a security concern; potentially criminal; and so on. I thought that I must just be missing something. But, when it comes down to it, I just can't seem to find anything other than, "It may seem creepy."

I am, admittedly, a technological optimist. I believe that, generally speaking, technology is a good thing and new technologies enhance us, not harm us. And no, I am not "either RFID & associated technology manufacturers or involved in the data collection business." That seems like a rather broad stroke there. I do work in IT doing application support and development (Peoplesoft and document imaging, primarily - super exciting). However, I did ask my wife what she thought about this, as she generally doesn't look at technology with the rose-colored glasses I do. Her response was, "That sounds great." I asked her if she thought it was weird that Disney could tell where we were at virtually any time. "Nope, not at all." "What about the kids?" "They'll be able to track them down if they get lost." So...no help there in finding a reason to be offended.

To me, the bottom line is that people don't like change - people don't trust technology. Those of us here in the US live in a country where the theory of evolution and global climate change are still derided by a significant portion of the populace. What about this am I missing? What about the data collection is so horrible? Companies might try to sell us things directly targeted at us, based on our habits in the parks? Ok... that doesn't hurt my feelings to much. Heck, maybe it will help! As a 37 y/o man, maybe it'll help to stop me getting advertisements for The Scooter Store and AARP.

What I've actually seen happen, at least at this site, is a shift in the discussion:
"I don't like NextGen because they spent all this money on it instead of new attractions (that we desperately need)!"
"I don't like NextGen because it's going to make me micromanage my trip even more! I'll have to schedule my FastPasses 6 months out!"
"I don't like NextGen because they are changing the tickets and I have to wear a bracelet doohickey, which is a major inconvenience!"
"I don't like NextGen because the RFID technology tracking us is too invasive. I don't want Disney knowing where I am at any given time!"

Maybe we're just looking for reasons to not like NextGen because we just don't like NextGen?

PhotoDave219

LOL! Waaaaay too tame. Think extremes. Extremes in fan-dom...extremes in...er...nevermind...:cool:

So, anything new since the 18th or so??? I know there was major trollage which was fully edited (I always miss the party). Got the quicky version of TT2.0 & Mermaid while away. Color me unimpressed. Not so sure I have it in me to read thru 100 pages. Anyone got the Cliff Notes???

Short version:

Dave had a bad experience at Yachtsman and ranted on it.

Dave had a bad experience at the new bakery in France not having butter and ranted on it.

Dave took a survey on the Disneys Magical iPhone app and ranted to Disney on it.

Congress sent a nasty letter to Disney. Disney sent a nasty letter back to Congress.

Lots of questions about NextGen and whether it will/will not work.

the.dreamfinder

Aaahhhh!!! I'm going to have nightmares tonight, thanks to this photo.
That's nothing!!
westcot1_illustrative.jpg

indianajonesandthelostexpedition1.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not backhanded. I honestly wonder how anyone can spend the amount of time you do here and still do enough work to actually earn a paycheck.

Simple - you don't know how I work. You may not realize I work at 11pm at times or I work at 5am sometimes. My group is made up of responsible people that are respected as 'doers' - we are entrusted to get our work done in our own way. I'm not a slave to a time clock. You never know.. I could be replying while watching TV like right now (watching Top Gear.. which is in double love right now as both the US and UK versions just started up this past week).. or I maybe on the table while the PT is massaging my back.. or I may be listening to a boring presentation. It's just one of those things in life you'll just have to be jealous of :p

See, that's why technology is bad. Most Americans seem to spend 50-80% of a work day online doing non-work things. ... I'd suggest that productivity would be much better if people weren't posting on Disney fan forums while being paid (except for people paid by Disney, that is).

Well I could also show you how to make people more efficient by improving access, focusing on collaboration, and empowering people rather than paying hundreds of people to just write policies because you can't trust people to make their own decisions. But then we'd be really off topic. But instead.. you can continue to apply how you think the world is.. while others continue to live outside your known boundaries.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If you're a company that's going to be investing well over $1 billion on an initiative like this -- one that will be scrutinized heavily by the public long before it's operational -- you need to have very carefully considered all of the potential consequences, including the symbolic angle, before you take the first step.

Failing to predict that a blatantly obvious datamining scheme might be met with widespread hostility demonstrates an appalling lack of judgment at a very high level within the company. It's an astonishing blunder that's almost as indefensible -- from a corporate governance standpoint -- as anticipating such consequences, yet plowing ahead anyway because you're certain that your company's deep pockets and residual good name are enough overcome any resistance.

No matter what MyMagic+ and whatever else NEXT GEN brings, there's no doubt -- contrary to what some folks advance here -- Disney is most interested in governing your MAGICal WDW vacation experience. Governing, as in limiting. In so many ways, this is antithetical to a loyalty program or a legit guest enhancement. Any Big Government fans out there? ... Big Disney's Big Data grab? Not a fair comparison?

Hmm ... actually, it's precisely that and more, but y'all know that.

While some people have gone back and forth on the technology (something I'm bowing out of until I hire a private tech expert) there's been no real pushback on the fundamental elements of the NEXT GEN experience from Disney. Some PR spin? Yes. Serious pushback? Nah. Actually, that undisciplined reply of Iger's did something quite counter to the interests of TWDC. It invited further scrutiny, as Iger seemed to be begging for the spotlight by dressing his reply in undignified and incendiary langauge.

Only, the internals on this are devastating to the Disney BRAND. As it appears as though Iger and his inner sanctum lost sight of what Disney is really known for beyond the market-makers on Wall Street. Words like 'solicit' and 'exploit' ... 'locate' and 'target' are quite common in the business world. But, no, they don't work for Disney's encrusted in Pixie Dust BRAND image.

Yet, these words are littering documents TWDC has used with everyone from analysts, who influence share price, to contractors and sponsors and prospective sponsors to sell this ill-thoughtout project.

Like the tech or not, when you're Disney, you don't incite folks to look closer when your project is like a well of keywords you don't want associated with TWDC.

Considering the number of potential pitfalls that had to have been reasonably predictable, any failure to anticipate the negative response that MyMagic+ has in fact received is evidence of shortsightedness at best, and overweening arrogance at worst.

Just don't let Wall Street know. 'Cause, well, that would really be bad for DIS. And The Weatherman.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The only place in TDL is the Town Center Fashions shop in World Bazaar across from the Coffee Shop that has your souvenir Tshirt were used to in the US.

When I was there last in 12/10, they had almost entirely a product line for women. They may have had 1-2 items that a typical Disney fanboi would feel comfortable in, but not this Spirit!

WDW1974

Original Poster
LOL! Waaaaay too tame. Think extremes. Extremes in fan-dom...extremes in...er...nevermind...:cool:

So, anything new since the 18th or so??? I know there was major trollage which was fully edited (I always miss the party). Got the quicky version of TT2.0 & Mermaid while away. Color me unimpressed. Not so sure I have it in me to read thru 100 pages. Anyone got the Cliff Notes???

Ah my dear Sweetpea, something you just sorta ... have to ... well, live through.

We all have and we've come out stronger on the other side!:)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm not counting on Phase 2 happening. Pathetic, really.

Speaking of concepts developing and not happening, I found myself head over heels today, looking at the concept art for Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition. Now I love Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye, but I can't help but feel upset the Lost Expedition never happened. It undoubtedly would have been the best attraction to come from Disney, surpassing RSR, for sure. Oh well.

Yep. You can't look at old Disney art. It will do nothing if not depress you.

I love Indy at DL. Think it's an amazing attraction experience, but if you compare to what it could have been ... well, it was a masterpiece. I believe @Eddie Sotto worked on the original concept with Tony Baxter and a bunch of talented folks.

As great as many attractions are, very few live up to the original art or the designers' original concepts/plans.

the.dreamfinder

Are you trying to upset me??? LOL, look at those beauties! I'm actually happy WestCot didn't happen. That should stay exclusive to Florida, but Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition... That's another story.
I disagree on WestCot, I think it would have kept Walt's spirit and the the spirit of EPCOT CENTER in the parks. Maybe one day...
It would certainly be better than a Marvel park!!

Californian Elitist

Yep. You can't look at old Disney art. It will do nothing if not depress you.

I love Indy at DL. Think it's an amazing attraction experience, but if you compare to what it could have been ... well, it was a masterpiece. I believe @Eddie Sotto worked on the original concept with Tony Baxter and a bunch of talented folks.

As great as many attractions are, very few live up to the original art or the designers' original concepts/plans.

*sigh* Yep.:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom