Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Tisk tisk.. the backhanded stuff really doesn't show your good side. Don't let the travel get you down - go find the hotel bar and the lonely sales rep and offer her a drink.

Not backhanded. I honestly wonder how anyone can spend the amount of time you do here and still do enough work to actually earn a paycheck.

See, that's why technology is bad. Most Americans seem to spend 50-80% of a work day online doing non-work things. ... I'd suggest that productivity would be much better if people weren't posting on Disney fan forums while being paid (except for people paid by Disney, that is).

I largely make up my work schedule and I still can't spend the time here that you and some others do.

BryceM

I'm one of few that actually likes Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. I know @WDWFigment and @WDW1974 hate it, LOL. Still, it's cheap.

Oh my goodness... First of all, Monster's Inc is in Holllywood, despite the fact it has NOTHING to do with the land, although it's a great dark ride, IMO. Mad T Party doesn't really have anything to do with the land, either. There's cheap entertainment, such as Dancin' with Disney, which I can't stand, and my friend always makes me go with her whenever we go. -__- Basically little kids dance to music with various Disney characters. The CMs' costumes are so tacky, I can't stand them. The Land just doesn't make sense. You've got Tower that's set in the 1920s or 1930s, but nothing else fits that era. It's just a mess. The only redeeming attractions are Aladdin, Tower and the Art of Animation building/activities.
It seems like Disney can never quite get the theme of "Hollywood" down right.

Animaniac93-98

But also on the flipside.. Eisner got a lot of heat for trying to draw the association that he was like Walt himself.. or his heir apparent. With the TV program appearances, his comparisons to his name vs Disney's original French name, and other references. He put some very important people off.. including Walt's daughter.. over some of his actions trying to draw lines between Walt and himself.

You can't please everyone, and the name comparison is certainly a bit much (though I don't know how/when that happened, certainly it wasn't in the type of example I gave), but I think Eisner understood the value in what he was trying to do.

When Iger was on The View promoting D23 he talked about his experience growing up with the company (indcluding his being a fan of Davy Crockett), which was relevant to the plug he was giving, but an occasion like that is very rare, and when it only happens to promote a new product it rings a bit hollow. You never see his "fun" side on TV regularily (like interacting with the characters and such) in a more personal way, or a regualr reminder of the importance of his predecessors and their work.

And this may sound mean, but I don't think Diane has had much power/importance to the company since her husband, Ron Miller, left. I'm sure she has a great deal many opinions on what the company does, and she continues to do work with the Museum and such, but I don't think she has any real political clout with the company anymore.

alphac2005

That's opinion.

I love EPCOT and DAK and appreciate parts of the others, although often the MK bores me to tears. I don't have that problem at UNI or IOA.

And I think UNI has been putting out cutting edge product since IOA opened in 1999. Funny, that's sorta when Disney stopped (in O-Town at least).

Having been at IOA and Universal last week, my wife and I continued to say what we've said since 1999, Disney has yet to built any new attraction to match Spiderman, let alone UNI has outdone themselves with the Harry Potter attraction. TDO is a decade and a half behind and NextGen shows they could care less to ever catch up.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah, I read that in DisneyWar. Keep in mind, I liked Eisner up till 94.

I still like him. As a human being and a creative exec. I do think he should have left Disney somewhere in the late 90s. It was obvious that things were spiraling downward in so many ways and the group he had around him was made up of individuals who were either afraid or him or so grateful for their positions that they never went against him.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm one of few that actually likes Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. I know @WDWFigment and @WDW1974 hate it, LOL. Still, it's cheap.

Oh my goodness... First of all, Monster's Inc is in Holllywood, despite the fact it has NOTHING to do with the land, although it's a great dark ride, IMO. Mad T Party doesn't really have anything to do with the land, either. There's cheap entertainment, such as Dancin' with Disney, which I can't stand, and my friend always makes me go with her whenever we go. -__- Basically little kids dance to music with various Disney characters. The CMs' costumes are so tacky, I can't stand them. The Land just doesn't make sense. You've got Tower that's set in the 1920s or 1930s, but nothing else fits that era. It's just a mess. The only redeeming attractions are Aladdin, Tower and the Art of Animation building/activities.

Phase II was supposed to deal with that mess.

The problem is that Phase II's in Disney jargon mean 'projects that wind up in coffee table books that fanbois drool over' !

WDW1974

Original Poster
It was excelente, and as horrible as I feel for admitting it, I even succumbed to buying a small Duffy keychain at Aunt Peg's! How could I have let myself do such a thing?! Maybe because I couldn't find a single damn t-shirt anywhere instead... But yeah, I'm back and resettling into the swing, the ol' groove of things. Been catching up on this particular thread for the past week. :D

Yeah. You can't find a tee at TDR most times of the year unless you are very lucky.

Glad the thread's kept you busy.

We should catch up at some point. I'd love to hear your thoughts on TDR and Japan in general!

Goofyernmost

Goof, you don't like it? Great. Neither do I.

Take it up with WDW management, who basically threw his playbook out 15 years ago, yet use his image to shill timeshare sales.

Take it up with a CEO who thinks he's smarter than Walt and should even be talked of in the same breath.

I'm sorry if I use 'insider humor' ... but you've been reading my stuff for likely a decade now. If you don't get where I'm coming from yet, then I'm not sure you will. Not that it matters ... when you take a trip to O-Town and enjoy UNI more than WDW and point out shortcomings like you recently did, it speaks volumes because you largely do get it. Just took a lot longer than some!:D
It's not that I don't understand your sarcasm and wit, I just sometimes feel that you are sending the wrong message by using it. You know, and I know that you don't think of Walt Disney as an old dead guy, but there are many that visit this forum that don't know that and since you dislike Disney Management so much I would think that the last thing you would want to do is even mildly echo their feelings. I do understand what you are trying to do, even if I sometimes think that you get a little carried away with it and magnify somethings way beyond what they deserve. Just because I "get it" doesn't mean I like to see it in print when it isn't necessary or is simply unexplained. I would have too much respect for Walt Disney, the man, to ever want anyone to think that I buy into that way of thinking, accidentally or otherwise. I also hate what Disney Co. has become and what it is ultimately doing to Walt Disney's legacy.

asianway

Yeah. You can't find a tee at TDR most times of the year unless you are very lucky.

Glad the thread's kept you busy.

We should catch up at some point. I'd love to hear your thoughts on TDR and Japan in general!
The only place in TDL is the Town Center Fashions shop in World Bazaar across from the Coffee Shop that has your souvenir Tshirt were used to in the US.

sweetpee_1993

Oh 50 shades is Intro to [Things Not Suitable for a Disney Forum yet strangely enjoyed by Disney fans]

LOL! Waaaaay too tame. Think extremes. Extremes in fan-dom...extremes in...er...nevermind...:cool:

So, anything new since the 18th or so??? I know there was major trollage which was fully edited (I always miss the party). Got the quicky version of TT2.0 & Mermaid while away. Color me unimpressed. Not so sure I have it in me to read thru 100 pages. Anyone got the Cliff Notes???

Californian Elitist

Phase II was supposed to deal with that mess.

The problem is that Phase II's in Disney jargon mean 'projects that wind up in coffee table books that fanbois drool over' !

I'm not counting on Phase 2 happening. Pathetic, really.

Speaking of concepts developing and not happening, I found myself head over heels today, looking at the concept art for Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition. Now I love Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye, but I can't help but feel upset the Lost Expedition never happened. It undoubtedly would have been the best attraction to come from Disney, surpassing RSR, for sure. Oh well.

Rushie Taylor

@wdwmagic, I greatly appreciate the work you (and @The Mom) have done.

But the answer is never to close provocative, thoughtful and interesting discourse because online lunatics sneak out of the asylum and into the threads. The very goal of these individuals is precisely that. I don't believe you ever reward bad behavior and extortion (I.e. either you close this thread or we're going to keep bombarding it while you're sleeping!).

The answer is as you said to not feed the trolls (too many folks simply can't help themselves and think it's all in fun when it isn't and too many also are naive and don't understand there is an agenda at play when someone joins a site and carpet bombs a thread with numerous inflamatory posts when they know no mods are watching).

People just need to be vigilant and smart.

Rushie Taylor

Maybe you could also not call people douches? Or is that asking too much?
Wow! I planned my first trip to Disney World. I asked her about the comps I was given. She began to act really rude when I asked her other questions pertaining to the hotel accommodations. So I rate customer service poor at All Sport Hotel. Absolutely terrible! Later that day i took my two boys to the All Sport Arcade. While the boys were playing one the machines, I asked the arcade person which was a young lady about one of the machines that I wanted to play. Her response was not helpful at all. After we left the arcade we went to Whispering Canyonn the food was terrible. We went to the fulton House the frood was terrible there also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom