Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Funmeister

Eisner had vison. In so many ways. What seems like a no-brainer today (like buying Pixar for Iger) was far different in Eisner (and Wells') first years. I think it's very easy to play hindsight, but if you do then you do need to take yourself back to 1984 and view Walt Disney Productions as it was in all phases. Then, look at how Michael and Frank grew the company organically (very different than buying other people's IP and stamping Disney on it) in so many directions from developing WDW to Broadway ... from starting a cruise line to buying ABC/Cap Cities ... from adding an amazing resort in Paris to developing the retail chain.

Iger is a manager. A very competent one. But that's it.

Eisner had passion and vision (that largely resulted in great things). Iger is a techie.

I agree...I really do agree with what you are saying. Maybe I need to take a break from the forums a bit. lol Its hard to be a realist at night and having to drink the pixie dust during the day. Just ended up so disappointed with Eisner. Any good info on your end 74 on anything that can freshen up the forum a bit? No one ever talks about the abandoned plans for a third waterpark after RC closed. Waterpark news? Jesus I need to go to bed. G'night all!

PhotoDave219

<Fanboi>

Oh JFCNTAC!(*)

Oh bring me the Incredibles! Don't clone CARS! Remake that part of the park (into something even grander than radiator springs!) and bring on all the tourist dollars!

It makes sense, its instant competition to Marvel's Super Hero Island (We get royalties off that) that will draw in guests and actually aimed at the target demo that DHS wants. This would be epic.

</Fanboi>

(*) Dont ask.

Kuhio

Why does a random guest care how much the system cost Disney?

Did you ever see Disney advertise their concept of the preshow as a better way to handle safety spiels and waiting in line? No - but they spend a ton of money on it AND it improves the guest experience through show AND has pretty much become an expectation of how a big ride should be. Just because Disney doesn't advertise it, do you not think guests see this difference in show and in part it contributes to their Disney preference?

Same with Fastpass.. I don't ever recall seeing advertisements outside the property about the value of FP - yet people have come to expect such services and see it as a differentiator in the industry.

Or how about free transportation? Free buttons? Rider Switch? etc.

There are tons of things Disney has invested in, that they would not ever market directly in an advertising sense off property, yet they contribute to 'the Disney difference' that keeps people coming back.

Should Disney done none of those things because they weren't marketable on their own as main attractions?

I don't understand this requirement that we are holding investments to now.. and why there should be new standards compared to the company's behavior for decades.

The only thing the MyMagic+ initiative has in common with Disney "investments" like free buttons and preshow videos is the fact that you can't readily advertise such elements as effectively as you can, say, a new attraction. Beyond that, your analogy and your argument both break down.

For starters, no other "non-marketable" investment comes close to costing Disney as much as they've sunk into MyMagic+. As I explained in my original post, if MyMagic+ only cost as much as a couple of "First Visit" buttons or even a dozen buses, it might be a more defensible expenditure of funds. Instead, with the amount of money that Disney's sunk into their NextGen initiative, they could have built a good chunk of a Tokyo DisneySea-quality park at WDW (not that I'm advocating a fifth gate at this point!).

More important, however, is the fact that things like rider switch and free transportation do not trigger substantial ethical and legal concerns like MyMagic+ does. No member of Congress is going to request that Bob Iger answer questions about whether Disney's Magical Express runs afoul of a federal law. In this sense, the NextGen investment runs the risk of costing Disney even more than just money -- it could potentially cause serious harm to Disney's carefully cultivated brand if the government or the general public conclude (rightly or wrongly) that the company was willing to sacrifice the safety of children on the altar of profits.

MyMagic+ is thus fundamentally different in nature, not just in degree, from the sorts of things you mentioned.

SirOinksALot

Do tell, Sir.
The first sale of RFID tickets (not resort keys). If any of you had been paying attention, you'd see that the new norm is the issuance of tickets that are not in any way more linked to you than before.

If you want to link a ticket to MM+, you can. If you don't, you don't. Period. RFID and MM+ are mutually exclusive. No opt out? Bogus.

TalkingHead

Incredibles doesn't have a distinctive setting like Radiator Springs. Not sure what kind of food and beverage they could cull from that, either. And knowing how averse Imagineers are to AA, I wonder if they'd give us Soarin' with the Incredibles or a full-blown dark ride.

Not sure why that blog post acts like the question is cloning (Cars) versus creativity (Incredibles). I guess adding Mansion, Pirates, all the Mountains to MK was bad because it was cloning? The originals were creative, and the clones can be positive additions, too.

At this point, just add something top-notch. Clone Cars Land. Build Incredibles Universe. Give us the Indiana Jones Adventure ten years after the fact.

Whatever. Let me know what they're gonna do. You can find me at Universal.

SirOinksALot

At first I thought, "Wow, I can't believe someone wasted the time to type four unfunny paragraphs."

Then I realized that I didn't account for the time it takes to enroll, and my mind was blown.

PhotoDave219

The first sale of RFID tickets (not resort keys). If any of you had been paying attention, you'd see that the new norm is the issuance of tickets that are not in any way more linked to you than before.

If you want to link a ticket to MM+, you can. If you don't, you don't. Period. RFID and MM+ are mutually exclusive. No opt out? Bogus.

Thank You Sir for your reporting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom