Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
The only thing the MyMagic+ initiative has in common with Disney "investments" like free buttons and preshow videos is the fact that you can't readily advertise such elements as effectively as you can, say, a new attraction. Beyond that, your analogy and your argument both break down.

No, it holds true - you just interject other, seperate conditions about the program and then use that as a reason to tear down the program as a whole (ethical, legal) vs acknowledging that the lack of explicit external marketability is not a dealbreaker investments. So it shouldn't matter here either. If the thing does its job, offers the intended value, and the company is within itself to spend that money that way - the fact that it can't be put on a TV ad hasn't stopped them before... I don't see it's relevance now.

Scale is different - no doubt. But again, buttons vs monorails... there's a huge difference in there too. Or spending millions producing dorky videos, or installing monitors and effects in queues.. vs the old outdoor switchback.

Not everything is about direct advertising - some things are investments of their own.

the.dreamfinder

And the idea that an Incredibles attraction would feature plenty of AAs. Disney is strongly averse to placing AAs in anything. Today's group of 'creatives' think they're an ancient, trouble-filled, passe form of showmanship.
True, but if Pixar's running the show they will DEMAND AAs especially if they change the name to Disney-Pixar Studios.

GiveMeTheMusic

And the idea that an Incredibles attraction would feature plenty of AAs. Disney is strongly averse to placing AAs in anything. Today's group of 'creatives' think they're an ancient, trouble-filled, passe form of showmanship.

Well that's a damn shame. The mere presence of a tangible figure makes a huge difference. I can watch The Incredibles in glorious HD (3D if I'm feeling adventurous with TV's conversion button) at home - I don't need to pay umpteen thousands of dollars to fly to Orlando and see them on a flat screen as I drift by.

TalkingHead

Not as visually stunning but the possibilities are endless. And Incredible.

Oh, I like the film better than Cars. I think Brad Bird's movies are the best Pixar has to offer, with the exception of the Toy Story trilogy.

But at this point, I'd rather TDO go with the sure thing -- they cloned TSMM and Mermaid. They gave us the side dishes. Might as well give us the entree.

the.dreamfinder

Incredibles doesn't have a distinctive setting like Radiator Springs. Not sure what kind of food and beverage they could cull from that, either. And knowing how averse Imagineers are to AA, I wonder if they'd give us Soarin' with the Incredibles or a full-blown dark ride.
Ummmm... Nomanisan
incredibles-blu-ray-trl.jpg

You may not know it by name, but it's instantly recognizable and would provide a good weenie to draw folks down the Streets of America and Pixar Place.

Brad Bird and Pixar will most likely twist Disney's arm over this. Brad Bird's got a whole lot more influence than the geniuses down at Flower St..

the.dreamfinder

Flipping through my copy of "The Art of the Incredibles" right now, the Nomanisan Island base would provide wonderful IMMERSION and a great scene one (helluva lot better than whacking out of place plastic crap). It's a place that you WANT to go to. That's what these parks are supposed to be about, it's why WWoHP and CarsLand are so successful.

ParentsOf4

The first sale of RFID tickets (not resort keys). If any of you had been paying attention, you'd see that the new norm is the issuance of tickets that are not in any way more linked to you than before.

If you want to link a ticket to MM+, you can. If you don't, you don't. Period. RFID and MM+ are mutually exclusive. No opt out? Bogus.
How disappointing. I thought you had something of substance. I predicted a slow rollout of NextGen weeks ago. With Disney taking water over the bow from Rep. Markey's letter and NextGen's first use at the BWI being delayed by over a month due to technical problems, of course the first tickets were going to be issued without MM+. FP+ is not ready for prime time. As I posted earlier today, Disney's badly misjudged public reaction and is in serious damage control mode right now. Get a load of just some of the press coverage:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/25/disney-magicbands-raise-privacy-concerns/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...ey-parks-are-getting-rfid-enabled-magicbands/

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/01/congressman-to-disneys-bob-iger-just.html

Give it about a year. If the bad press and negative public reaction continues, Disney will back down. If not, we all get full-fledged NextGen. As I wrote earlier, it's why Iger is really PO'ed about this. His team told him it was going to work like a charm (bracelet).

Initial test results suggest a lot of people find the MagicBands uncomfortable to wear. Disney really thought everyone would jump at the chance to wear uncomfortable plastic wrist bands in the hot & humid Florida sun. This issue is going to be a lot harder for Disney to overcome than any privacy concern discussed on this board or in the news.

Captain Chaos

Ummmm... Nomanisan

You may not know it by name, but it's instantly recognizable and would provide a good weenie to draw folks down the Streets of America and Pixar Place.

Brad Bird and Pixar will most likely twist Disney's arm over this. Brad Bird's got a whole lot more influence than the geniuses down at Flower St..
Looking at that picture, I wonder if they can incorporate Catastrophe Canyon into it... Would save them some money, right?

Atomicmickey

I, also, am averse to AA's like the plastic rotating fish that pass for AA's these days
in the Little Mermaid ride.
However, more Wicked Witches and her ilk, bring them on. Haven't seen what
they did for CarsLand in person, but sure looks good on YouTube.

Just please, enough with the wristbands and DVC and build the parks. Please.
Do I sound like a broken record? Well, so be it.

PhotoDave219

How disappointing. I thought you had something of substance. I predicted a slow rollout of NextGen weeks ago. With Disney taking water over the bow from Rep. Markey's letter and NextGen's first use at the BWI being delayed by over a month due to technical problems, of course the first tickets were going to be issued without MM+. FP+ is not ready for prime time. As I posted earlier today, Disney's badly misjudged public reaction and is in serious damage control mode right now. Get a load of just some of the press coverage:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/25/disney-magicbands-raise-privacy-concerns/

Eh, The Times is going out of Business. AGAIN.

TalkingHead

Ummmm... Nomanisan

I remember the general setting of the villain's base, but I wouldn't say it's "instantly recognizable." If anything, that picture looks more like Neverland from the Peter Pan's Flight.

It's not Hogsmeade or Radiator Springs. But it could be immersive, which is really all that counts. So I'm sure they could make it work -- of course, if Incredibles is only one of the attractions (the post mentioned Rat and cheapo Toy Story rides, too), it seems more likely that it won't have an entire land developed with it. Probably more a hodge-podge of Pixar properties.

flynnibus

Premium Member
How disappointing. I thought you had something of substance. I predicted a slow rollout of NextGen weeks ago

Really? you predicted ticket-only purchases being the first to get the real roll-out of the program? Maybe you can point us to those posts? Everyone here was all worried about resort guests and how they were going first.. and low and behold, it's tickets being converted first.. not the other way around.

ParentsOf4

Well Sports Illustrated & Time just laid off a boatload of people today.

I miss working for one. (A newspaper that is)
I sometimes feel like I'm one of the few people who actually reads newspapers and news magazines. Of course, I read a lot of online news as well so I guess I'm contributing to the problem.:(

PhotoDave219

I sometimes feel like I'm one of the few people who actually reads newspapers and news magazines. Of course, I read a lot of online news as well so I guess I'm contributing to the problem.:(

No, its that people didnt lock down their content and adapt with the times. They didnt change with technology and adapt until it was too late. The CEOs became more interested in quartely profits than reinvesting and saving for a rainy day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom