Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I also worry about repressive governments possibly buying this tech ('Mercia included). Cisco has been known to sell Internet filtering/censorship technology to China, Syria, and the UAE among others...

I enjoyed the China way of spying on me much more than the American and American corporation way.

While living in China (my mainland time, not HK obviously), I loved leaving or returning to my apartment as there always was a cute 20-year-old Chinese girl who spoke a bit of English (and likely knew a whole lot more) who would try and not make it so obvious that she was writing down my comings and goings, anyone with me and any items I might be carrying.

I like it if someone is going to spy on me that they make it that obvious -- and cute!:D

SirOinksALot

No, it doesn't. ... It shouldn't be. ... And, ultimately in WDW's case, the product simply isn't currently worth the effort this program will make you go through to experience it.
Any thoughts on today's rollout of RFID media that didn't involve requiring people to supply more information, create a MM+ account, lose access to FP, or be susceptible to any sort of tracking? I mean, surely you have some thoughts on it considering that's the norm going forward.

Kinda makes that no opt-out garbage sound like, well, garbage. Interesting to see you've missed all the important dates or specifics around this as well...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'd also wager 9 out of 10 people are incapable of running a large scale corporation that should exists for decades. Why would I trust their judgement on what's the best thing to invest in?

Let's not goto the well and pull out all the examples of business leading their customers shall we... including Disney themselves.

And I'd suggest that probably seven or eight out of 10 CEOs in this country are incapable of running the corps that they are running.

You do have a point?

TalkingHead

I always got the feeling that Mr. Eisner wanted very much to at least try to be like Uncle Walt. Or at the very least saw the potential upside in the concept of a spoonful of sugar.

Mr. Iger seems to prefer to present himself as far too important and mature to deal with such trivialities.

Remember when Eisner would host the Disney Sunday (or was it Saturday?) Night programming a la Walt and the Wonderful World of Disney?

When was the last time you saw Iger do anything like that?

SirOinksALot

Eisner definitely screwed Disneyland over with DCA 1.0. Many Disneyland fans aren't fans of Eisner.
Heck he even slapped his image in what was probably the posterchild of DCA's original awfulness:

Superstar+Limo.jpg

Kuhio

I just don't think anyone in the company anticipated the bracelets themselves prompting such a negative response. I think they may truly have seen the MagicBand as a cool convenience factor for guests. I just don't think they thought through the symbolic angle and this has taken them totally by surprise.

This might well be true. However, the kind of negative reaction that Disney is receiving from both its fanbase and from individuals in the government can't have been unforeseeable, given the substantial number of thorny issues on which MyMagic+ obviously touches.

If you're a company that's going to be investing well over $1 billion on an initiative like this -- one that will be scrutinized heavily by the public long before it's operational -- you need to have very carefully considered all of the potential consequences, including the symbolic angle, before you take the first step.

Failing to predict that a blatantly obvious datamining scheme might be met with widespread hostility demonstrates an appalling lack of judgment at a very high level within the company. It's an astonishing blunder that's almost as indefensible -- from a corporate governance standpoint -- as anticipating such consequences, yet plowing ahead anyway because you're certain that your company's deep pockets and residual good name are enough overcome any resistance.

Even putting aside potential privacy concerns, however, the MyMagic+/MagicBand initiative is still an incredibly poor investment, given its astronomical costs and risks. Although having all of your information in one location is pretty convenient, there are vanishingly few prospective guests who would value "convenience" over an exciting new E-ticket attraction.

You just can't market a plastic wristband in the same way you can a Radiator Springs Racers or a Forbidden Journey; virtually no one is going to choose to visit one theme park over another solely, or even primarily, because it has a more convenient ticketing/reservation/payment scheme. Such a system might work if it's relatively inexpensive, and is seen as a supplement to an exciting new attraction, rather than as the main event -- but MyMagic+ is none of those things.

Considering the number of potential pitfalls that had to have been reasonably predictable, any failure to anticipate the negative response that MyMagic+ has in fact received is evidence of shortsightedness at best, and overweening arrogance at worst.

BryceM

It seems like the late 90's - early 2000's was prime time for big parks opening. Universal's Islands of Adventure, Disney's Animal Kingdom and... Disney's California Adventure.

What were they thinking when they built that park? Though it seems like an amazing park now! I absolutely love the look of Buena Vista Street. Cars Land looks amazing. The rest of the park also looks picture perfect and I love how they changed Paradise Pier to actually reflect an old sea-side park instead of having rides located in giant orange peels.

I would love to visit Disney's California Adventure.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974, another site that conjectures in the blue sky realm has posted today that the DHS expansion is waffling between Cars Land clone and an Incredibles E-ticket/couple C-tickets expansion. Have you heard anything about that? I'd vastly prefer a new Incredibles E-ticket over Cars Land (which I like very much...in DCA).

No. I haven't heard that particular 'version' but I do know there are multiples out there.

The only things that make me wonder about validity is the the idea that this could be open by 2015. I'd question construction starting on anything until much before then. And the idea that an Incredibles attraction would feature plenty of AAs. Disney is strongly averse to placing AAs in anything. Today's group of 'creatives' think they're an ancient, trouble-filled, passe form of showmanship.

BigThunderMatt

You just can't market a plastic wristband in the same way you can a Radiator Springs Racers or a Forbidden Journey; virtually no one is going to choose to visit one theme park over another solely, or even primarily, because it has a more convenient ticketing/reservation/payment scheme. Such a system might work if it's relatively inexpensive, and is seen as a supplement to an exciting new attraction, rather than as the main event -- but MyMagic+ is none of those things.

This is absolutely the most true post I have seen. This is exactly right. Disney thinks that because they've made things more convenient and will be setting what they suppose to be an "industry standard" that people will flock to them simply for this reason.

I'd gladly put up with outmoded ticketing and reservation systems if it just meant I could get some substance attraction-wise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom