Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Taylor

JzLie.png

story of this weekend

Disneyhead'71

And how many times did the "sensors" (light activated electronic ones by the way and not chemical moisture sensors) completely shut down Expedition Everest before they had to permanently disable one of the WDI designed effects (steam in the station)? And do we need to mention the value engineered Yeti?

And this is the brain trust implementing this $1.5B system? I have complete faith.

articos

And how many times did the "sensors" (light activated electronic ones by the way and not chemical moisture sensors) completely shut down Expedition Everest before they had to permanently disable one of the WDI designed effects (steam in the station)? And do we need to mention the value engineered Yeti?

And this is the brain trust implementing this $1.5B system? I have complete faith.
So that's what happened to the steam. Thanks - I've been trying to get an answer to this. Any sort of steam doesn't mix with reflectors, and that's a poor engineering/design decision. That's easily fixable, however.

Longhairbear

I seriously doubt that.

There was a long line of APers during the special Light Magic preview night, that had all sorts of problems and shouldn't have opened then. Had the bugs been worked out, it might have been different.

I read all sorts of Disney sites, haven't seen any big uproar over FP+, at least not anything big enough to stop it. Unlike a parade opened well before it was ready, Disney has put more in to FP+/Next Gen, and irregardless of some disgruntled APers, it will be rolled out.
I am merely relaying on this forum a conversation I had this evening at dinner. Our conclusion was that a large group of passholders could cause some very negative PR concerning FP+ should it drastically change their theme park experience. It happened before, Light Magic. Beyond going to city hall, the AP holders all got online on the Disney newsgroups of the era, and word spread like wildfire, and Disney was caught off guard. The result was retaliation from Disney toward it's own passholders. The result still stings for some. That wound could easily reopen. With many people that I know that have Facebook, and each one having over 1000 friends that they can easily reach all at once, word would spread faster than light.

Californian Elitist

I am merely relaying on this forum a conversation I had this evening at dinner. Our conclusion was that a large group of passholders could cause some very negative PR concerning FP+ should it drastically change their theme park experience. It happened before, Light Magic. Beyond going to city hall, the AP holders all got online on the Disney newsgroups of the era, and word spread like wildfire, and Disney was caught off guard. The result was retaliation from Disney toward it's own passholders. The result still stings for some. That wound could easily reopen. With many people that I know that have Facebook, and each one having over 1000 friends that they can easily reach all at once, word would spread faster than light.

Disneyland's annual passholders/purists are people Disney almost don't want to mess with. You one person off with a terrible offering, you everyone off. This Fastpass+/My Magic whatever just doesn't sit right with me and I don't see it sitting with other DL fans. At all. Especially the ones who've been visiting since the 50s and 60s. They're the crankiest.

alissafalco

Wow, it seems like every night on this thread a new fight breaks out...
To answer 74's question, I no longer wear a watch. I have to admit I stopped wearing one once I got my first cell phone about 10-11 years ago. I'm no 20 something, I'm pushing 40, but trust me I'm not trying to be hip :) I just don't see the need for it when I have it on my phone. The only bracelet I can say that I like to wear is my Pandora or tennis one, otherwise my wrists are free.

ParentsOf4

I really dont see why everyone is so worried about this location stuff and people actually bringing in child molestation into this new MagicBand discussion part.
Many parents have reasonable concerns with any technology that permits such easy access to their children. When it comes to children’s safety from potential predators, it’s Disney’s responsibility to prove safety, not for parents to rely on vague assurances. When it comes to MyMagic+, all we’ve heard from Disney is ambiguous propaganda promising us that MyMagic+ solves all of our woes including ending war and world hunger.

As I recall, current Disney’s policies forbid anyone under the age of 8 to enter their theme parks or under the age of 10 to enter their water parks without an accompanying adult. Regardless of how irresponsible I think any parent would be to let their 8 year-old wander off to the Magic Kingdom alone, Disney’s current policy allows it. With MagicBand, it would be relatively easy for anyone with access to the system to quickly locate unaccompanied children.

With over 60,000 employees at peak season, to even suggest that WDW does not employ pedophiles is the height of hubris. Recent studies suggest pedophiles cannot control their urges and will go through extraordinary lengths to satisfy their disgusting cravings.
Im bigtime into privacy, but I dont see the problem with Disney being able to locate you if they want based on when you buy something or check in at an attraction. Its opening up a new world of what can be done with this MagicBand, like people say it seems like they are planning scavengerhunts or something as well. Its a good move of Disney to make payments as easy as just taping the terminals. It will be so much easier for people to use more money at the parks.
Frankly, I don’t care what data they intend to collect or why they intend to track my movements. I find the mere fact that they can follow my movements so closely and easily to be patently offensive.

As suggested by Judge Samuel Alito in last year's Supreme Court United States v. Jones ruling on tracking devices:
In the pre-computer age, the greatest protections of privacy were neither constitutional nor statutory, but practical. Traditional surveillance for any extended period of time was difficult and costly and therefore rarely undertaken. The surveillance at issue in this case — constant monitoring of the location of a vehicle for four weeks — would have required a large team of agents, multiple vehicles, and perhaps aerial assistance. Only an investigation of unusual importance could have justified such an expenditure of law enforcement resources. Devices like the one used in the present case, however, make long-term monitoring relatively easy and cheap. In circumstances involving dramatic technological change, the best solution to privacy concerns may be legislative.
With MagicBands, Disney has crossed a threshold which allows them to cost-effectively track all 30 million annual visitors. Disney is trying to do it now with MagicBands because, for the first time, they can.

Justice Alito's suggested remedy is for Congress to pass laws to protect us. But as long as large corporations spend many millions to lobby Congress, the chances of such laws being passed are slim. As foreseen by Alex Carey decades ago:
The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
At this time, corporations exercise more influence over Congress than we citizens.
And people, Disney has so much security (hidden too) and videocameras all over the parks, they can find you anyway if they wanted to. Cameras are hidden everywhere, its always fun to point them out and find new ones at parks. My favourite one is in a Splash Mountain sign... :p
Again, refer to Alito's quote and the implications of modern technology. As technology advances, it only becomes easier for corporations to track us. Without laws in place protecting our privacy from non-government agencies, it's only a matter of time before corporations start to monitor all our movements.

The Minority Report suggests a not-so-distant future where retinal scans are widely used (including by private companies) to track our whereabouts. The Minority Report is based on a 1956 science fiction short story by Philip K. Dick. The movie was released in 2002 and was set in the year 2054. With GPS and RFID transmitters, we don't have to wait until 2054. The technology to track us exists today.
And with this FP+, you should only be able to make 3 reservations? So there should be possibilities to get regular FP as well for the people who visit without knowing of this system. I dont really see the problem. People will have the possibility to at least do three of their favourite rides when they arrive in Disney. Now when the parks also strictly enforce the times on FP, its not too much FP lines if you go at the right times.
FP+ will completely replace FP. Once the system is fully implemented, FP will no longer exist.

FP+ is an absolute joke. With an average of nearly 100,000 daily visitors, the demand for FP+ far exceeds the current supply of FP. That's why Disney is cynically adding FP+ to attractions that don't need them. So they can artificially inflate the length of Standby lines to create a false sense that these new, worthless FP+ are necessary.

To suggest that people will get FP+ for 3 of their favorite attractions and at the times they want is ignorance. I'll use Soarin' as an example.

Soarin's capacity is around 1300 guests per hour, 15,600 guests per typical 12-hour day at Epcot. Assuming about 60% of Soarin's capacity is allocated to FP+, there should be about 9,360 Soarin' FP+ per day. With Epcot's average attendance around 30,000, people have less than a one-in-three chance at a Soarin' FP+. Furthermore, that's throughout the day. If Disney offers a Soarin' FP+, it could end up being for 9:00 AM or 8:30 PM. The odds of getting a Soarin' FP+ at a good time are slim.

The same capacity limitations exist for nearly all of WDW's most popular attractions. With FP+, I might be able to get a FP+ for Captain EO but why would I want one?

WDW has an attraction capacity problem and NextGen does nothing to solve that problem.

Monsterfan99

So . . . don't let the app geo-locate you. Big deal.
The issue is you must use the geo-locate to use features such as ride wait times and a live map. The problem becomes much like all of the Magical+ issue then; You are told "Allow us to track you 100% of the time you use the app or miss out on the features" deal. Sure folks could say no to that, but how many will knowing they will loose out on many features of the app? If you hit that point you are down to making dinning and FP+ ressies only, which had to be made 6 months ago to even get.

alissafalco

Many parents have reasonable concerns with any technology that permits such easy access to their children. When it comes to children’s safety from potential predators, it’s Disney’s responsibility to prove safety, not for parents to rely on vague assurances. When it comes to My Magic, all we’ve heard from Disney is ambiguous propaganda promising us that My Magic solves all of our woes including ending war and world hunger.

As I recall, current Disney’s policies forbid anyone under the age of 8 to enter their theme parks or under the age of 10 to enter their water park without an accompanying adult. Regardless of how irresponsible I think any parent would be to let their 8 year-old wander off to the Magic Kingdom alone, Disney’s current policy allows it. With MagicBand, it would be relatively easy for anyone with access to the system to quickly locate unaccompanied children.

With over 60,000 employees at peak season, to even suggest that WDW does not employ pedophiles is the height of hubris. Recent studies suggest pedophiles cannot control their urges and will go through extraordinary lengths to satisfy their disgusting cravings.

Frankly, I don’t care what data they intend to collect or why they intend to track my movements. I find the mere fact that they can follow my movements so closely and easily to be patently offensive.

As suggested by Judge Samuel Alito in last year's Supreme Court United States v. Jones ruling on tracking devices:

With MagicBands, Disney has crossed a threshold which allows them to cost-effectively track all 30 million annual visitors. Disney is trying to do it now with MagicBands because, for the first time, they can.

Justice Alito's suggested remedy is for Congress to pass laws to protect us. But as long as large corporations spend many millions to lobby Congress, the chances of such laws being passed are slim. As foreseen by Alex Carey decades ago:

At this time, corporations exercise more influence over Congress than we citizens.

Again, refer to Alito's quote and the implications of modern technology. As technology advances, it only will become easier for corporations to track us. Without laws in place protecting our privacy from non-government agencies, it's only a matter of time before corporations start to monitor all our movements.

The Minority Report suggests a not-so-distant future where retinal scans are widely used (including by private companies) to track our whereabouts. The Minority Report is based on a 1956 science fiction short story by Philip K. Dick. The movie was released in 2002 and was set in the year 2054. With GPS and RFID transmitters, we don't have to wait until 2054. The technology to track us exists today.

FP+ will completely replace FP. Once the system is fully implemented, FP will no longer exist.

FP+ is an absolute joke. With an average of nearly 100,000 daily visitors, the demand for FP+ far exceeds the current supply of FP. That's why Disney is cynically adding FP+ to attractions that don't need them. So they can artificially inflate the length of Standby lines to create a false sense that these new, worthless FP+ are necessary.

To suggest that people will get FP+ for 3 of their favorite attractions and at the times they want is ignorance. I'll use Soarin' as an example.

Soarin's capacity is around 1300 guests per hour, 15,600 guests per typical 12-hour day at Epcot. Assuming about 60% of Soarin's capacity is allocated to FP+, there should be about 9,360 Soarin' FP+ per day. With Epcot's average attendance around 30,000, people have less than a one-in-three chance at a Soarin' FP+. Furthermore, that's throughout the day. If Disney offers a Soarin' FP+, it could end up being for 9:00 AM or 8:30 PM. The odds of getting a Soarin' FP+ at a good time are slim.

The same capacity limitations exist for nearly all of WDW's most popular attractions. With FP+, I might be able to get a FP+ for Captain EO but why would I want to?

WDW has an attraction capacity problem and NextGen does nothing to solve that problem.

Exactly! Pedophiles are always the Cub Scout leader, the little league coach, the teacher, or the Priest etc. They do whatever they can to surround themselves with children. To work at WDW is a pedophiles dream. Why do you think Michael Jackson built Neverland??? (I know I'm going to get a lot from that comment).

Bolna

Um ... wrong again.

RFID tech has been used all over the world for years. People who get all warm in their privates because of RFID door locks have obviously not traveled much.

Disney isn't pioneering anything except datamining and trip planning on a scale that no company has been able to do yet ... and target the under-13s in its actions.

Indeed. I was staying at the Munich youth hostel (don't ask, was not my choice, but it is a very nice youth hostel and I had a room to myself) and it had RFID locks on the door to my room.

TP2000

TP, I love your fashion sense. You have a way with the obvious, though, that so many folks probably don't pay attention to. ... The man should have been dressed in a very high end suit (at least Bloomie's or Nordstrom) and had some polish to him. Does Disney think because it has Walmarted the product and attracts many Walmarted guests that folks want someone that looks like he could be 'my friend Nick ... you know, the guy who sells Chevys for AutoNation.'

I've given up on actual suits and ties for these Orlando guys. They're just too far gone, even in winter when the awful climate can't be their excuse. But for "media day" and senior executives rolling out a major new customer initiative? That should have at least called for a basic blue blazer on these boys like Franklin. That's just common decency.

I will say that George K. always appeared in public in Anaheim in at least a sport coat and tie, if not suit and tie, and the park management you see in the Anaheim parks are noticeably better dressed than the very casual managers in the Orlando parks with their shirts untucked and a half dozen things jangling and dangling around their necks and off their belts. Hopefully George K. can bring his sharper fashion sense to Orlando and get them looking more professional?

At the very least, maybe the Orlando guys could tuck in their shirts again? Dare to dream.

Bolna

The other issue beyond using smart phones for the time ... is the fact that many young people are growing up today without being used to having things on their arms. I remember when I used to go to regional amusement parks as a kid and have to wear a wristband and hated it. Hell, I was uncomfortable wearing the plastic MVMCP band last month. ... I wonder how many kids (and adults) are going to have an issue with wearing one for 12 days straight.

Yes, and from the picture I have seen, the MagicBands seem to be just like a wrist watch. How many kids will start playing with it and take it off and put it on again - until it is finally gone.

While theirs might not have charging privileges it would be a hassle to get a new one every time Junior loses it. It might actually cost money to replace it! I can totally see how mommy will have all the kids MagicBands in her bag all the time anyway.

asianway

Exactly! Pedophiles are always the Cub Scout leader, the little league coach, the teacher, or the Priest etc. They do whatever they can to surround themselves with children. To work at WDW is a pedophiles dream. Why do you think Michael Jackson built Neverland??? (I know I'm going to get a lot from that comment).
Apparently these people never read the Sentinel police blotter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom