Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
And you'd most likely be wrong.

For Disney to get real time info on your location, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, but you'd have to transmit a Wi-Fi signal or cell phone signal, the bracelets don't have this, but do have a short range type device which isn't strong enough to locate from large distances, say greater than a foot or so..
Short answer... You have it wrong. the band does have an active radio, in addition to its two RFID tags

flynnibus

Premium Member
Put it all together with a child that is old enough to venture around the parks alone (with his cell phone of course - what teen doesn't have one of those) and what do you get? The ability for just such a scenario like @WDW1974 described coming to a theme park near you...

You forgot #4 - access controls

Just because data exists, it doesn't mean it will be available to someone

Pixiedustmaker

It seems that the MagicBand will used for personalized ride experiences, that could be pretty cool . . . and it will be interesting to see what is developed. I think that explains the wireless functions in the device, not necessarily tracking guests in the park to harass them.

Longhairbear

Do they know how to work a computer? If not, more FPs for me.

There's always people who know how to game/utilize the system to their advantage.

They can still do rope drop to ride an E-Ticket.

If the system means more equitable distribution of FPs, then I'm all for it. Especially for the out of town folks who want to make sure they get to ride x,y, and z . . . the rope drop APers can get in line like everybody else, IMHO, and stop gaming the system.
All I can say is, if they can't get the fastpasses they want, and right away, you'll see a lot, and I do mean a lot of unhappy guests. Guests who will go online and create a PR nightmare for Disney. Remember Light Magic?

Pixiedustmaker

All I can say is, if they can't get the fastpasses they want, and right away, you'll see a lot, and I do mean a lot of unhappy guests. Guests who will go online and create a PR nightmare for Disney. Remember Light Magic?

I think you'll see more happy, than un-happy guests, given that the online FP registration will level the playing field. I thought that WDW didn't have a plethora of APers anyway . . . but they could use the system to their advantage, the slice of APers who have to have FPs for all the mountains in a given day seems like it wouldn't be a lot.

But we'll all find out as the MagicBands are coming.

Pixiedustmaker

There was an APer who stood on Main Street and told unhappy APers to go complain at City Hall . . . in Disneyland. I doubt that WDW will have the same problem, and we're not talking about a simple parade, but a one billion dollar program that will make Mickey a lot of $$$.

Longhairbear

I think you'll see more happy, than un-happy guests, given that the online FP registration will level the playing field. I thought that WDW didn't have a plethora of APers anyway . . . but they could use the system to their advantage, the slice of APers who have to have FPs for all the mountains in a given day seems like it wouldn't be a lot.

But we'll all find out as the MagicBands are coming.
Sorry, but was using DLR as the example. That said, Disney stands to lose a lot of those repeat customers to other places. I am also talking about guests that we personally know, and that's how our conversation turned to how angry they will get at Disney, and create an online PR nightmare.

Longhairbear

There was an APer who stood on Main Street and told unhappy APers to go complain at City Hall . . . in Disneyland. I doubt that WDW will have the same problem, and we're not talking about a simple parade, but a one billion dollar program that will make Mickey a lot of $$$.
Yes that's true, but I am specifically saying Light Magic caused a huge PR problem for Disney because of internet savvy guests. We see the same thing happening with FP+.

stlphil

Short answer... You have it wrong. the band does have an active radio, in addition to its two RFID tags
I've got a quick question. Is there knowledge or speculation why there are 2 separate passive tags (in addition to the active radio)? Or put another way, why can't they tie everything to a single tag? (I get why they need the separate active radio.)

Pixiedustmaker

I hope Disney isn't paying Pixiedustmaker by the post LOL... Then again, maybe the bonus will be larger the more he/she defends this...

I've made some pretty harsh criticisms of Disney, maybe too harsh.

We've all had great times in the parks, and we want to see more/better attractions and experiences.

But I think this hatred/paranoia of NextGen is a little out there given that the system hasn't even been deployed yet. Obviously, we're all watching what Disney does with it, as is Congress. Can't see a sane minded person at Disney, high up enough in the hierarchy, doing something illegal with it.

MagicBand is coming, along with GPS driven interactive scavenger hunts in the parks and fun stuff like that. In a year we'll have a thread about, "Do you use the MagicBand a lot?"

Pixiedustmaker

I've got a quick question. Is there knowledge or speculation why there are 2 separate passive tags (in addition to the active radio)? Or put another way, why can't they tie everything to a single tag?

I would guess that the "tap" function is for redeeming a FP. Can't walk by an attraction and lose your FP inadvertently.

The active radio is for more than inches, I would guess, and let's rides locate you so that the Yeti can wave at you and say your name.

I would guess.

M.rudolf

I've got a quick question. Is there knowledge or speculation why there are 2 separate passive tags (in addition to the active radio)? Or put another way, why can't they tie everything to a single tag? (I get why they need the separate active radio.)
They could its not cost efficient and it's also a size issue

Pixiedustmaker

Yes that's true, but I am specifically saying Light Magic caused a huge PR problem for Disney because of internet savvy guests. We see the same thing happening with FP+.

I seriously doubt that.

There was a long line of APers during the special Light Magic preview night, that had all sorts of problems and shouldn't have opened then. Had the bugs been worked out, it might have been different.

I read all sorts of Disney sites, haven't seen any big uproar over FP+, at least not anything big enough to stop it. Unlike a parade opened well before it was ready, Disney has put more in to FP+/Next Gen, and irregardless of some disgruntled APers, it will be rolled out.

Pixiedustmaker

They could its not cost efficient and it's also a size issue

Passive has to be close range, i.e. inches. You need that as you can't walk by a FP station and inadvertently use up your FP, you have to signal your decision to redeem the FP.

Want to do more? Like interactive rides? Then you need the active w/battery.

Maybe the second passive tag is for purchases, and they want to separate the tech for security reasons.

M.rudolf

Passive has to be close range, i.e. inches. You need that as you can't walk by a FP station and inadvertently use up your FP, you have to signal your decision to redeem the FP.

Want to do more? Like interactive rides? Then you need the active w/battery.
And how's that change anything I said its not size or cost efficient but it can be tied into one chip

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom