Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't know whether I have the energy to read the five pages that have appeared since I was last here, but wanted to add a few things left out thus far ... things that annoyed me.

So, bah-humbug, on Rudolph and let's fly ...

While walking down the rose garden path behind Imagination toward Canada, I was shocked to see a cheap, tacky trailer of porta potties plopped down on the grass behind the snack stand. It wasn't open yet, behind gates and roped off and I could only surmise that it was there for this week. But it just has no place whatsoever in a park like EPCOT that has plenty of facilities. ... I wonder if they're having more of a problem with people just relieving themselves any/every where?

Spent the last night before leaving taking in the great ambience of the WL, my favorite resort. Disney recently completed the first top to bottom renovation of the rooms since the resort opened in 1994. Just since October they had added completely brand new furniture in the lobby. Now, the least expensive room this week starts at over $300 a night, so this isn't a cheap place. But as I sat across from some pig with her sneakers up on one of the new sofas, I couldn't help but think 'would you do this at home? and even if you would, you don't get to do what you want anywhere even if they tell you 'welcome home' at the gate' . ... Just what is with people? I asked a CM Disney's policy on boorish behavior like this and was told that 'guests can do what they want ... they've paid to be here, even if they are destroying the place ... BUT a CM should be aware of what is going on and immediately clean the area as soon as the person gets up' ... of course, we know when that happens ... Dec. 32nd or never.

More thoughts to come ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think the problem with Mermaid is that it seems to have set itself out to do something more than the other FL attractions, by bringing more of a narrative of an actual storyline. You're narrated through the attraction more vs. something like Peter Pan where its more of a vignette and you "make up" the story from what you remember or think about.

WDI led us down this path of a proper narrative and storyline, only to cut it short at the end and give us no explanation about what happened. Its almost as if they designed the ride in order of scenes and then the budget ran out at the end. So they just threw in an ending where everyone lives happily ever after and we sorta see Ursula being electrocuted in the background, once again for no reason.

Yes, I placed similar observations into another thread ... but it's like they took all of the conflict out of the attraction. Ursula doesn't even come off as a heavy. Again, I'm sure that this is part of Disney's strategy to not offend the sensibilities of a special needs 4-year-old or her/his mommy blogger.

There's no story really. Ariel wanted to live on land. Ursula helped her with the aid of dancing plastic creatures that in no way resemble AAs and they lived happily ever after.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I enjoy the new Captain Jack experience thing, partially because it was much more elaborate than I expected, with some nice effects. The problem is that it seems like a great build-up to something, then you exit and its over. No other props from the movies to look at, no interactive display setups, or, I dunno, that pirates game from DisneyQuest which could be fun....

You wanna see more?

Plan on being in Shanghai starting in late 2015. You'll get more then.

ULPO46

That
I don't know whether I have the energy to read the five pages that have appeared since I was last here, but wanted to add a few things left out thus far ... things that annoyed me.

So, bah-humbug, on Rudolph and let's fly ...

While walking down the rose garden path behind Imagination toward Canada, I was shocked to see a cheap, tacky trailer of porta potties plopped down on the grass behind the snack stand. It wasn't open yet, behind gates and roped off and I could only surmise that it was there for this week. But it just has no place whatsoever in a park like EPCOT that has plenty of facilities. ... I wonder if they're having more of a problem with people just relieving themselves any/every where?

Spent the last night before leaving taking in the great ambience of the WL, my favorite resort. Disney recently completed the first top to bottom renovation of the rooms since the resort opened in 1994. Just since October they had added completely brand new furniture in the lobby. Now, the least expensive room this week starts at over $300 a night, so this isn't a cheap place. But as I sat across from some pig with her sneakers up on one of the new sofas, I couldn't help but think 'would you do this at home? and even if you would, you don't get to do what you want anywhere even if they tell you 'welcome home' at the gate' . ... Just what is with people? I asked a CM Disney's policy on boorish behavior like this and was told that 'guests can do what they want ... they've paid to be here, even if they are destroying the place ... BUT a CM should be aware of what is going on and immediately clean the area as soon as the person gets up' ... of course, we know when that happens ... Dec. 32nd or never.

More thoughts to come ...

That was probably for some special event at Epcot or for renovations that night. Contractors are not allowed to use regular bathrooms so they have to bring out ports potties. And yes they can do what ever the hell they want as Long as they don't break anything than it's fine.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just wanted to add that I hope you were able to get a good luck at the Progress City model on the PeopleMover. We got stuck there for about ten minutes and had a chance to really soak in the fitting/ironic amount of neglect this very simple piece of WDW history has. Whole thing is covered in a layer of dust ala Mansion, wallpaper peeling off, Hot Wheel toy cars out of scale, broken structures, and knocked over figures. If this isn't the biggest indication to fanboys that TDO just doesn't get it, the model that arguably sparked Uncle Walt to break ground in Florida, well I don't know what is.

I have noticed. ... Neglect like that is common place at WDW these days ... and it has been acceptable since the end of the 20th century.

BTW, nice they learned their lesson on wall coatings by the constantly pulled off pieces in TSMM as Tron Track has a HUGE piece about the size of a 32-inch TV gouged out of the wall right before you load from the FP side.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Tsk tsk.. you know so much about the O-town cliques but haven't looked at moi?? I'm crushed. Ask some of the online personalities from out west.. they love my Ms and family :)

No. But I did get your PM and will check that thread out sometime this week. ... Sorry, but I only 'follow' people related to or doing business with TWDC, which to my knowledge you are not. ... Some are quite amusing. They have sites that are open to the public and they tweet their every move and they somehow think you can't read or comment on what they leave open to the world.

Yeah, DLR is going until the 7th. I'm hoping for a good balance of things available.. and lesser crowds. I still have a battle in front of me trying to convince my mother not to head to WDW for the grandkids.. which is a trip she's been trying to do for 6+m now which I really have limited interest in.

I would guess that crowds at DLR will go down significantly after the 1st, but still be moderate ...
To be fair, I did recheck disneyworld.com (think you now need a lawyer to engage the company on its main site as part of NEXT GEN) and they updated hours so parks are open later next week (mostly MK, some like EPCOT go back immediately to normal hours). ... I take it you'll be posting a trip report?

asianway

That was probably for some special event at Epcot or for renovations that night. Contractors are not allowed to use regular bathrooms so they have to bring out ports potties. And yes they can do what ever the hell they want as Long as they don't break anything than it's fine.
They're for Xmas week crowds until NYE. They also put them behind America where you need to go backstage to get them.

Apparently the copious amount of alcohol are to blame...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can help to explain that, in World Showcase evrything is divided into audio zones, sometimes a country is one zone and some have two zones but the holiday season is the worse. Because of the entertainment going on in the pavilion they mute in the audio in that zone for the entertainers. Like the British Revolution plays in UK they mute all the BGM for UK so even if they playing in the back of the Rose Garden, all of UK is muted including the promenade . When Off Kilter is playing all of Canada is muted. Then throw in the extra storytellers for each country and the BGM is muted for their performances and some of them are one after another so BGM hardly ever comes back on sometimes for 3-4 hours at a time.

Thanks for the 'splanation, but it's still not a good excuse.

It's 2012. This should be a simple thing to fix. As soon as the parks lose that music, there is a palpable feeling that something is off. ... I wonder if Erin Youngs is even aware of this and views it as an issue.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Current wait time for Peter Pan at MK is 170min.
Yes...nearly 3 hours for a 3min ride.
Are people insane?!???

Mermaid is 110min.
For a freakin' omnimover.
Ahhh...The glory of FP. :(

Just leaving that here....

I agree, but absolutely won't 'like' your post. You know why.

And, yes, people are insane ... totally insane. Maybe I should move to Hawaii and start a nut plantation (I'll have my fanboi army out there picking the nuts ... they should be very good at that!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is going to be a game changer for the Orlando market, as was Potter.

I now wonder if Disney has quietly conceded the battle, finally realizing that the window of opportunity to catch up has passed them by. So instead of trying to innovate and recapture their lost market share, they're doing down the cost-cutting approach to short-term gains with discount removals, loss of EMH, price increases, etc.

I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

Disney hasn't conceded anything. They are way too arrogant. The fact so much is on the table right now speaks to the realization that they are going to lose a significant amount of guests/revenue (even from streams they count on, like DVCers who may stay at Disney and play elsewhere) if they don't do something. The problem, as it always is, is a slow snail's pace to make decisions, budget things and start work. They're looking at major things coming in 2017-2020. ... That is soooo too late. And they aren't stupid, despite the outside appearances, they realize that 'New Fantasyland' -- with or without the kiddie coaster -- isn't going to draw significant guests either newbies or returnees.

I said this here six months ago and will repeat it. Things will get better, but not before getting worse.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Veering dangerously off topic but from today's O'Sentinel - Jason Garcia:

Disney at center of state-subsidized plan to draw pro-soccer fans here.

"Underwriting the concept is a $1 million earmark from the Florida Legislature that Disney successfully lobbied for earlier this year even as lawmakers cut state funds for everything from hospitals to universities."

Full Story

Disney looking for state $$$ that will mostly benefit Disney ... yep, business as usual.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Was there in June myself... the place literally sparkled.

It was really nice in June.

Guess I'll just have to take your word for it. I felt the same way about WDW when I was there in April. Not counting the construction, of course, but that is a necessary evil for improvement in my mind.

I'd love to give Spirited Quality Control Tours of the Disney Parks (do you think Disney would allow them like Mongello's tours?), to show what Disney is doing right and what is isn't.

Overall, though, you can't compare DL upkeep and SQS to WDW. DLR will have issues (every resort really does ... TDR is near perfect, but you might catch one lightbulb out here or there, I did), but they are not on the scale of WDW and people actually care about doing something in Anaheim when things need work.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Read them. It's your thread. You don't know what you're missing.:)

I have. I couldn't even give the Grinch my full attention, although the movie was better than I remembered it being (only saw it when it came out). And I absolutely think you have one of the best understanding of Disney and the business that I see here from someone I assume isn't in said business.

You would be my second favorite poster here. My favorite, naturally, is @Lee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom