Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

the.dreamfinder

Wait times for Peter Pan under FP+
x0UAj.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

Mr. Toad doesn't really fit into the medieval European flavor of Fantasyland at this pont, but I would love it to be recreated elsewhere in WDW. As you say, adding in a novel ride system or even just making the scenes more impressive would be cool if they kept the "spirit" of the ride. I've been one to hype a cartoon character "land" in DAK and Mr. Toad could fit in there easily. Or if they ever expanded/reconfigured Animation courtyard in DHS, I could see it fit in nicely there (would especially be beneficial given the lack of family friendly rides in that park).

Quick question: did the two tracks in MK take you to different endings? I feel like one ended in Hell and one in Heaven, but I might be making that up.
I think it fits well in Fantasyland, don't see how it doesn't in comparison to some of the other rides. It's European at the very least, very English. IASW has show scenes from all around the world, and Peter Pan takes place around turn of the century London. Both need facade work to bring them up to standards with New Fantasyland though of course. That's not to mention Pooh as well (and originally we had 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, a Jules Verne era ride). And at Disneyland, Alice in Wonderland isn't really remotely "medieval". Toad took place in a British setting (I assume late 1800's). I don't think Mr Toad fits well at Animal Kingdom at all. It has animals but they're all basically rooted in a human world (they live alongside humans in fact). Better fit for Fantasyland.

Both track sides went to hell at the end. That was always hilarious, and I seriously doubt they'd ever put such a scene in a new Fantasyland ride again. No heaven for a vehicular homicide committing amphibian! :p

Goofyernmost

I feel the MK version was too big. The cars lumbered around the corners too slowly. Nothing was in your face like in DL. Everything was too spread out. I like DL's quick scene changes. It feels more intimate, especially hell.

I've ridden them both and have been completely unimpressed with either.

Goofyernmost

Current wait time for Peter Pan at MK is 170min.
Yes...nearly 3 hours for a 3min ride.
Are people insane?!???

Mermaid is 110min.
For a freakin' omnimover.
Ahhh...The glory of FP. :(

Just leaving that here....

In answer to the question..."Are people insane?" If they stayed in line that long, then definitely...YES!

Magenta Panther

Other quick hits:

Cosmic Ray's ='s worst MK meal I have had in ... I don't even know when. $9.59 for a turkey sandwich that can best be described as the crap I picture folks buying in eight pound packages at Sam's Club ... low quality salty (why do so many people love to put salt on food without even tasting it? just a Spirited tangent) processed crap on soggy thick bread with the worst fries I think I've ever had. Salty, soggy crap. Went here because they leave very little open during MVMCP and I wasn't in the mood for a Pecos Bill burger. BIG, BIG mistake.

How is it that Disney can't get something so basic right? I was going to return the damn thing, but had already eaten half of it and felt a little guilty (why when Disney lets people walk out of stores with merchandise they didn't pay for is beyond me, guess good quality breeding!)

PoC has mermaids now. Does it add to the attraction or just further muddy the waters? I don't even know with NEXT GEN enhancements on the way.

Guess we can talk about Tron Track when next I post again (short review if you have boy parts down below, you'll probably like this).

I rode Pirates twice last visit, and while I heard the mermaids, I didn't see any kind of effect in the water. Maybe it was turned off.

As for Ray's...WORST HAMBURGER I HAVE EVER TASTED. And I think the same "meat" they use in Ray's burgers is used in the Backlot Express burgers too. :p

BlueSkyDriveBy

Yep. SeaWorld released a video in the past week or so showing off the new vehicles.
This is going to be a game changer for the Orlando market, as was Potter.

I now wonder if Disney has quietly conceded the battle, finally realizing that the window of opportunity to catch up has passed them by. So instead of trying to innovate and recapture their lost market share, they're doing down the cost-cutting approach to short-term gains with discount removals, loss of EMH, price increases, etc.

I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

djlaosc

Mr. Toad doesn't really fit into the medieval European flavor of Fantasyland at this pont, but I would love it to be recreated elsewhere in WDW. As you say, adding in a novel ride system or even just making the scenes more impressive would be cool if they kept the "spirit" of the ride. I've been one to hype a cartoon character "land" in DAK and Mr. Toad could fit in there easily. Or if they ever expanded/reconfigured Animation courtyard in DHS, I could see it fit in nicely there (would especially be beneficial given the lack of family friendly rides in that park).

Quick question: did the two tracks in MK take you to different endings? I feel like one ended in Hell and one in Heaven, but I might be making that up.

It could always fit in the United Kingdom Pavilion in World Showcase

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Both sides ended in hell.

hpyhnt 1000

Not sure where you get weekend or 7pm from. this is from the park website. even without magic hours its open until a 1 am until jan 6 then its 10 pm.

DatePark Hours
Saturday, December 29 7:00 AM - 8:00 AM Extra Magic Hours
8:00 AM - 1:00 AM
Sunday, December 30 12:00 AM - 3:00 AM Extra Magic Hours
7:00 AM - 8:00 AM Extra Magic Hours
8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Monday, December 31 7:00 AM - 8:00 AM Extra Magic Hours
8:00 AM - 2:00 AM
Tuesday, January 01 8:00 AM - 1:00 AM
Wednesday, January 02 8:00 AM - 1:00 AM
Thursday, January 03 7:00 AM - 8:00 AM Extra Magic Hours
8:00 AM - 1:00 AM
Friday, January 04 8:00 AM - 1:00 AM
Saturday, January 05 9:00 AM - 1:00 AM
Sunday, January 06 9:00 AM - 10:00 PM
10:00 PM - 12:00 AM Extra Magic Hours
Monday, January 07 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
My mistake. I posted the December 2 hours. My fault for not updating the page.

Californian Elitist

And at Disneyland, Alice in Wonderland isn't really remotely "medieval". Toad took place in a British setting (I assume late 1800's). I don't think Mr Toad fits well at Animal Kingdom at all. It has animals but they're all basically rooted in a human world (they live alongside humans in fact). Better fit for Fantasyland.

Remember that Disneyland's Fantasyland doesn't have the medieval theme, but a Bavarian village one.:)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Now are you saying that Antarctica will use this system though? I know it's trackless, but it's also going to tilt and sway like EMV too?

Yes there are videos from sea world where you can watch it in their test center.

But the sets they are going to go by didn't seem impressive in the concept stuff. Maybe even mostly projection walls

Clever Name

I feel the MK version was too big. The cars lumbered around the corners too slowly. Nothing was in your face like in DL. Everything was too spread out. I like DL's quick scene changes. It feels more intimate, especially hell.
I agree. In the DL version you felt like you were going to hell in a handbasket. The rest of the park has a similar flavor as well.

lazyboy97o

This is going to be a game changer for the Orlando market, as was Potter.

I now wonder if Disney has quietly conceded the battle, finally realizing that the window of opportunity to catch up has passed them by. So instead of trying to innovate and recapture their lost market share, they're doing down the cost-cutting approach to short-term gains with discount removals, loss of EMH, price increases, etc.

I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.
Now that you say this, I wonder if somewhere Disney is hoping Walt Disney World is "too big to fail." Would Disney be so bold to have the Reedy Creek Improvement District seek state or federal aid with their infrastructure?

MerlinTheGoat

Remember that Disneyland's Fantasyland doesn't have the medieval theme, but a Bavarian village one.:)
But it used to didn't it? Prior to the massive re-build in 1983, I gather that at least a fair bit of Disneyland's Fantasyland looked very similar to the medieval architecture of MK's Fantasyland. The facades of several rides were basically a castle wall with a tent like entrance, which were replicated for MK's Fantasyland when it was first built. That obviously changed in 1983 though, all the facades then took on an appearance that matched the architecture of their films, given less generic styles.

It has taken a while but it looks like MK's Fantasyland is being gradually transitioned towards a more elaborate theme similar to Disneyland's '83 redo. Recently with Pooh's medieval castle tent facade being re-worked into a more forest-like entrance. Mermaid has a sort of mediterranean seaside castle look. Beast's Castle and the surrounding areas are French country. Rapunzel's area as well as the Dwarf Coaster are going to look very German.

There are areas that still look Medieval, but they actually seem to be diminishing. It's rumored that Peter Pan will eventually receive a new queue since the bathrooms are moving across the path. Pretty likely to happen, and i'm guessing that the facade will be overhauled along with the queue (probably to be closer in style to California's and Paris'). After that there's just Small World, Philharmagic, and the Princess hall that will still have the medieval castle tent look.

I won't be sad to see the tent look go. I am not a fan of it (even though it is the "original"). Much prefer the gorgeous Fantasylands at CA and Paris. I got to visit Disneyland Paris when it was at its prime in the 90's, it was such a gorgeous park overall and Fantasyland in particular is absolutely STUNNING (I haven't been back to see whether time has been kind to it though). I never really looked at MK's the same way since then, but in terms of looks i'd definitely say it's improving (and there's huge potential for eye candy if they continue to expand the new architectural ideas now in place). The prettiest part of MK's Fantasyland in the past was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (the one area it definitely looked awesome in). Sadly no more but at least it's visually better than it has been in recent years.

fillerup

Political suicide

Too many already think Disney gets too much and doesn't give enough back to the state

Veering dangerously off topic but from today's O'Sentinel - Jason Garcia:

Disney at center of state-subsidized plan to draw pro-soccer fans here.

"Underwriting the concept is a $1 million earmark from the Florida Legislature that Disney successfully lobbied for earlier this year even as lawmakers cut state funds for everything from hospitals to universities."

Full Story

John

Sadly, I think it will work. All WDW has to do is convince a thousand more offsite families to stay onsite each day. With MK's average daily attendance alone at over 46K, I think it means TDO only has to convince less than 5% of offsite guests to move onsite to make FP+ a financial success. And let's not forget that eventually EMH will go away, saving TDO a lot of opex even if not one more person stays onsite.

Thats a real good point......But.....yup always a But.....I wonder what percentage they will lose of current guest who stay on property who think that this is the last straw.....We will never know, but I bet there is some who may feel this way. So some of that gain will be a push.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom