Spectro-Magic

_Scar

No, I never made that assumption at all, actually. It's not a matter of "hating" something (an assumption on your part, I never said he hated anything at all), but rather the LOGIC of thinking that things originally from DL don't "belong" at WDW. It was a contradictory statement. Dislike MSEP for whatever reason you choose, but to say MK didn't "own" its version or that it doesn't belong at MK because of it's origins doesn't make much sense.

I didn't put words into anyone's mouth. But you'll once again put words in mine.

:ROFLOL:You were using his logic of "HATE"ing MSEP because it didn't belong.

Alrighty, looks like I'm stopping here. There's no point of putting more time into fighting over stupid MSEP.

Tigger1988

:ROFLOL:You were using his logic of "HATE"ing MSEP because it didn't belong.

Alrighty, looks like I'm stopping here. There's no point of putting more time into fighting over stupid MSEP.

Wow, no. He clearly stated his reasons for hating MSEP (hate being his words, NOT MINE) but mentioned that anyone who enjoyed it should do so in Disneyland. Direct quote "If people want to be historic, they can go be historic and relive their memories at Disneyland." You, once again, are the one making assumptions and putting words into peoples' mouths.

I have to ask, how old are you?

etwtec

I agree! Disney knows their is a large fan base for both parades. If they should eliminate spectromagic all together, I expect for a revolt like in 2008 with Fantasmic! lol

I however would hate to see Spectro return with no updates of any kind. Given that MSEP received some LEDs I think it is pretty safe to assume, at the very least, Spectro will get some LEDs here and there.

WDW-Tex

I was floored when I heard MSEP was coming to WDW and during a year/time I would be there. I had the 33 LP of DL Music and listened to the music of MSEP constantly. As I sat in Liberty square on June 30th, 2010 and watched as the lights went out and the fanfare started ..... I got chills :sohappy: as the parade went on I couldn't do anything but :D ... it was pouring down rain and most characters were pulled from the floats, but MAN it was awesome. Looking back I am glad it was there and I got to see it twice.
Having said that... I am ready to see Spectro again. I remember watching Mary Poppins walk up to my kids in '09 and just at the right time she snapped her fingers (just like in the "tidying the nursery scene" and her colored lights came on and my kids just beaming from ear to ear.
:wave:

Neverland

I thankfully work in a land in MK that MSEP doesn't go through. I see it at work a few times a week rather than every night, and that's enough. The music gets REALLY irritating after a while, because it's just the same minute-long loop over and over and over again. Spectro's soundtrack is much more varied, and the music is just plain prettier. Don't get me wrong, because I actually think MSEP's floats are better than Spectro's, and a perfect parade for me would be MSEP floats with Spectro's music. I'd really like to see Spectro return for the 40th, because that's what I personally grew up with. I remember MSEP being at WDW as a special, limited-time treat on loan from Disneyland, with Spectro being the classic Magic Kingdom parade. (As you can tell, I'm pretty young!) Even as a kid I knew that MSEP wasn't ours and that Spectro was. Also, while MSEP did run at WDW for a while, it was a borrowed concept. Spectro is unique to Magic Kingdom. I think it's a better idea to celebrate WDW's 40th with a parade that started there and has never left, rather than a parade concept borrowed from Disneyland. We're specifically celebrating Walt Disney World, not Disney parks in general.

Tip Top Club

I know that a lot of people love the nostalgia of the Electrical parade, but In my opinion, except for the Tinkerbelle Unit it's old, outdated, and frankly obnoxious. The music isn't nearly as bad as it used to be but it's still a cacophony of awfulness shoved into your ears. Whereas the spectromusic is beautiful, and in my opinoin classically Disney.

Again I know the electrical parade has a lot of fans, but I simply don't understand the appeal, If I wanted to stare at bugs for ten minutes I could go onto my balcony and count the fifty-thousand love-bugs. In my opinion, several of the floats simply need major upgrading to be anywhere close to acceptable, all the shimmering yellow lights on the sides, whenever they are not on they are distracting and ugly.

I do love seeing Pete and Elliot, and the Live speaking Alice, plus the wonderful and lovely new Tinkerbell unit, but other than that the parade has very few redeeming qualities in my eyes.

This is all not to say that spectro is perfect. It desperately needs and upgrade as well, having the three fairies spaced out just gets boring by the time you get to the third one, and the spectro-men have been creepy and weird in every form. Re do some of the old floats, and do a general rehab and spectro will truly be the best night parade at any Disney park, (again, in my opinoin).

lencoo12

Would the new sponsor be especially Illuminating?
I do have to admit that I love the music and elegance that Spectro brings to MK, but there is something about MSEP that makes it so much more charming and beloved by all that view the parade on a nightly basis. I can't help every night I have the opportunity to view the parade to step back and listen to the guest's POSITIVE reactions to the parade, many of which were reflective memories of years' past, and some were praising MK for bringing back a superior parade than Spectro. Let's face it, both parades have certain qualities that fans love, but MSEP will always be a true WDW classic. Spectro on the other hand, really needs a major overhaul. I say ship it to Tokyo and let's keep MSEP.

rodserling27

I do have to admit that I love the music and elegance that Spectro brings to MK, but there is something about MSEP that makes it so much more charming and beloved by all that view the parade on a nightly basis. I can't help every night I have the opportunity to view the parade to step back and listen to the guest's POSITIVE reactions to the parade, many of which were reflective memories of years' past, and some were praising MK for bringing back a superior parade than Spectro. Let's face it, both parades have certain qualities that fans love, but MSEP will always be a true WDW classic. Spectro on the other hand, really needs a major overhaul. I say ship it to Tokyo and let's keep MSEP.
Here here!! :sohappy:

Ilovewishes

DH are flying out to WDW on Friday for a couple of weeks and it will be the first time either of us have seen MSEP. I am an avid Spectro fan (it being the only light parade I have ever seen) but I have had the MSEP music on CD for years.

And it really annoys me.

Having said that, I have seen clips of the parade on YouTube and the floats look amazing! So whilst I am already missing Spectro, I am prepared to hold my judgment until I have seen MSEP in the flesh too.

At the moment, however, I'm all for a Spectro refurb and bringing it back next year.

I honestly think that Spectro fits way better in WDW. It's our classic.

This. Exactly.

While MSEP has a classic nostalgia for many WDW guests, it's not a WDW original.

I was at WDW last January for my birthday (sorry kids, Mommy's turn!), and I told my husband all I wanted to do that day was eat a Plaza waffle bowl sundae while watching Spectro. I went back in June, taking my mom to see MSEP after many, many years. About 2 minutes into MSEP (you know, that part when they start the main part of the song and it was different!), I turned to my sister and said how much I missed Spectro.

Bring Spectro back for the 40th!!!

_Scar

I thankfully work in a land in MK that MSEP doesn't go through. I see it at work a few times a week rather than every night, and that's enough. The music gets REALLY irritating after a while, because it's just the same minute-long loop over and over and over again. Spectro's soundtrack is much more varied, and the music is just plain prettier. Don't get me wrong, because I actually think MSEP's floats are better than Spectro's, and a perfect parade for me would be MSEP floats with Spectro's music. I'd really like to see Spectro return for the 40th, because that's what I personally grew up with. I remember MSEP being at WDW as a special, limited-time treat on loan from Disneyland, with Spectro being the classic Magic Kingdom parade. (As you can tell, I'm pretty young!) Even as a kid I knew that MSEP wasn't ours and that Spectro was. Also, while MSEP did run at WDW for a while, it was a borrowed concept. Spectro is unique to Magic Kingdom. I think it's a better idea to celebrate WDW's 40th with a parade that started there and has never left, rather than a parade concept borrowed from Disneyland. We're specifically celebrating Walt Disney World, not Disney parks in general.

This made me LOL

The music is so much of a downgrade from the classic music :/

Thrill Seeker

Here's an idea...how about an ALL NEW ORIGINAL NIGHT TIME PARADE? I'd rather see something new than bringing back the old parade we swapped for an even older parade.

MaryJaneP

Spectro Forever, MSEP Never

Visited in May with entire extended family for a huge reunion. Thankfully we got to enjoy Spectro Magic and its spectacular music. All the nieces and nephews were spellbound by this excellent parade.

Unfortunately, two families we are friends with had visits scheduled repeat visits this summer and over Labor Day. Both families (parents and kids) missed having Spectro Magic and walked out on MSEP because it was not entertaining and music was "horrible."

I really hope Spectro Magic can return no later than the 40th Anniversary, if not sooner. MSEP is a poor substitute.

IMHO

aladdin2007

Here's an idea...how about an ALL NEW ORIGINAL NIGHT TIME PARADE? I'd rather see something new than bringing back the old parade we swapped for an even older parade.

Yeah that would be fantastic, Love spectro and msep for their own reasons but a brand new light parade would be a major draw.
I guess fantillusion wouldnt fit here space wise, and dreamlights would be nice but only tokyo gets the good stuff it seems. Would be fun to come up with a new one. Last I heard spectro was on the way to disneyland paris. :shrug:

allgar

Just my two cents. I did get an opportunity to see MSEP this year in early June, actually it was the first official night. The parade itself was nice enough, and it was great to see Pete and his Dragon again but the music didn't really help trigger emotion. The wife who had never seen it before was very disappointed.

As a fan of Disney who is all about the emotion of how the parks make me feel, I can say that MSEP completely misses the mark for me.

What works for everyone is different but I just can't imagine how MSEP has such a following. Is it really just nostalgia? or do people really connect with the parade the way I connect with Spectro?

Maybe it comes down to this... If you're a visual person, perhaps MSEP really moves you, and if you're an auditory person perhaps Spectro moves you. I know as a general rule I'm the latter and music brings back memories for me all the time where as pictures are a distant second in my arena of memories.

I for one would love to see Spectro come back. When I was there in June it was still being stored in its same spot and they had just jammed MSEP into the area. I know this because I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour and we went into the "hangar" where they keep the parades.

klineski96

I haven't seen it...and I work around the parade storage building...

This is VERY interesting.

Thrill Seeker, maybe you could uh :lookaroun poke your head inside a couple more buildings backstage? lol :lookaroun

If Spectro isn't back there, then there's more to this story.

prberk

Good point. BUT Spectro is totally original in all aspects.

I cannot agree with you there, Scar. Even though they are literally different parades, with different floats, they are both "Disney's night-time light parade" in most people's minds. Except for us fanatics and some other Disney fans who pay some attention, the only difference most people would see (if anything) is the Spectro music is not as repetitive or annoying as they might "remember" (when they actually remember a childhood version of MSEP).

I have always seen SpectroMagic as an outgrowth of MSEP, which itself was an outgrowth (as I understand it) of the electric water parade on Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. Spectro is a sort of 2.0 (or later) version of MSEP.

So, while we can debate their differences and our preferences, I think it is a stretch to say that Spectro is "totally original".

Paul

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom