Spaceship Earth Update

Expo_Seeker40

I agree with you Martin. They never should have removed those three scenes in the first place. Actually...Spaceship Earth could have remained very much original from the original 1982 entrance tunnel all the way from the cave man to the three computer scenes to the planeterium and to the space station!

All they had to in 1994 was just redo the tomorrow's child ending.

The internet scene could have been where the videophone people are....and the videophone people could have been after the model city of the future...since most of the ending is just plain lighting.

I do find it ironic three new scenes are coming...most likely in the internet scene's spot.

Actually when you think about it...the retro design of the last part of the network operations ceneter fits the design of the new post show! Somebody tear down that curtain up there! :lol:

wherewhy

I agree, it`s balmy the symbol of the park will be closed for its 25th (does this show the contempt or ignorance for the meaning of October 1st I wonder) - but I`m very happy the refurb is a)happening and b)apparently so thorough.

Bets on WoL taking some of the strain off capacity?

Is it possible that the grand opening of the SSE will mark the beginning of an anniversary celebration for Epcot?

WhyteAL

How about President Bush narrates? ~awe-inspiring score begins~ "Like a grand and um...milacricous...miralicous...mi ~Cheney jumps in~ miraculous ~back to Bush~ yeah micraculous. I mean it has micraculosity. And it's a spaceship. And we are passengers. And it floats...err flies...like a ship floating, errr flying. It's a flyified ship. ~Cheney cuts in~ uh Mr. President, it's time to move on to the Renaiissance scene ~back to Bush~ the ren...renuh...um...ATTENTION TRAVELERS, your vehicle is now rotating backwards for your return to EarthATTENTION TRAVELERS, your vehicle is now rotating backwards for your return to EarthATTENTION TRAV...um...what's goin' on? When did we leave Earth? Oh shoot...choose your future now by um...pushing the button...I mean the thing on the screen...the thing in your car that's lit up...yeah the button. Push it...oh shoot...here we are at Project Tom...Toooo...um...the day after today! ~trite laugh~"

Please you are embarassing us in front of the WDW community......:lookaroun

Keep moving folks nothing to read here....

No seriously we already have to see this clown at the HOP at MK no more please!!!

On another note what do you think is after SSE at Epcot hopefully...Imagination pavillion?:)

Skippy_

This sounds fantastic but their is two things said that worries me:

1) They will be changing the scenes (all scenes implied).

2) They will change the narration and the fantastic music score.

Now the only scenes to me that can stand to be CHANGED would be the final future scenes as, lets face it, that future is here (just like the future scenes before those)! Now of course the rest of the attraction scenes need updated (new more advanced aa figures, new lighting, new audio, and a freshening up [paint n stuff]) but they don't need CHANGED.

The addition of scenes will be great as long as it's in the future section and the spots where all the stupid neon lights and crap is. It won't be good if they replace some of the classic moments in history.

I'm not worried about loosing the narration as much as I am Jeremy Ions as our narrator. A new narration is necessary, considering they are dropping the history of communication in favor of the history of innovation, and certain lines such as "this truly is a Global Neighborhood" and "as we explore the amazing story of human communication" just won't work anymore. So as long as they keep Mr. Ions, I'm happy.

On the other hand, a new score is unnecessary. The old one is amazing and as long as they just tweak the end for the new ending and for the new scenes, I'll be happy. If they entirely replace it, like on Grande Fiesta Tour, I be aggravated.

The touch screens sound like a very good idea (nice homage) that can replace those stupid TV's at the begining in the time-tunnel and can allow them to put in some neat time trave F/X there (to bad they aren't entirly putting in new, LESS-NOISY cars, and smoothing out the track some, but I'm glade were atleast getting what we're getting). Also, the new post show is looking great and futuristic (even if all that stuff belongs in Innoventions, which is currently suffering from a lack of new displays, and will suffer even more once this opens). I'll miss the giant wire-tree but this new globe sounds great (too bad it's not holographic and interactive [yes, that tech is possible]).

Either way, if the new score and narration sucks, I'll just bring my iPod and expensive Bose sound-blocking headphones and get a better audio experience on the attraction than ever before (with source audio and no noisy trains and stuff)!

ToTBellHop

everything can be added to--some of the scenes could see added depth and enhanced, more effective lighting. Maybe even some new animatronics??? Several of the animatronics are old and looking plastic-like and could use some cleaning up.

erasure fan1

This sounds fantastic but their is two things said that worries me:

1) They will be changing the scenes (all scenes implied).
Now the only scenes to me that can stand to be CHANGED would be the final future scenes as, lets face it, that future is here (just like the future scenes before those)! Now of course the rest of the attraction scenes need updated (new more advanced aa figures, new lighting, new audio, and a freshening up [paint n stuff]) but they don't need CHANGED.

I dont think they are going to overhaul the whole ride with all new scenes, thats just to much money. I do think they are going to add things and tweak the scenes to go with the innovation theme. Now that it wont be communication, I think that needs to happen. I really hope they add a bunch of stuff all over the ride. That just means I have to ride a bunch of times to pick out all the cool new changes.

Jekyll_Baker

To me it sounds like they're changing SSE into Horizons, or at least a strange lovechild of the two. Everyone start singing "There'll be a great big beautiful child tomorrow"

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Believe me, growing up with the Cronkite version I was agahst and in awe at the same time with the Irons score and narration. I do like it now (an awful lot) but updating it again may not be a bad thing - providing they stick with the `feel` of the music of versions 2 and 3. If anything, version 3 is the darkest of all music wise. Version 2, with the instrumental of TC in 180top, was a real takes your breath away moment.

I just prey they don`t go the musically messy way of the Imagination / Ellen themes. SSE needs something well paced and grand, not quirky and fun. Don`t get me wrong; Ellen, HISTA and SSE are all fun, and should be. SSE however should keep it`s overall `feel` of a spaceship adrift in the night sky, to coin a phrase from Perrin.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Believe me, growing up with the Cronkite version I was agahst and in awe at the same time with the Irons score and narration. I do like it now (an awful lot) but updating it again may not be a bad thing - providing they stick with the `feel` of the music of versions 2 and 3. If anything, version 3 is the darkest of all music wise. Version 2, with the instrumental of TC in 180top, was a real takes your breath away moment.

I just prey they don`t go the musically messy way of the Imagination / Ellen themes. SSE needs something well paced and grand, not quirky and fun. Don`t get me wrong; Ellen, HISTA and SSE are all fun, and should be. SSE however should keep it`s overall `feel` of a spaceship adrift in the night sky, to coin a phrase from Perrin.
nicely put, and agree with the music theme

CJR

I'm all for Morgan Freeman doing the narration for SSE if they don't want or can't get Jeremy Irons to do it again. Irons does a great job though and fits in with they mood of the attraction well. Freeman has kind of a warmer voice and would be good for the innovation theme. Not to mention, he's probably better known these days. Either way, I'm cool with the narration changes.

I agree with those that don't want the beginning scenes to change too much. A good upgrade would be good though. I hate how the by hammering toward the middle is far from actually hitting the slab. I would love to see the same seens remastered. However, if they do change all of them, they better keep the burning scene in the ride.:fork: :fork: I love smelling the smoke. :)

I agree with the majority here that this all sounds great as long as the attraction doesn't loose it's touching feel. I wouldn't mind it if SSE put a tear in someone's eye after the exited the ride. SSE is a classic and hopefully when this is all done it will still be a classic.

DisneyChik17

I'm all for Morgan Freeman doing the narration for SSE if they don't want or can't get Jeremy Irons to do it again. Irons does a great job though and fits in with they mood of the attraction well. Freeman has kind of a warmer voice and would be good for the innovation theme. Not to mention, he's probably better known these days. Either way, I'm cool with the narration changes.

I agree with those that don't want the beginning scenes to change too much. A good upgrade would be good though. I hate how the by hammering toward the middle is far from actually hitting the slab. I would love to see the same seens remastered. However, if they do change all of them, they better keep the burning scene in the ride.:fork: :fork: I love smelling the smoke. :)

I agree with the majority here that this all sounds great as long as the attraction doesn't loose it's touching feel. I wouldn't mind it if SSE put a tear in someone's eye after the exited the ride. SSE is a classic and hopefully when this is all done it will still be a classic.

I was thinking Morgan Freeman as well. He has such a good, clear voice. It is very soothing. He's half the reason I could watch March of the Penguins over and over.

CJR

Just a thought, but it seems like Christmas is the best time to go. Since IASW, I don't think they've had anything closed during that time frame. As the matter of fact, WoL has been open during that time every year. This year appears to be no exception to that. So if you want everything open, go during Christmas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom