Spaceship Earth Update

jmmc

I'm very happy to hear about these changes. SSE was always one of my favorite attractions. In recent years, we've heard rumors of if being closed or replaced. I agree it needed some work, but I rehab sounded like a better idea. After being a long-time visitor to WDW, I'm sometimes worried that every dark ride is going to be replaced by a roller coaster, taking away from the uniqueness of the Disney rides. Not everyone wants to ride coasters all day. And it's also great it will be updated so as not to get rid of the educational theme that was always a part of Epcot.

After all that is said, though, I'm slightly upset about one thing. The article suggested the ride would go down at some point and come back in late November (I doubt the scheduling is set in stone at the moment), while I am now planning a trip for EARLY November. Oh well, what're you gonna do?

Some of you who are jumping on the complainers should keep in mind that for some of us, we can't always get to Disney as often as we like. Whether, through busy lives or just regular old lack of funds. I'm averaging about once every two or three years. But considering how far in advance some of us plan, it's disappointing to learn one of your favorites is closed, especially if you may not return for another couple of years...

In conclusion (cheers all around), I'm happy about the updates, but slightly perturbed over the timing. :)

erasure fan1

Ya know...I may be all "geeked" out with the Transformers movie coming out...but I think that Peter Cullen would be a fantastic narrator for SSE. (For those of you that don't know...Peter Cullen is the voice of Optimus Prime).

:sohappy: YES that is the best idea yet! It would also be a disney tie in because Peter Cullen also does the voice for eyeore. As well as WDWFREAK53 im geeking to about the new transformers movie, but he does have a very cool voice.

like I said in an earlier post this is a GREAT thing for SSE. As for the people who are mad about it, I can sort of see your point but not for the reason it will be closed when I go. If Disney would not wait untill the rides just about unrideable to update it, you would not have refurbs that take so long to complete. and you might be able to get the updates done in the slower times. I look at it as better late than never so BRING ON THE REFURB!

with peter Cullen as the new voice:lookaroun

Sir_Cliff

How could you cancel a trip to Disney just because 2 attractions are down? Everyone whines that nothing is updated at WDW, and now that they are looking to add some real love to the parks, people are complaining that the attractions are down. People, decide what you want. One attraction in each park! OH NO!! The world is ending! Get over it.

It's not even one attraction in each park, it's one attraction in each of 2 out of 4 parks! When you think of how much of DL can be down at any one time it's amazing that people are getting so upset about this; I was once at DL when both the Matterhorn and Space Mountain were being refurbed and still had a great time.

But at least we now get a sense of why WDW management is so reluctant to spend the time to give major attractions a decent refurb and why DL's rides are in such better shape.

CJR

Maybe they can close it the week after July 4th and push the opening dates back a couple weeks. As long as it's open for the Christmas week, I think everything would be ok capacity wise. Keep in mind, all we've been told is summer. It could be in June, July, or August when it closes. Since summer doesn't offically begin until the 21st of June, I think the May people are safe.

The park will live without it though. Keep in mind, Epcot now has Nemo, Soarin', Turtle Talk, and a new post show to keep us busy. Compared to my first trip in 1998, I think that makes the capacity greater than it was back then, even with SSE closed. Maybe, as someone said, Disney will reopen WoL since it's just sitting there and capable of operating. That would definitely balace out the closure.

ToTBellHop

Maybe they can close it the week after July 4th and push the opening dates back a couple weeks. As long as it's open for the Christmas week, I think everything would be ok capacity wise. Keep in mind, all we've been told is summer. It could be in June, July, or August when it closes. Since summer doesn't offically begin until the 21st of June, I think the May people are safe.

The park will live without it though. Keep in mind, Epcot now has Nemo, Soarin', Turtle Talk, and a new post show to keep us busy. Compared to my first trip in 1998, I think that makes the capacity greater than it was back then, even with SSE closed. Maybe, as someone said, Disney will reopen WoL since it's just sitting there and capable of operating. That would definitely balace out the closure.
Work of this scope will take more than a few months. Look how long it took to clean up El Rio del Tiempo and make only a few real changes. This SSE project will easily take 4 or 5 months. I would expect a closure in late June or early July.

hauntdmansion79

I just read the news released 4/12 about SSE updates. I am so glad they are giving this classic Disney attraction some serious love. It is a colossal iconic ride that must stay in tact to tie future world to its glory days.

I really loved Jeremy Lyons’ narration and will be very sad to see it go. It was the best narration of that ride. I really hope they don't change the first line: "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time and along the way we have been one of it's many passengers". ****CHILLS****

I am both glad and nervous that they are making changes to the all the ride scenes. I expected the finale, but didn't think they would change the first half of the ride all that much. I hope the changes are subtle. I hope the finale is as epic and emotional as it is now.

Lastly is the musical score.... I LOVE the music during the finale. I have it on my MP3 player and I play it on loop, it's frappin' amazing. It is so epic, so moving, so inspirational.... just so EPCOT! Please don't change it!

Thanks for listening

jmmc

I remember people getting upset because Jeremy Irons' narration was replacing Walter Cronkite's... :)

By the way, I, too, think anything can be good when narrated by Morgan Freeman.

ToTBellHop

How about President Bush narrates? ~awe-inspiring score begins~ "Like a grand and um...milacricous...miralicous...mi ~Cheney jumps in~ miraculous ~back to Bush~ yeah micraculous. I mean it has micraculosity. And it's a spaceship. And we are passengers. And it floats...err flies...like a ship floating, errr flying. It's a flyified ship. ~Cheney cuts in~ uh Mr. President, it's time to move on to the Renaiissance scene ~back to Bush~ the ren...renuh...um...ATTENTION TRAVELERS, your vehicle is now rotating backwards for your return to EarthATTENTION TRAVELERS, your vehicle is now rotating backwards for your return to EarthATTENTION TRAV...um...what's goin' on? When did we leave Earth? Oh shoot...choose your future now by um...pushing the button...I mean the thing on the screen...the thing in your car that's lit up...yeah the button. Push it...oh shoot...here we are at Project Tom...Toooo...um...the day after today! ~trite laugh~"

jasondiff

Although I don't have any dislike of Irons' narration, I liked Cronkite's better. I wouldn't mind if they changed the narrator (unless they got Rosie or something...).

hauntdmansion79

I totally meant Jeremy Irons by the way....I have no idea why Lyons came out. Thanks for correcting me on that.

I guess it's what you grew up on. I experienced the Irons narration so that encompasses Spaceship Earth for me. I know what everyone is saying about Morgan Freeman but man is he overused these days and too predictable of a choice.

DarkMeasures

Though from what it sounds. The attraction sounds like it is being designed to age better and update easier. I mean the very peak is supposed to be present now I guess. And the descent will probably use video as I don't see any other way in which the multiple future thing could be done in that limited space.

But it is a welcome change. Too bad I live closer to Disneyland now.

ToTBellHop

Though from what it sounds. The attraction sounds like it is being designed to age better and update easier. I mean the very peak is supposed to be present now I guess. And the descent will probably use video as I don't see any other way in which the multiple future thing could be done in that limited space.

But it is a welcome change. Too bad I live closer to Disneyland now.
Exactly...it's a very smart design to make all of the futuristic portions of the ride (and the video game-laden post-show) able to be modified w/o being prohibitively expensive.

majortom1981

hmm

I guess the scenes where the kids talk to each other through the net will be changed.

The emai lI just got mentions that three new show peices dealing with computers

Also the emai lthey sent me mentions late november as an opening date.

"Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

Through a partnership with Siemens we are building upon Spaceship
Earth?s existing attraction and taking it to the next level of
innovation. This summer, Spaceship Earth will close for renovations to
combine the classic attraction time-travel adventure into the past with
a new interactive conclusion. Transformations will encompass dramatic
lighting effects, vibrant new costumes, detailed set decoration,
enhanced staging, new narration and a new musical score. Three new show
scenes that focus on the evolution of computers also will be added to
the attraction which is expected to reopen in late November.
In late April, guests will begin to see the first phase of
transformation of the Global Neighborhood into ?Project Tomorrow:
Inventing the World of Tomorrow.? ?Project Tomorrow? showcases the ideas
and technologies Siemens is working on to help make the world a better
place for the future. The space will be filled with fun, interactive
games and displays that showcase those innovative technologies. Three of
five post show elements will open in April showcasing ?Project Tomorrow?
at Spaceship Earth in an effort to continually enhance the overall guest
experience. The last phase of improvements to the Spaceship Earth area
will be complete by early spring 2008.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
Please include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if
applicable on all correspondence.

Thank you!

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Sincerely,

Debbie Grant
WDW Online Communications

"

SO keep in mind this will be closed until late november

So hoepfully there will be no delays or it could end of being closed through christmas also.

KnK

My only disappointment.....I did not ride it more times my last trip in September. Guess we will have to wait until 9/08 to enjoy the ride again! We go every year in September, so we will not get to enjoy the ride for a while. Yet....something new for 2008 trip!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Three new show scenes that focus on the evolution of computers also will be added to the attraction
Ironically they had these in 1982 and ripped them out in `94... it`d be great if they installed an updated version of the original show scenes (technically there were 4 but most only remember the left hand three. If you know what I`m talking about wouldn`t it be great to see behind THAT curtain once more) :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom