Spaceship Earth Update

BeachClubVillas

The touch-screens sound great. Assuming this involves multiple endings, it'll make it much more rerideable.
BTW, for anyone who rode Horizons, what happened when there was a tie in which ending was chosen? :shrug:

It's been a long time, but I remember black dividers coming out and giving you your own little private showing of whatever your choice was. Of course, I was about 12 last time I rode it, so I could be totally wrong. :shrug:

WhyteAL

It's been a long time, but I remember black dividers coming out and giving you your own little private showing of whatever your choice was. Of course, I was about 12 last time I rode it, so I could be totally wrong. :shrug:

No your right I remember that also...Unless we are both dillusional:)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, ...but.......

Maybe with this new , seemingly extensive refurb...they will FINALLY remove the .....

Er.....you know........( how do i say this without starting a riot..hmmm)

That "thing" attached to the side.........

Um...the "stick"

Mmm.....the "star thingy"...

Oh shoot, i'll just blurt it out then!!

MAYBE with the new changes to SSE,

THE WAND

will FINALLY come DOWN!!

There i said it!!

:ROFLOL:
well, being the CEO of wandless Epcot, i feel the need to express my deepest wishes of your claim to only be inclined to agree with Lee. we need a miracle.....

tirian

maybe after almost 52 years in the theme park business, Disney knows what it's doing?

I'd agree with you, except that the wand, the hat, Stitch, Monsters Laugh Floor, DCA, Walt Disney Studios Paris, the former 20K lagoon, the current state of Tomorrowland, Sounds Dangerous, the new Backlot Tour, the Rockin' Both Parks promotion in California, and Hong Kong Disneyland make the argument weak. :lol:

^ That's supposed to be humorous. No one needs to flame me. :D

But Mickey's Philharmagic, Expedition Everest, the park-wide MK and Epcot refurbs, and the new sub ride in DL give me hope. :wave:

tirian

well, being the CEO of wandless Epcot, i feel the need to express my deepest wishes of your claim to only be inclined to agree with Lee. we need a miracle.....

According to Lee, we do. A year ago, it was pretty much a sure thing that the wand WAS coming down this year.

Now it's apparently being debated again... :mad:

What the heck is wrong with the decision makers regarding this structure? I know that some Disney fans like the extra glitter that the wand provides at night*, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the structure and see that the plastic panels are literally buckling and need to be either replaced or dismantled. The entire design team responsible for combining the granite Leave a Legacy tombstones with the Las Vegas Wand needs to be asked, "What were you doing?"

* Prior to the wand, the lighting on SSE changed throughout the night, much like the castle changes colors now. This effect was far superior to the blinking light bulbs on the wand.

Edit: As others have pointed out, the concept art for the temporary wand structure and the Leave a Legacy monuments actually looks great, and is barely similar to how the project materialized.

ToTBellHop

I'd agree with you, except that the wand, the hat, Stitch, Monsters Laugh Floor, DCA, Walt Disney Studios Paris, the former 20K lagoon, the current state of Tomorrowland, Sounds Dangerous, the new Backlot Tour, the Rockin' Both Parks promotion in California, and Hong Kong Disneyland make the argument weak. :lol:

^ That's supposed to be humorous. No one needs to flame me. :D

But Mickey's Philharmagic, Expedition Everest, the park-wide MK and Epcot refurbs, and the new sub ride in DL give me hope. :wave:
eh...of those, the only ones that Disney really needs to worry about (i.e. the ones the average guest takes note of) are Stitch, WDSP, DCA decreasingly, and it apparently has much in the works, Sounds Dangerous, the Backlot Tour, Rockin Both Parks (which dies soon, anyway), and HKDL. So, for WDW, the only think Disney really needs to worry about is MGM, which we already knew. I'm not sure how the old 20K is a problem. It's set aside for an E-Ticket...I give Disney props for clearing the area so it isn't as trashy as it was sitting there (a la Wonders of Life and half of MGM).

The Wand isn't being debated. It's been decided, and it's staying. As far as the Walt Disney Co. is concerned, debate over for this decade.

tirian

The 20K site was a moldy, magical watering hole for years before they filled it in. :p

As for the wand...:zipit:...don't get me started...

Let's just say that when I say, "debated," I'm not referring to the official Company statement; I'm talking about behind closed doors.

Edit: See your PM.

ToTBellHop

The 20K site was a moldy, magical watering hole for years before they filled it in. :p

As for the wand...:zipit:...don't get me started...

Let's just say that when I say, "debated," I'm not referring to the official Company statement; I'm talking about behind closed doors.
fair enough...either way, if I were a betting man (but I'm not), I'd bet it's still there in 2010.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It was John Hench and team, and I think he certainly knew what he was doing.

Too bad the actual construction looks nothing like the concept art - some of which is clearly posted right near the entrance of SSE giving away the true intent prior to some poor decisions that made it a monstrosity.

tirian

It was John Hench and team, and I think he certainly knew what he was doing.

You're right; but as others have said, the final outcome looks nothing like the concept art. :wave:

And the wand was intended to be temporary. I thought it looked GREAT during the millenial celebration; but seven years later, it looks temporary.

I actually like the shapes of the Leave a Legacy tiles, just not the graveyard effect the final pieces created. Simply bringing in more plant life would solve that problem. (I know, the question asks itself: "Where?")

mousermerf

Account Suspended
You're right; but as others have said, the final outcome looks nothing like the concept art. :wave:

And the wand was intended to be temporary.

I actually like the shapes of the Leave a Legacy tiles, just not the graveyard effect the final pieces created. Simply bringing in more plant life would solve that problem. (I know, the question asks itself: "Where?")

Boxes along the top which allow the proper plant types to cascade down slightly over the top (they'd need to be trimmed and maintained) and over the sides.

Heck, they could even carve that shape out of the tops and make them into planters - assuming they really are solid-type slabs. You don't "have" to have a bottom for a pot that can drain with the right planning and plant types - Energy's planters are made out of little tile reflecting ponds.

CJR

I know, the question asks itself: "Where?"

On top? Or do you think that would just ruin the effect more? I don't know, I kind of like them the way they are. I just wish they would remove the phoney 2D painted slabs off the legs of SSE.

Didn't there used to be something in the middle of that front fountain? I wish they'd bring it back. It (the fountain) looks way too plain.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Didn't there used to be something in the middle of that front fountain? I wish they'd bring it back. It (the fountain) looks way too plain.

The old fountain itsefl was sort of frighteningly hideous. It has this sort of black rubber (reminded me of tires) area that the water cascaded over before falling into basin. Sort of a "futuristic" sheet of water motif - but the black rubber surface ruined it for me.

They covered over that surface with the current stone work that makes the water fall with more "action." Same general shape though. Atop it had the big acrylic pillars with the Epcot logo in the top and they were lit at night to be different colors. Those could theorhetically still be installed on the current fountain (and the concept art for the area implies they were meant to be - or replaced by new pillars) but some reason they were sold on eBay and the idea was never revisitted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom