Spaceship Earth Update

Pete C

Good lord this is ridiculous. People complain that rides are being refurbished for the future of the parks? It's pretty selfish. Great...go ahead and write letters complaining about ride closures...closures to rides that are DESPERATE for refurbishment. The parks are open year round...it has to happen sometime, and unfortunately some people are going to lose out. 2 rides out of what...4 parks (6 including water) you have to choose from, each loaded with rides? You have to deal with the fact that some ride or rides will always be closed. Last year for me it was Pirates. Next year, it will probably be Space Mountain. Why don't you look at it like next time you go you will have something new to look forward to.

rdour@techminds

Wow, the journey continues.

Hello all,

This sort of information presented here just makes me extatic. I can't wait fo for this to happen. I had seen a little blurb on the wikipedia.com article about this possibly happening, but nothing official until now.

There is one sad note, but one that I will get over. I reallly liked the last few moments of dialog from our current version. They stick with me on a constant basis. That is also about the point where I peak out emotionally in the ride. It all boils down to that very moment. On top of that, you float on out of there with that wind creating the dramatic curtain closing if you know what i mean. Then the return to the original score as you walk away.

Honestly, I rode my last time and walked out knowing I would never see this version again. I just had that feeling. I had the chills when I read this news, knowing that the ride on december 13th was my last for that version.

You know, when I walk into that building, I forget that much has changed at Epcot. It is the one thing that has kept the focus from the very beginning. Since I was a child this ride has been my favorite (next to Figgy of course). I can step into the vehicle and just relax. I have 17 minutes of reflection to enjoy.

The story of communications is truely remarkable. Think about it, we've come so far in so little time. Consider that the past 100 years have been the most progressive of all. The new ending should help us to realize that the future holds possibilities that we can't even begin to imagine. Good thing we have creative minds at WDI who can help us to do just that, imagine the possibilities.

Ryan

jmani56

This post started out exciting but ended up with people acting like children, so I skipped several pages. Forgive me if I missed anything.

I thought that anybody that regulars these forums knows that Merf is a very reliable source, and probably the most valuable contributer of news and photos on this site. I don't see the need to attack him or anyone else.

Spaceship Earth is my favorite ride ever, but there is no denying that it needed updating. On recent trips, I could hear the clunky noise of my vehicle on the track more than the audio for the attraction. I think the new ending that Disney has planned sounds exciting and gives a nod to Horizons. My only fear is that the narrator and music will change - I would hate to lose that.

goofyfan13

This post started out exciting but ended up with people acting like children, so I skipped several pages. Forgive me if I missed anything.

I thought that anybody that regulars these forums knows that Merf is a very reliable source, and probably the most valuable contributer of news and photos on this site. I don't see the need to attack him or anyone else.

Spaceship Earth is my favorite ride ever, but there is no denying that it needed updating. On recent trips, I could hear the clunky noise of my vehicle on the track more than the audio for the attraction. I think the new ending that Disney has planned sounds exciting and gives a nod to Horizons. My only fear is that the narrator and music will change - I would hate to lose that.

I too skipped over the middle just because oh how some people were acting, I couldn't stand to read it anymore. The fact is people are going to complain about everything Disney does, look at the surge of "I hate" threads the last couple days, and especially the Mexico is Ruined thread. It's a good thing these people have no say in any of the decisions this company makes, or else going to WDW would be like going to a museum, if it hadn't been shut down due to no one returning yet. :brick:

Omnispace

Hopefully they will open-up the Project Tomorrow post show, more like it was with Earth Station. Siemens will need that type of exposure once the rest of the ride is down for refurbishment. It will be a lot better than those solid walls they put up for Global Neighborhood.

I also hope that the interactive screens have a meaningful use to them other than what passes for "interactivity" at Mission Space. They need to be relevant to the story: in Horizons they reinforced that we select what future we live. Hopefully the "placement" of guests into future scenes is more elaborate than the ride photos one now finds at the end of many attractions.

It's great they are doing this upgrade, but don't thank Disney. Siemens is the one putting up the money for it and I understand they have stressed the importance of preserving the integrity of the original show instead of gutting the sphere for a thrill ride.

JLW11Hi

Its interesting how Siemens really fits more as a sponsor of the "central" attraction of Epcot than AT&T. While AT&T promoted the communications theme that connects future world and World Showcase pretty good, Siemens seems to have a much more broad sence of future technologies. The post show exhibits mentioned fit with numerous pavillions around Future World as well, such as the car simulator wtih Test Track, and the Energy thing.

While some people may be upset about the change of the score and the narrator, remember that this has happened before. If I'm not mistaken, there were many who loved the original score (Tomorrow's Child) as well as the original narrator (Walter Cronkite?) and were probably equally concerned with the changes made later on. And I am sure that after a decade of this upcoming score and narrator, people will have a new fondness for that version, and will be just as concerned with future changes to that as well.

Captain Hank

Here's an article from the Orlando Sentinel. Looks like the wand is here to stay, at least for now.

Link to original article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...558.story?coll=orl-business-headlines-tourism

The Orlando Sentinel said:
We have liftoff
The Epcot ride is evolving via 'Project Tomorrow.'

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted April 12, 2007

Walt Disney World and Siemens AG are giving Epcot's Spaceship Earth a new spin, updating the ride and its technologies.

Work already has begun in the attraction's post-show area, which is now closed as Disney installs new interactive features to transform it into "Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow." Broader changes, including updates throughout the ride, will be phased in over the next few months, forcing a closure of the ride later this year.

Spaceship Earth, housed in Epcot's signature structure, a 180-foot geodesic sphere that can be seen for miles, offers visitors a slow, circling, indoor train ride past a series of panoramic scenes depicting the march of time, technology and creativity from cavemen through the late 20th century.

The ride has had minor updates since it opened with Epcot in 1982, but no major overhauls until now.

"We're building on Spaceship Earth's existing attractions and taking it to the next level," said Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez.

The first changes take place in the post-show area, which will reopen late this month with three of several planned new exhibits. The new features will be a 20-foot-high globe offering an ever-changing collage of images of the future; a 3-D game called "Body Builder" enabling visitors to assemble a digital human body; and a driving simulator showcasing motor-vehicle accident and avoidance systems.

Those features and others that will be wired into the ride are based on technologies developed by Siemens. The Munich, Germany-based company with operations in Orlando is involved in a variety of technology fields including automobiles, high-speed rail, water, wind energy, medical equipment and light bulbs. Siemens and Disney signed a sponsorship deal in late 2005, in which Disney pledged to spend $100 million on Siemens' technologies over 12 years.

Cara Allen, another Disney spokeswoman, said the globe renovations will take place later this year, updating everything from the lighting and audio effects to the exhibits themselves. There even will be interactive touch screens installed in ride cars, enabling visitors to create their own visions of the future.

Spaceship Earth's overhaul is not expected to affect the controversial, giant Mickey Mouse arm and wand structure that was added in 1999. The structure has been the target of heated criticism from some Epcot fans who say it clashes with the park's architecture.

Allen said all the changes will be on the inside.

DisneyMusician2

I wonder if the focus will still really be communication, or if they will be changing the full storyline of the ride. Not that I would mind either way, but I am just curious as to what the plan might be...

WDWFREAK53

Ya know...I may be all "geeked" out with the Transformers movie coming out...but I think that Peter Cullen would be a fantastic narrator for SSE. (For those of you that don't know...Peter Cullen is the voice of Optimus Prime).

cpeterstx

double-edged sword...

I know it stinks that so many attractions are going down at one time BUT...I am one of those people screaming about how dated some of the attractions seem to be. Well now Disney is willing to spend the money to have two high-profile, popular attractions down at one time to make them better for the future. I may be disappointed when I'm at the park but Disney seems to be listening to us and we should express our appreciation that they are finally dusting off their magic wands and plussing the attractions! Now speaking of wands, I wonder if...no...that would be asking too much...

Passport

I didn't have my camera with me last night but I did notice the sign Project Tomorrow. It was on the outside facing Innovations. It makes me think you can enter from the outside as well as from the ride itself.

BeachClubVillas

I am so excited! SSE needs some TLC so much and this just sounds fabulous. Does anyone else think that the touch screen addition seems like a little homage to Horizons or is that just my geekiness showing? :D

WDWFREAK53

I am so excited! SSE needs some TLC so much and this just sounds fabulous. Does anyone else think that the touch screen addition seems like a little homage to Horizons or is that just my geekiness showing? :D

Yes, I think so too...(but your geekiness is still showing! Cover that up! :lol: )

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Opening to Epcot guests later this month, the first completed phases of Project Tomorrow will include:

* An illuminated globe measuring 20 feet in diameter that will offer an ever-changing collage of inspirational images that invite guests to imagine the wonders of tomorrow.
* Body Builder, a 3-D game that enables users to assemble a digital human body, simulating the Siemens technology developed to perform remote surgeries.
* Super Driver, a driving simulation video game that showcases motor vehicle accident and avoidance systems developed by Siemens.
ahhhh, well, i guess i can support them since it is SSE post show, but off property they are still the enemy (i work for a major medical company to which Siemens is one of our major competitors)

*sighs*

speck76

The Epcot ride is evolving via 'Project Tomorrow.'

Walt Disney World and Siemens AG are giving Epcot's Spaceship Earth a new spin, updating the ride and its technologies.

Work already has begun in the attraction's post-show area, which is now closed as Disney installs new interactive features to transform it into "Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow." Broader changes, including updates throughout the ride, will be phased in over the next few months, forcing a closure of the ride later this year.

Spaceship Earth, housed in Epcot's signature structure, a 180-foot geodesic sphere that can be seen for miles, offers visitors a slow, circling, indoor train ride past a series of panoramic scenes depicting the march of time, technology and creativity from cavemen through the late 20th century.

The ride has had minor updates since it opened with Epcot in 1982, but no major overhauls until now.

"We're building on Spaceship Earth's existing attractions and taking it to the next level," said Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez.

The first changes take place in the post-show area, which will reopen late this month with three of several planned new exhibits. The new features will be a 20-foot-high globe offering an ever-changing collage of images of the future; a 3-D game called "Body Builder" enabling visitors to assemble a digital human body; and a driving simulator showcasing motor-vehicle accident and avoidance systems.

Those features and others that will be wired into the ride are based on technologies developed by Siemens. The Munich, Germany-based company with operations in Orlando is involved in a variety of technology fields including automobiles, high-speed rail, water, wind energy, medical equipment and light bulbs. Siemens and Disney signed a sponsorship deal in late 2005, in which Disney pledged to spend $100 million on Siemens' technologies over 12 years.

Cara Allen, another Disney spokeswoman, said the globe renovations will take place later this year, updating everything from the lighting and audio effects to the exhibits themselves. There even will be interactive touch screens installed in ride cars, enabling visitors to create their own visions of the future.

Spaceship Earth's overhaul is not expected to affect the controversial, giant Mickey Mouse arm and wand structure that was added in 1999. The structure has been the target of heated criticism from some Epcot fans who say it clashes with the park's architecture.

Allen said all the changes will be on the inside.

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

Yes!!! The wand STAYS!!! :sohappy:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well now Disney is willing to spend the money to have two high-profile, popular attractions down at one time to make them better for the future...
Just an FYI, Disney didn`t want to spend the money. Siemens came forward with extra funding for the ride rehab, ontop of what they already offered for the post show. The SSE rehab plans have been sat around for a few years now with the company not willing to pay for them. Siemens - my new best friend :D (sorry Joel)

They`d be a friend for life if they got rid of that dockside crane with a facade that stands next to the Geosphere....

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Just an FYI, Disney didn`t want to spend the money. Siemens came forward with extra funding for the ride rehab, ontop of what they already offered for the post show. The SSE rehab plans have been sat around for a few years now with the company not willing to pay for them. Siemens - my new best friend :D (sorry Joel)

They`d be a friend for life if they got rid of that dockside crane with a facade that stands next to the Geosphere....
ahhhh, they are still eating our dust on the 3-D medical imagining field. its cool. im a big fan now... on property like stated. :D

best quote to date. kudos martin. id apply for a job at Siemens if they did that.

t3techcom18

This sounds awesome!!! Definitely about time, and even though the top part will change, I'll miss the space part. Even though you could see the roof, still one of my favorite scenes to it. The rehab is definitely welcome!! :sohappy:

Me three for Morgan Freeman. Patrick Stewart would be cool too, always said he would be a good guy to do Candlelight too.

(That, and I'm back, and if anyone was witness to what happened before a while back, I'm sorry about that whole mess that happened before, and I ask for forgiveness for that. Should've listened to ya guys, but thankfully I'm smarter and more mature than I was back then :wave: )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom