spaceship earth scorched!?

fiftiesdean

marni1971 said:
It`s a mess (thanks for the pics Thrawn)

If it is venting, why hasn`t it appeared before now - unless something major was vented - i.e. a fire? There IS something on the blueprints in this area - at the top of shaft one, above the entry-to-space tunnel level is a horizontal structure that runs from the shaft to the buildings edge. But why show up only now? Shaft one runs from ground level (the silver enclosed tube just forward of the base of the geosphere up to the aforementioned level - the highest level in the structure - so any venting from anywhere in the building could end up here.

where does one get to look @ these blueprints....I've been looking for something more detailed forever!!!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
wired said:
Sorry, Thrawn, electricity flows from neg to pos, so lightning doesn't strike from the ground up.....

Some of these branches fail to find a conductive path and therefore appear to 'stop' in mid-air. As soon as one of the branches reaches the ground, a brilliantly luminous dart leader returns up the path forged by the connecting stepped leader, also brilliantly illuminating the other branches as charge is drained from them. Although discharges travel in both directions, this is termed a CG strike because the initial stepped leader is from cloud to ground.

So while the pass of the charge may be down, the visible discharge is ground to air.

I too can Google

jmicro59

wired said:
Sorry, Thrawn, electricity flows from neg to pos, so lightning doesn't strike from the ground up.....

Well you are both right and wrong:
The whole process usually takes a few milliseconds. Stepped leaders of electric current leave a cumulonimbus cloud and some leaders move toward the ground. They appear as many branches, but only 1-2 branches will reach the ground. Approximately every 50 meters a new step leaves each leader and heads in a fairly random direction. If a leader gets 100m from the ground, positively charged streamers start rising from the closest grounded objects towards the negatively charged leader. As soon as the leader is close enough to a streamer, it shoots directly to that streamer and “blazes a trail” for a significant charge (a return stroke) to shoot from the ground to the cloud.
Most ground strikes occur immediately below a cumulonimbus cloud. Rarely, a bolt of lightning can move horizontally and strike somewhere “out of the blue” (out of the blue sky) as far as 10 miles (16km) away. These horizontal strikes are rare and unpredictable. Lightning tends to hit elevated sharp terrain features like mountain tops or SSE say. Lightning tends to hit tall trees in open areas, with objects twice as high receiving roughly 4X the strikes. Lightning tends to hit bushes in the desert if the bush is sticking up higher than the flat ground around it. Lightning can still hit flat ground or water, but more randomly than it hits elevated objects. Even a few less feet of height can make a difference in improving your odds of NOT being the struck object.

:D

Woody13

Boys, it looks, are ready to rumble
The word on the street some heads are gonna tumble
Blades gonna flash when streets gang clash
In the avenue tonight

When the Lightning Strikes

Zip gun Johnnys finger is itchin'
The lid's gonna blow up in hell's kitchen
It's an eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth
It's so ruthless when they fight

And it's free for all in the parking lot
And who'll rule the Street
And the night explodes
When the cops bring down the heat

And the chains they crash like thunder
While the weak ones all retreat
Gotta draw first blood
Or they'll read your funeral rights

It's dog eat dog when you meet your rival
And the combat zone it's your means of survival
Gonna get last licks on a suicide blitz
With a broken dagger knife

And it's free for all in the parking lot
And who'll rule the Street
And the night explodes
When the cops bring down the heat

And the chains they crash like thunder
While the weak ones all retreat
Gotta draw first blood
Or they'll read your funeral rights

Oh, oh...

Lightning and thunder
When the Lightning Strikes...

WDWScottieBoy

It appears to me that the lightning "branches" do indeed come off the main lightning bolt and will hit things. I've seen pictures of the "branches" hitting other things as well and causing damage/fires.

lightning.jpg

main_8_27_03_web.jpg

And I know I've heard that lightning can go from ground to cloud, but it usually is cloud to ground. I think this photo proves that:
lightzap.gif

So, with those pictures, I still stick with my original post and think it's lightning and the other dark spots are from branches of lightning.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
FiftiesDean said:
where does one get to look @ these blueprints....I've been looking for something more detailed forever!!!

Be in the right place at the right time with some spare cash! A lot of mine are from ebay, with some from private collectors.

BenS

Original Poster
I promised pictures:

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

It may look like dirt, but keep in mind that another person saw them in May, and it's rained many times since then. Such a large amount of dirt would at least be partially washed away by then, and how would it get there in the first place?

BalooChicago

BenS said:
It may look like dirt, but keep in mind that another person saw them in May, and it's rained many times since then.

I'm surprised it has not been repainted yet. ACM -Aluminum Composite Material - Panels like they used on SSE are painted - the color is not integral. Also, ACM (Alucobond is one trade name) is not "self-cleaning" any more than any other painted surface is.

wedway71

wow-looks bad

hi all im new-well not really new ,was on here couple years back as (wdw71) but anyway i am a disney freak and hate to see things like that especially on a landmark attraction like sse.ok im gonna show how much of a disney freak i am-when i used to see something like that or any other "bad show" situation i would take pics and send the picture to al wiess(president wdw) with a small note attached pointing out the problem.alot of times the higher ups dont have time to look and see every minor/major detail in the parks so i feel like im helping not only as a disney fan but as share holder and let the bosses know-i dont waste my time calling guest services i mail letter directly to al weiss with the problem.once i mailed mike eisner a letter about how i felt about some things and one week later his executive assistant called me telling me mike read the letter and was thankful for the input.so any of us see problems we should all make a difference and mail pics to al weiss with the problems u see-like ths burn marks or any time anything else fials to meet disney standards.i would give him info like where the photo is taken and when u took it -no need to leave long letter just a quick-note like"here mr. weiss look at what i saw as a guest on such and such a day"-pretty sure he will react very quickly.

wedway71

MiCkEyROCKSxalp said:
What would that address or email address be?

mr al weiss
president
the walt disney world resort
po box 10040
lake buena vista ,fl 32830

if hes bombarded with the pics hes gonna react-hes a great guy and really cares about disney.

MiCkEyROCKSxalp

wedway71 said:
mr al weiss
president
the walt disney world resort
po box 10040
lake buena vista ,fl 32830

if hes bombarded with the pics hes gonna react-hes a great guy and really cares about disney.
is there an email address because i would have to print pictures then

MiCkEyROCKSxalp

Why Doesnt Everyone that could send at least two pictures of these pictures to him. Everyone inculde a nice letter consering this issuse. Just Write that your conserded and that this is a very wonderful disney landmark and this can not be. If he really loves disney like we do he'll do somethig. Whos in, because I know im printing, writing, and sealing tonight

wedway71

great..........

im not sounding like a shmoo who has nothing better to do than write letters and nit pic but the amount of time and energy it takes to do a post takes just as little time to print pic and mail to disney.i used to make my wife soo mad because id send letters all the time but i got responses and results and most of all i got the satisfaction that i did something that bettered disney.

well here it goes...im printing pic right now and out it goes first thing monday in the mail.(looking over my shoulder making sure wife is out of room-lol)

peter11435

BalooChicago said:
I'm surprised it has not been repainted yet. ACM -Aluminum Composite Material - Panels like they used on SSE are painted - the color is not integral. Also, ACM (Alucobond is one trade name) is not "self-cleaning" any more than any other painted surface is.
The fact is Spaceship Earth is not painted. And thus you can't just repaint the panels.

MiCkEyROCKSxalp

wedway71 said:
great..........

im not sounding like a shmoo who has nothing better to do than write letters and nit pic but the amount of time and energy it takes to do a post takes just as little time to print pic and mail to disney.i used to make my wife soo mad because id send letters all the time but i got responses and results and most of all i got the satisfaction that i did something that bettered disney.

well here it goes...im printing pic right now and out it goes first thing monday in the mail.(looking over my shoulder making sure wife is out of room-lol)
anyone else?

peter11435 said:
The fact is Spaceship Earth is not painted. And thus you can't just repaint the panels.
either way something needs to be done

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom