spaceship earth scorched!?

brkgnews

I noticed this back in April (15th or so), so it's been there a while. I meant to mention it in my trip news from that trip, but forgot about it until later. It almost looks like (dare I say it?) mildew.

peter11435

PhotoDave219 said:
I was there yesterday for a private event. Unless it happened overnight, there is no scortch mark.
Well maybe they cleaned it up, but it was definitely there when I was there May 20th, and still there when I was there June 11th. You can't see it from inside the park. You can only see from the monorail, bus stops, and parking lot area.

Fordlover

jmuboy said:
WOW - those stupid stars, ugly wand, and now the faux scorch marks. Poor SSE just isn't what it used to be.

And I was just about to sing...
The old Grey Mare...she ain't what she used to be...ain't what she used to be....

stitchcastle

maybe when they clean it up, the guy operating the crane is a closet wand-hater and "accidentally" damage the wand....just hoping....

lamarvenoy

It looks like mildew but it doesn't make sense to have it in just one area like that. I guess I'm going with the majority and saying a lightning strike.

TinkerBell9988

Fordlover said:
And I was just about to sing...
The old Grey Mare...she ain't what she used to be...ain't what she used to be....

:lol: Very funny!

I just hope they clean that up so SSE looks bright and shiny again. :D

tigger248

I agree with those who think Lightening. Florida gets some wicked lightning storms and things get struck all the time. On my cp, splash got struck one night, but was quickly fixed (I think by the next day, which is quick compared to other parks I know of that take much longer to fix things... :lookaroun ). You wouldn't have known it, if you weren't there that day. I barely even knew about it and I worked there. :lol:

Tom

Beta Return
jmaxwell007 said:
hhmmmmm, yeh, id love to find out more about this Alucobond; and can i make a car and house out of it.

You had to mention it: http://www.alucobondusa.com/ :lol: It is actually a very common product used in Commercial Construction today. We have used it for canopy fascia, soffit, decorative panels, coping, etc. It lasts forever and is very resistant to mold, dirt and stain.

Sorry, you asked, haha.

WDWScottieBoy

If you look, there are actually a couple other spots of the darkness on the top as well. To the left (around the other stars) and off to the top right of the darker spot there are more spots. I'm guessing the darker spot is where lightning hit directly and the other spots are where branches of the lightning hit.

Is it possible to see it from the weathercam at the Swan(?) or is it too far away from there?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
WDWScottieBoy said:
If you look, there are actually a couple other spots of the darkness on the top as well. To the left (around the other stars) and off to the top right of the darker spot there are more spots. I'm guessing the darker spot is where lightning hit directly and the other spots are where branches of the lightning hit.

Is it possible to see it from the weathercam at the Swan(?) or is it too far away from there?

Lightning doesn't strike like that, it doesn't "branch" like it looks like.

Its on the opposite side of the geosphere from the Swan. You can only see it from in front of the park.

Figment1986 said:
Darn.. and just when i was about to use:

needpics.gif

hehe...

interesting...
Figment,
how did you do this.

Expo_Seeker40

I've been wondering, does it look like in recent years [say 2001-present] that SSE doesn't appear to "sparkle" at all like it used to? I go through old video footage from home video to vacation planning video and in both [though vacation planning may have touched up the video]...howver both show SSE much more bright and shinny.

Now I know the tiles are self cleaning, but would it be appropraite before 2007 to give SSE an exterior rehab of the tiles?...and maybe a wand removal and star removal....where's Billy Maze and that damn oxiclean. :lookaroun

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
edwardtc said:
You had to mention it: http://www.alucobondusa.com/ :lol: It is actually a very common product used in Commercial Construction today. We have used it for canopy fascia, soffit, decorative panels, coping, etc. It lasts forever and is very resistant to mold, dirt and stain.

Sorry, you asked, haha.
no, thanks for that........ i found it interesting that on the page that lists the most popular buildings that it has covered, SSE in EPCOT didnt make the list. very interesting.

bu tthen again, i guess were i can see advertising a gas station is more profitable then SSE............. many gas station..... 1 SSE

peter11435

Thrawn said:
Lightning doesn't strike like that, it doesn't "branch" like it looks like.

Its on the opposite side of the geosphere from the Swan. You can only see it from in front of the park.
Actually I have been able to see it on the Swan cam sometimes when the sun is right. You can see a dark spot just on the edge of the ball.

peter11435

jmaxwell007 said:
no, thanks for that........ i found it interesting that on the page that lists the most popular buildings that it has covered, SSE in EPCOT didnt make the list. very interesting.

bu tthen again, i guess were i can see advertising a gas station is more profitable then SSE............. many gas station..... 1 SSE
SSE didn't make the list because it is not a list of the most popular uses. It is a list of the building that company has done. They however did not do SpaceShip Earth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom