spaceship earth scorched!?

MissM

I don't know. I was at MK a year ago hidding out in Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe from a horrific summer storm when lightning hit the Hall of Presidents building. If you weren't there, you wouldn't have known. They had it up and running within about an hour of the hit. (It had gotten out of sequence or something on the continous runnings they do.)

So, it does happen. Trust me, when it does, it's freakin' scary but not something you'd know about unless you were there.
-m

MKCustodial

MiRi said:
Congrats on the baby news! :)

Thanks! :wave:

MissM said:
I don't know. I was at MK a year ago hidding out in Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe from a horrific summer storm when lightning hit the Hall of Presidents building. If you weren't there, you wouldn't have known. They had it up and running within about an hour of the hit. (It had gotten out of sequence or something on the continous runnings they do.)

So, it does happen. Trust me, when it does, it's freakin' scary but not something you'd know about unless you were there.
-m

Ok, granted. But if did happen, there's bound to be people around Spaceship Earth all day, even if it is 3rd Shift people. We'd end up hearing about it through the grapevine.

MissM

MKCustodial said:
Ok, granted. But if did happen, there's bound to be people around Spaceship Earth all day, even if it is 3rd Shift people. We'd end up hearing about it through the grapevine.
True. You think something like that would get mentioned. It seems a bigger deal then Hall of Presidents being hit and that seemed like a big deal to me. *chuckles* Then again, it could have just gotten lost in the posts somewhere.
-m

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Lightning hits SSE, the Wand, and occasionally that little "mini-lighting-rod" (the marquee) that sticks out infront of Energy.

It's not uncommon, I dont think it would cause burns though, as the buildings are all well grounded. I think it's dirt/grime that has accumulated over the years. I first saw "it" (or what i think you're refering to) a while ago on the monorail approach to Epcot at dusk as the lighting was right.

Leslie

We were just at the World on Sun - Tues of this week and lightening struck a lightening rod after the Fantasmic Show! It was very loud and sparks went flying. I was ready to take cover after that, scared the life out of me. It was just raining too, no thunder. I guess Mother Nature wanted to add to the show! Ha!

jmuboy

I noticed the marks a few weeks back when I was at EPCOT (entering from the bus loading zone). I too thought it looked like lightning had struck the ride. But I blew it off as shadows. Guess I wasn't seing things.

Mr Weiss - TEAR DOWN THAT WAND!

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Thrawn to the rescue!

edit: Pics removed due to bandwidth, request them if you want them.

Best I could get. No idea what it is. I personally think it is caused by a couple of the rain gutters being blocked up and buildup ensuing.

(Sorry for picture size, I don't want to downgrade the size because it is such a small area)

Pictures are taken from the first bus stop, the one that currently has the direct bus to MGM. Please do not post these pictures on any other site, I don't care if you take them and host them yourself, but the first hit I see viewing them from anything other than wdwmagic.com and they get pulled.

Edit:
Links to see them better:
Pic 1
Pic 2

Figment1986

Darn.. and just when i was about to use:

needpics.gif

hehe...

interesting...

jmuboy

WOW - those stupid stars, ugly wand, and now the faux scorch marks. Poor SSE just isn't what it used to be.

SirNim

Looking forward to the upcoming crane photographs. :lol: That is rather unsightly, if I do say so myself! Thanks Thrawn... :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom