Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

Twirlnhurl

Yeah I never went on irons SSE, and from what I’ve seen in videos , the descent looks cool ig, but nothing special from the many other future scenes on 20th century Epcot dark rides. I guess I had to be there in person to fully get it.
The descent scene in Irons-era Spaceship Earth was one of my favorite things in any theme park attraction. It was simple, but very atmospheric and dreamlike. Kind of like how the extended caves at the beginning of Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean make the whole thing better, even though there isn't much to them but atmosphere. It was the kind of experience that doesn't have an easy analogy to other art forms. But it just worked.

Bocabear

Very sadly, considering how bad FEA is.
FEA is not that bad...There are things about it that are charming. The problem was being stuck with an existing ride system...even adding the one new scene was not quite enough. Maelstrom was alway a little odd to me... It never quite told much of a story...THe show scened bgan at the top of the lift hill, you sped by them and then the rest was quick and done and you are stuck waiting in a dead fishing village waiting to watch a not-so-great film.

Haymarket2008

The descent scene in Irons-era Spaceship Earth was one of my favorite things in any theme park attraction. It was simple, but very atmospheric and dreamlike. Kind of like how the extended caves at the beginning of Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean make the whole thing better, even though there isn't much to them but atmosphere. It was the kind of experience that doesn't have an easy analogy to other art forms. But it just worked.

Easily one of the most gorgeous sequences ever created for a Disney attraction. And the musical score will literally haunt me forever (in a good way).

UNCgolf

I don’t think FEA is a bad attraction however understand a lot of people on here have a love and hate relationship with it.

It feels unfinished to me. Like they got about halfway done designing/building it and then said, "eh, that's good enough".

There are great AAs, but way too much of the ride is barren. The Let It Go scene is especially terrible (and doesn't make any sense, but that's part of the problem with shoehorning it into an existing ride).

The updated version of it elsewhere is better, but it's still a mediocre attraction and not something they would have designed if they didn't have to jam it into the Maelstrom spot.

eddie104

It feels unfinished to me. Like they got about halfway done designing/building it and then said, "eh, that's good enough".

There are great AAs, but way too much of the ride is barren. The Let It Go scene is especially terrible (and doesn't make any sense, but that's part of the problem with shoehorning it into an existing ride).

The updated version of it elsewhere is better, but it's still a mediocre attraction and not something they would have designed if they didn't have to jam it into the Maelstrom spot.
So you have a problem with the IP of choice which is Frozen?

UNCgolf

So you have a problem with the IP of choice which is Frozen?

The IP doesn't have anything to do with the issues I described in the post you quoted. The fact that it's Frozen isn't related to the ride feeling barren and unfinished, as well as other general design issues.

That's why it's still a relatively poor ride (although better) even when they built it elsewhere and tried to fix some of the problems.

eddie104

The IP doesn't have anything to do with the issues I described in the post you quoted. The fact that it's Frozen isn't related to the ride feeling barren and unfinished, as well as other general design issues.

That's why it's still a relatively poor ride (although better) even when they built it elsewhere and tried to fix some of the problems.
Fair enough.

UNCgolf

Fair enough.

I think that's why they built a completely new Frozen attraction in Tokyo. I imagine OLC (or even WDI themselves) looked at Frozen Ever After, including the updated version, and said that's simply not good enough for what we want to do here.

It would have been the weakest attraction in Fantasy Springs (I'd personally probably still prefer it over Peter Pan, but that's because most screen based attractions just fundamentally don't work for me -- I don't think the average guest would feel that way).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom