Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

DreamfinderGuy

Back to Spaceship Earth - can’t they just turn on all of the Tomorrow’s Child effects that are left. Well, except for the chariot projector.
Nothing left to turn on. A handful of the 1994 descent sets are intact, but they're no longer in operational condition. It's mainly just the static props and some stray cables leading to equipment that no longer exists.

dreamfinding

That's what I was referring to. Theoretically you could get the lighting and fiber optic effects working again, but all audio and video equipment is gone. As is the media that would be sent to said missing equipment.
I’m assuming none of the stuff that was removed got sent to archives.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Honestly after re-watching the descent video recently, there isn't much futuristic about the Jeremy Irons version anymore. Yes it's cool and better than what we have now but it would be nice to see futuristic stuff....however at this point I don't even know what they would put (there's a larger narrative in my head that we've achieved a lot of the flashy "in the future" stuff but still have a lot of problems)

Horizonsfan

Honestly after re-watching the descent video recently, there isn't much futuristic about the Jeremy Irons version anymore. Yes it's cool and better than what we have now but it would be nice to see futuristic stuff....however at this point I don't even know what they would put (there's a larger narrative in my head that we've achieved a lot of the flashy "in the future" stuff but still have a lot of problems)
Yeah, the tech presented in Irons version has become very commonplace, but it poses a more profound question about how we use technology to better the world versus just spewing "electronic babble". I find that even more relevant now than it was 20 or 30 years ago.

I'd also love to see more true futurism presented in the descent, but it's such a tight space that I don't know you'll ever have a "wow" moment. At least not a bigger one than floating through the space station in the 80s or seeing the futuristic city in 94. Whatever they put in there is almost guaranteed to be projection and light FX-heavy due to the space.

I suppose anything's better than staring at a quiz that should be in the post-show. :hilarious:

Sneaky

Yeah I never went on irons SSE, and from what I’ve seen in videos , the descent looks cool ig, but nothing special from the many other future scenes on 20th century Epcot dark rides. I guess I had to be there in person to fully get it. Kinda like malestrom, which I did once and think is massively overrated by people in hindsight.

UNCgolf

Yeah I never went on irons SSE, and from what I’ve seen in videos , the descent looks cool ig, but nothing special from the many other future scenes on 20th century Epcot dark rides. I guess I had to be there in person to fully get it. Kinda like malestrom, which I did once and think is massively overrated by people in hindsight.

I'm not sure anyone thinks Maelstrom was a masterpiece -- just that it was better than Frozen Ever After and/or made a lot more sense in the pavilion.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

It added a lot of physical scenes that weren't really there from the previous Cronkite version, which...the whole "Tomorrow's Child" segment was great, it was just a lot of pretty lights and videos with a good song. The descent for the Irons version just added a lot of content.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yep, Maelstrom was not a "good" ride, but it was prime '80s Epcot weirdness which got replaced by shoehorned IP.

Maelstrom had 2 very cool things (IMO), a surprise backwards drop and whole section where you float backwards, then the fakeout of almost going "over the falls" behind you.

I don't know many other rides where you actually were sent backwards like that except maybe a couple of rollercoasters.

RoysCabin

Maelstrom had 2 very cool things (IMO), a surprise backwards drop and whole section where you float backwards, then the fakeout of almost going "over the falls" behind you.

I don't know many other rides where you actually were sent backwards like that except maybe a couple of rollercoasters.
And, as I'll always say, part of Maelstrom's beauty was that it was a short ride, sure, but the ride, the wait in the port town, and then the short (though painfully outdated, by the end) film at the end all totaled up to a 10-15 minute experience, the kind of thing that's painfully missing in Disney these days. Like, yes, Tony Baxter is 100% correct that it's counter-intuitive to have a ride and then show your riders a movie, but it just made a weird attraction even weirder, and I'll always love it for that.

Haymarket2008

And, as I'll always say, part of Maelstrom's beauty was that it was a short ride, sure, but the ride, the wait in the port town, and then the short (though painfully outdated, by the end) film at the end all totaled up to a 10-15 minute experience, the kind of thing that's painfully missing in Disney these days. Like, yes, Tony Baxter is 100% correct that it's counter-intuitive to have a ride and then show your riders a movie, but it just made a weird attraction even weirder, and I'll always love it for that.

Maelstrom has more class and atmosphere in the opening scene alone than most of the attractions that have come out in the last 10 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom