Space Mountain starting test and adjust

jonnyc

I think many of us love the parks (that is obvious by the amount of time we spend at Disney), but I think that in itself might be our problem. By spending so much time, we catch the negatives and spot the problems average people overlook. As we all know, it is human nature to dwell on the negative than the positive. :shrug:

I think this is well said, if anything it is a positive that we can find negatives and room for improvement in something we all love so much.

Back to the topic of SM, I loved SM as it was before it shut down, so I am excited that it will return as it was but in a much better state. As long as they don't touch the soundtrack in the queue or I will be upset :fork: :lol:.

DisneyMusician2

I'm disappointed about no new track, but don't we hear people complaining all the time about how Disney doesn't do maintenance on the little things anymore?

I'll hold my opinion until I see if the "little things" were taken care of to restore the validity of the theming and the effects inside the queue and the ride.

If Disney made the ride look better and made it a more complete experience again and got the queue up to handicap standards, they were doing what they were supposed to do during the non-holiday off-season. Fix an attraction that needed it desperately.

If they didn't get this stuff working, then we have something to seriously gripe about.

Figment632

I didnt want much out of this refurb and will be glad if the track is the same. I was hoping for the audio and lighting from DL however!

Mr.EPCOT

There's still the slight possibility we could be getting on-board music, right? Nothing we've heard or seem has specifically ruled that out.

Courtney1188

So kind of a stupid question, but I'm having trouble finding the answer and cannot remember...

When is Space Mountain set to re-open? I'm planning a trip for either March or May, and if it will be open for one and not the other that would definitely affect my decision on when to go.

CaptainMichael

So kind of a stupid question, but I'm having trouble finding the answer and cannot remember...

When is Space Mountain set to re-open? I'm planning a trip for either March or May, and if it will be open for one and not the other that would definitely affect my decision on when to go.

It will be open for Thanksgiving IMO. You have absolutely nothing to worry about save for some constructon walls in Fantasyland.

Lee

Adventurer
expectations based on.....??? disney never said that would happen, so why the disappointment?

Never mind what Disney said or didn't say.
I can stete for certain that this refurb has been in the works for over 5 years and has at various times been set to include new track, new trains, onboard audio, new effects, new pre/post shows, etc. which would bring the 30+ year old ride into the 21st century and return it to a state that is worthy of it's iconic status.

However, it became apparent over the last year or so (substantially in the last few months) that they had decided not to spend the money on a full refurb, and just make enhancements to the load area, some new queue items, improvements to the ride control system, and smooth out some sections of track.

Considering what Disneyland got from their refurb (most of what I listed above), the expectation was that MK's Mountain would get a similar treatment. That is where the disappointment comes from.

As Tirian said, THIS is what happens when you let TDO call the shots. The new FL is what you get when Burbank gets involved.

SirGoofy

Never mind what Disney said or didn't say.
I can stete for certain that this refurb has been in the works for over 5 years and has at various times been set to include new track, new trains, onboard audio, new effects, new pre/post shows, etc. which would bring the 30+ year old ride into the 21st century and return it to a state that is worthy of it's iconic status.

However, it became apparent over the last year or so (substantially in the last few months) that they had decided not to spend the money on a full refurb, and just make enhancements to the load area, some new queue items, improvements to the ride control system, and smooth out some sections of track.

Considering what Disneyland got from their refurb (most of what I listed above), the expectation was that MK's Mountain would get a similar treatment. That is where the disappointment comes from.

As Tirian said, THIS is what happens when you let TDO call the shots. The new FL is what you get when Burbank gets involved.

Quoted for truth.

tirian

^^ Several of us mentioned about a year ago that the new phrase was "a Tokyo-like refurb," which was decidedly underwhelming. Although we hoped it wasn't true, it apparently was.

Looks like the HM, HOP, CBJ, and even IASW will have received fantastic refurbs, while POTC and Space will have to wait for their next ones to finally join us in the 21st century. :(

Courtney1188

It will be open for Thanksgiving IMO. You have absolutely nothing to worry about save for some constructon walls in Fantasyland.

Awesome, thank you :)

And I will probably find the construction walls to be super exciting and try to get any sort of look at what's been done on the refurb at that point, haha.

danv3

If the changes are as minor as we're now expecting, what are they "testing" for the next 10 weeks? Doesn't it seem kind of early to have reached that stage?

toetheline29

And by the way, for as old and rough SM was, I loved it.... I'd miss it if it deviated too far from its original form, so I'm probably gonna be happy this coming February.

I'm with you. I was a little bit sad when I heard rumors they were doing a complete overhaul. SM wasn't perfect but I loved it anyway. Call me sentimental, but I wasn't thrilled with the idea that it was going to be completely different by the time I'm there next.

That's not to say I'm not happy that they've apparently smoothed some of the track, made the queue handicap accessible, and safer in general. Most normal guests might not even notice, but I think the rehab will subtly provide a better experience.

Disneyfanman

As far as cosmetics for the outside, some areas will definately look new. Maybe no design change, but cleaned up, painted...etc.... From the TTA today, as it stands, the whole entrance area is a war zone. They could not open without doing any work to the entry, fastpass structure and entrance signage, so expect it to look new, even if its just 1975 new.

The TTA lighting looked great tonight. All the lighting along the Ave of Planets is red, after passing Mickey's StarTraders it was blue all the way to SM. After the split towards the CoP, they were bright white, along the edge of CoP, a muted yellowish/orange, then the dark Buzz tunnel and back to red. The red is especially noticable from the hub.

My take on all the ups and downs of the MK....well, I get down here with my family usually once a year for 10 to 14 days every February. I used to look for the negatives but that would just ruin what was supposed to be fun. Maybe its the aging process (I'm now 48), but for the last couple of visits, I've started to notice the positives instead of the negs. It makes for a much better visit. I can't imagine coming to WDW once a week or even once a month. There would be no magic left in it for me. My kids (19 and 16) think I should get a job here, but heck no...why would I want to ruin what makes those yearly visits so special. Yes, I read these forums and many others and shake my head when everyone complains about that burned out light bulb behind the sign, under the rug, 2 blocks from back side of wherever...you know what I mean. Believe me, I understand where you're coming from. I used to be like you and sometimes I still am, but I'm learning, and it's ended up making my trips to Disney that much better. Just try and step back and look at it from the perspective of that tourist that will come here just once in their life (because of $$) and notice the joy that they experience with each new discovery around every corner. Better yet, try to bring someone you know that hasn't been to WDW (I know that person could be tough to find) and enjoy it through them. (Don't show them the bad-I bet they won't notice it.)

Sorry I drifted so far off topic. And by the way, for as old and rough SM was, I loved it. I've been riding it since I was 14 in 1975 and I'd miss it if it deviated too far from its original form, so I'm probably gonna be happy this coming February.

Thank you for writing this. I visited annually for years, and now (Due to a job and geography change) anticipate going once every 3-5 years. I used to get really caught up in the "missing light bulb" stories and find myself looking for the bad stuff. In the last 7 or 8 years I learned to toss the board trash talk from my mind and I have returned to the joyous feeling of my visits as a youth.

Was WDW better in the 80s? Or is it that memories get sweeter over time?

At the end of the day, good and bad, there is no place on earth like WDW.

wolf359

If the changes are as minor as we're now expecting, what are they "testing" for the next 10 weeks? Doesn't it seem kind of early to have reached that stage?

My guess is they've spent the first half of the rehab time on cleaning and structural issues, and now will move on to cosmetic upgrades. This might be the time they start redecorating the lift hill and the queue, and build the enclosure over the load area now that the heavy lifting is finished.

I wish they would be ready to do some test runs just after Halloween when I am there. Sadly it seems I will be a few weeks too early:mad:
Gives me a reason to go back I suppose.

GatorGambit

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of change for the track and track structure, but overall the ride is a classic and is still the original SM - I am somewhat relieved that the pre-refurb theme is being maintained and cleaned up. I'm going to assume we can expect the Star Tunnel music to be around for a while. With a new, darker ride experience (assuming the roofs on the queues stay on), who knows what kind of effects have been installed to enhance the attraction. I'm looking forward to seeing more as opening is nearer.

I can sympathise with what Lee is saying. It sounds like there were a lot of leaks about this refurb and what it could entail. Where there's smoke, there's often fire. From the sound of it, it appears TDO got it's way.

Getting back on the original topic a bit, I'm looking forward to hearing more about the test and adjust period. Are they running the cars at night with show lighting? Will they be running in show mode during the day? If so, someone with a video camera better find out when and get on TTA! :)

RSoxNo1

So what are we looking at for best case scenario on this refurb:

Smoother tracks, darker ride, changes in the lift hill, improved launch tunnell, enclosed queue, better starfield projector? How unrealstic is all that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom