Space Mountain starting test and adjust

EPCOT Explorer

Well it was still daylight when I was on it but they were colorful! :lol:
Ah...:lol: Sorry!

There's still the slight possibility we could be getting on-board music, right? Nothing we've heard or seem has specifically ruled that out.

I would hope...but...look below..:(
Never mind what Disney said or didn't say.
I can stete for certain that this refurb has been in the works for over 5 years and has at various times been set to include new track, new trains, onboard audio, new effects, new pre/post shows, etc. which would bring the 30+ year old ride into the 21st century and return it to a state that is worthy of it's iconic status.

However, it became apparent over the last year or so (substantially in the last few months) that they had decided not to spend the money on a full refurb, and just make enhancements to the load area, some new queue items, improvements to the ride control system, and smooth out some sections of track.

Considering what Disneyland got from their refurb (most of what I listed above), the expectation was that MK's Mountain would get a similar treatment. That is where the disappointment comes from.

As Tirian said, THIS is what happens when you let TDO call the shots. The new FL is what you get when Burbank gets involved.

^^ Several of us mentioned about a year ago that the new phrase was "a Tokyo-like refurb," which was decidedly underwhelming. Although we hoped it wasn't true, it apparently was.

Looks like the HM, HOP, CBJ, and even IASW will have received fantastic refurbs, while POTC and Space will have to wait for their next ones to finally join us in the 21st century. :(

Indeed I was. 15 months ago the list of things to be done during the 12-18 month refurb that was planned back then was as long as my arm, would have made this the 2nd best, maybe the #1 Space Mountain period, and would have been reopened with a publicity extravaganza.

Not any more.
*sigh*:(

So....even worse than Tokyo?:lookaroun

timetopretend

Original Poster
If the changes are as minor as we're now expecting, what are they "testing" for the next 10 weeks? Doesn't it seem kind of early to have reached that stage?

The testing is on the ride system. For all intents and purposes, the ride control system is brand new. All of the sensors along the track have been replaced, operator consoles are new, and most importantly motors with kicker wheels have been added at all of the break zones throughout the ride path. What this last part does, as alluded to in a previous post, is it will prevent SM from going 101. Prior to this refurb, if the trains started stacking at unload it would cause break zones before the unload zones to start stopping trains entering them as a safety precaution. The problem was that once these trains stopped, they could not be started again automatically and thus the ride would have to be evacuated and the trains would have to be manually cleared. With motors and kicker wheels at all of the break zones as soon as the block in front of each train is clear the wheels can push the train forward, loaded with guests, and the ride will resume operation. Effectively the ride would be back up in 5 minutes instead of an hour plus. Additionally, the load station has been reconfigured for the addition of air gates and this configuration has to be tested to insure proper timing.

In my opinion from what I know, without the asbestos abatement, roof over the load additions, and the ride control system upgrade, almost everything in this refurb could have been done over 3rd shift or a few weeks of downtime.

As a summary, here is what I know has been done during the refurb directly pertaining to the ride or ride experience...

• Ride control system upgrade
  • Load station roof
  • Load station reconfiguration
  • Load station queue theme enhancements (theming on operator consoles, air gates, etc)
  • Load station queue reconfiguration to enhance fastpass and standby efficiency/confusion
  • Interactive queue elements in load station
  • Rework of some problem areas of the track
  • Reconfiguration of bogeys (guide wheels) on trains (NOT NEW TRAINS!)
Things that I think are likely, but I really have no idea or information on...

• Upgraded/improved launch and reentry tunnels (these could probably be updated relatively cheaply)
  • Improved queue including lighting and queue effects (windows...) to match with new theme additions in load station (again, all of this could be done relatively cheaply)
  • Enhancements to unload area to match load theme (again... relatively cheap)
Anyways, just my input and what I know. Take it for what it is, especially my "likely" enhancements. The overall feeling I get here is of a polish refurb, not a relaunch. Small enhancements that will improve the experience but nothing earth shattering.

jonnyc

No....not a cookie. :rolleyes:
A piece of coral is what it was.
And I will be fine without it. Maybe we can get a swirling black hole or something....

It always made me want to have a cookie though, clever advertising from Disney there.

Hummer1676

Alot of you out there hate the track layout, but i think it is 10 times better then the Disneyland one. There is definently more airtime and quicker turns. I prefer MK SM and thank them for keeping the original track. It would have been cool if they redesigned the whole mountain, but i will take the old track and love it.

jonnyc

Alot of you out there hate the track layout, but i think it is 10 times better then the Disneyland one. There is definently more airtime and quicker turns. I prefer MK SM and thank them for keeping the original track. It would have been cool if they redesigned the whole mountain, but i will take the old track and love it.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the following statement, but I was under the impression at one stage they were going to replace the track but it was to be the same layout as it was anyway. Although i am not entirely sure that i didn't dream this up :confused:.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not sure about the accuracy of the following statement, but I was under the impression at one stage they were going to replace the track but it was to be the same layout as it was anyway. Although i am not entirely sure that i didn't dream this up :confused:.
You didn`t dream it. Sadly.

SirGoofy

No one hated the track layout.

We hate that it's not getting replaced like Disneyland's.

janoimagine

No one hated the track layout.

We hate that it's not getting replaced like Disneyland's.

Exactly - side note for the Goof, I just read over at progress city that according to Jacobson (No idea who that is, maybe you do) Alladdin's Carpets are staying in AL. Are your sources still saying that their moving?

SirGoofy

Exactly - side note for the Goof, I just read over at progress city that according to Jacobson (No idea who that is, maybe you do) Alladdin's Carpets are staying in AL. Are your sources still saying that their moving?

As of now? No. The infernal things are going to stay. I saw that yesterday.

There may be a change in a year or two, but as of now, they're staying put.

Shame too.

janoimagine

As of now? No. The infernal things are going to stay. I saw that yesterday.

There may be a change in a year or two, but as of now, they're staying put.

Shame too.

D@mn ... I was hoping the plaza would return to the way it looked when I was a kid. Way less cluttered. Oh well .... :(

Atomicmickey

The testing is on the ride system. For all intents and purposes, the ride control system is brand new. All of the sensors along the track have been replaced, operator consoles are new, and most importantly motors with kicker wheels have been added at all of the break zones throughout the ride path. What this last part does, as alluded to in a previous post, is it will prevent SM from going 101. Prior to this refurb, if the trains started stacking at unload it would cause break zones before the unload zones to start stopping trains entering them as a safety precaution. The problem was that once these trains stopped, they could not be started again automatically and thus the ride would have to be evacuated and the trains would have to be manually cleared. With motors and kicker wheels at all of the break zones as soon as the block in front of each train is clear the wheels can push the train forward, loaded with guests, and the ride will resume operation. Effectively the ride would be back up in 5 minutes instead of an hour plus. Additionally, the load station has been reconfigured for the addition of air gates and this configuration has to be tested to insure proper timing.

In my opinion from what I know, without the asbestos abatement, roof over the load additions, and the ride control system upgrade, almost everything in this refurb could have been done over 3rd shift or a few weeks of downtime.

As a summary, here is what I know has been done during the refurb directly pertaining to the ride or ride experience...

• Load station roof
  • Load station queue theme enhancements (theming on operator consoles, air gates, etc)
  • Load station queue reconfiguration to enhance fastpass and standby efficiency/confusion

• Upgraded/improved launch and reentry tunnels (these could probably be updated relatively cheaply)
  • Improved queue including lighting and queue effects (windows...) to match with new theme additions in load station (again, all of this could be done relatively cheaply)
Anyways, just my input and what I know. Take it for what it is, especially my "likely" enhancements. The overall feeling I get here is of a polish refurb, not a relaunch. Small enhancements that will improve the experience but nothing earth shattering.

WOW. Someone with ACTUAL FACTUAL INFORMATION.

Thanks for posting this. Sounds like the ride will operate better, with less down time, increased safety.

It's not the "guest experience" refurb that we all would like, but sounds like
it needed to be done, anyway. You stated that it "might" have been able
to be done 3rd shift, but I guess someone looking at the plans and schedule thought otherwise. I'm sure they wouldn't take a headliner off the park map for no reason.

Thanks again, this was interesting to read!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
At the risk of making two positive posts, Im more than happy if all it gets is some TLC and care and maintenance, the ride was/is fun as it was, just a little worn at the edges. And its still Princess free.

majortom1981

Hmm if they are replacing the wheels then the track might not need to be replaced. Just look at the rockit coaster reports from universal. The wheels could make the coaster rough (at rockit all the cars a re good expcept one which is rough).. so maybe they tested changes to the cars and determined that replacing the wheels was enough.

Maybe I am in the minority but I liked space mountain. IF they are just updating and fixing some effects and making it less rough i wouldnt mind. This is coming from somebody who got stuck on the ride because my restraints wouldnt lift up (took them wheeling me into maintanance and using a crow bar and a big hammer (whi is s l e d g e hammer banned ?) to get me out. took them an hour to do).

Space Mountain

• Load station roof

You're fired.:fork:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
You're fired.:fork:

allan_sugar_channel_7.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom