Space Mountain Rehab confirmed!

cmatt

I know the day Space Mountain closes for a massive and lengthy refurb me, lee, marini, tirian, and several others on this forum will rejoice in celebration!

Space Mountain in its current state is pathetic and its outragous that disney has let it fall apart the way it did. What used to be a fun, zippy, state of the art coaster with a big postshow is now as rickety and poorly maintained as something at a local carnivale.

deffo sir... :)

LAPVLB

i spoke with a monorail CM and heard the same thing...major refurb, DL-like seating, etc.

and yes, SM is in a horrid state at the moment. it was 101 at least 3 or 4 times a day for a week, most likely longer. this may just be operator error, or the fact that the ride appears to be running on XP, but no matter. it's old. and it took the CMs over an hour to get it up and running each time. it was sad :(

LoriMistress

Confirmed by Cast members, Space Mountain will go down in Janurary 2008. Main reason, seperate standby from fastpass! No big upgrades! Just lets hope that it'll be up again in April!

Well, just because CM said it doesn't mean it's true. Until Disney officially makes the statement, then it's just a rumor. But I'm sure it will come true. I don't like the MK version of SM. And didn't like it before they refurbished the DLR version.

Epcot82Guy

I will be interested to see how this turns out. I still find SM to be outstanding, but I agree it needs to be fixed. I'm hoping for more of a HM or IASM instead of a TT, though.

csm

That's BS....

Im going there from January 3rd-4th until January 12-13th........ Am I going to miss it ? Everyone were dreaming to do space mountain..... NOOO........

Is the refurb starting on January 1st ?

Thanks!

It's BS, just because you might miss it?

I love how people seem to have this idea that disney plans refurbishments around *their* trip plans. You and literally millions of other people are going to miss Space Mountain on the trips once this rehab starts. So what? It's for the greater good.

csm

I know the day Space Mountain closes for a massive and lengthy refurb me, lee, marini, tirian, and several others on this forum will rejoice in celebration!

Space Mountain in its current state is pathetic and its outragous that disney has let it fall apart the way it did. What used to be a fun, zippy, state of the art coaster with a big postshow is now as rickety and poorly maintained as something at a local carnivale.

Here, here!

Add me to that list. Pathetic is just a fantastically appropriate way of describing the ride's condition.

csm

:sohappy: :fork: :fork: :drevil: :rolleyes: :king:
When I was just on SM last week, parts of earth (the picture on the ceiling) were chipping off and the track was bright enough to easy see the coaster structure. The previous time I rode it (exactly a year ago) it was not nearly in this bad of shape (although it was no prize pig, either). The chipping earth was really what stood out the most to me.

I know I sure do hate when I'm watching a video that's chipped! What is disney thinking!!!!#$!## They should fix the chipped project, BUT NOT CLOSE THE RIDE BECAUSE I MIGHT PLAN A TRIP LOLZ!#$!$!$ :snore: :sohappy: :( :goodnevil

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Actually a bus driver told me that they are planning to add and additional floor to the top of SM...

but that's another story. :lookaroun

:hammer: BTW, it was 101 for most of the day today. At least I got to see it with the lights on from the TTA. :sohappy:

landauh

Talked with a SM Engineer and was informed that he was told that he will be assisting with the refurb, but has not yet been told when it will start or exactly what the changes will be.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
and yes, SM is in a horrid state at the moment. it was 101 at least 3 or 4 times a day for a week, most likely longer. this may just be operator error, or the fact that the ride appears to be running on XP, but no matter. it's old. and it took the CMs over an hour to get it up and running each time. it was sad :(

Weather its running on XP, Linux, or MacOS is neither here or there. I'd be willing to bet its the custom ops software itself (no so much the OS) which is the issue. Get some decent developers in there.. and fix it!

Annnyway OS's aside... the old track needs to be completely torn out and new stuff put in. I have not ridden SM in the past couple of years. Basically because I don’t have the desire to find and emergency Chiropractor during my wdw trips, after riding said ride. Everest, Dinosaur... and all the rest I can ride. Just for some reason... I cannot bring myself (or my back) to ride SM anymore in its current state.

jmuboy

The DL version does indeed have a large "figure 8" layout. However, it does have a drop about 2/3 the way through the ride. Not a 200 foot drop, but yes, a drop. Plus DL's seating design, absolute darkness, updated effects, cleaned up and modernized queue, enclosed station (wdw's has the open roof that bleeds light into the ride), etc all combine to make DL's SM heads and shoulders above the WDW version. Hands down! No debate even needed. Of course this is all just my opinion.

Now my rant: I don't think WDW mgmt has the nerve it takes to close SM for a long time and do a DL style "rebuild" of the ride. WDW mgmt will simply take the cheap route. I just don't have the faith that the WDW MK will get the money it deserves....not until I actually see it happen.

WDWFigment

:sohappy: :fork: :fork: :drevil: :rolleyes: :king:

I know I sure do hate when I'm watching a video that's chipped! What is disney thinking!!!!#$!## They should fix the chipped project, BUT NOT CLOSE THE RIDE BECAUSE I MIGHT PLAN A TRIP LOLZ!#$!$!$ :snore: :sohappy: :( :goodnevil

(I read this a few times trying to determine if any of this sarcasm is levied at me, and I don't think so, if so and I missed it, my bad). Unfortunately, people will think, "okay, fix the projector and make the track darker...that'll take a month or so, so it can still be open for my trip!" No folks, the cheap route is not the way to go. Face the music: if you have a trip planned in '08, you will not be riding Space Mountain during that trip.

The person going in January doesn't have any more of a right to be upset than the person going in July. There are other attractions to experience. I would be quite excited if it's still down when I go in May '09--not because I won't get to experience one of my favorite attractions, but because I'll know it's getting the work it so desperately needs. So we can't ride it on one or two trips? The attraction we get for all subsequent trips will be considerably better.

Now my rant: I don't think WDW mgmt has the nerve it takes to close SM for a long time and do a DL style "rebuild" of the ride. WDW mgmt will simply take the cheap route. I just don't have the faith that the WDW MK will get the money it deserves....not until I actually see it happen.

I think we will "see it happen" in a month when HM reopens. This is a bit longer of a refurb, but hopefully we can still get it!

it was 101 at least 3 or 4 times a day for a week, most likely longer. this may just be operator error, or the fact that the ride appears to be running on XP, but no matter. it's old. and it took the CMs over an hour to get it up and running each time. it was sad :(

Almost 95% of all Downtimes at Space Mountain are guest created.

They are all caused by guest taking to long to get off the ride.

There are only 4 places for trains to park in the unload area. Once all 4 are filled the ride will break down.

Also, it usuauly only takes 15 or 20 min to ge the ride re-open and running. Once it is back up and running they wil opent he Fp line inside, and allow all of those guest to ride, then they start taking in the standby line inside the building and allowing them to ride, and rememebr this could be 30 to 40 minutes worth of guest.

Once all guest who made it inside the buildign get to ride, then they start letting new guest into the building, FP followed by Standby.

So the ride may be running in 15 or 20 min, but becuase we want o get all guest whp are in the queue a chance to ride, before we start letting more peopel in, it could be about an hour for the outside line to re-open.

But everone need to know, it aint CM's fault this ride breaks down, it is guest, who take there own sweet time getting out, which is what breaks this ride down.

LAPVLB

Almost 95% of all Downtimes at Space Mountain are guest created.

They are all caused by guest taking to long to get off the ride.

There are only 4 places for trains to park in the unload area. Once all 4 are filled the ride will break down.

Also, it usuauly only takes 15 or 20 min to ge the ride re-open and running. Once it is back up and running they wil opent he Fp line inside, and allow all of those guest to ride, then they start taking in the standby line inside the building and allowing them to ride, and rememebr this could be 30 to 40 minutes worth of guest.

[...]
But everone need to know, it aint CM's fault this ride breaks down, it is guest, who take there own sweet time getting out, which is what breaks this ride down.

that's what the CM told me when i asked....but the three times i checked on SM that day it took 1+ hours before they could actually get it moving again to allow the FPs on.

dizpins14

I was an attractions cast member in Tomorrowland and was good friends with one of the managers who said Space Mountain would go down for a Disneyland style refurb in a year.....that was almost 2 years ago so yea don't believe evert thing cast members say.

EpcotServo

It's BS, just because you might miss it?

I love how people seem to have this idea that disney plans refurbishments around *their* trip plans. You and literally millions of other people are going to miss Space Mountain on the trips once this rehab starts. So what? It's for the greater good.
THE GREATER GOOD.

:lol:

Sorry, I'm a Hot Fuzz fan.

jt04

Seems to me they decided to make sure that HM, PotC, Splash, RnRC, SE and EE are all available before they take SM down, The only question is if JC will get worked on before, during or after SM. They definitely have been trying to get these rehabs done as fast as possible with the least impact to the guests. SO BE GRATEFUL!!!! THEY ARE DOING A GOOD JOB!!!!! :)

PeoplemoverTTA

I for one thinks the Disneyland version of Space Mountain pales in comparison to its WDW counterpart. The Disneyland SM is one of the few coasters on earth without a single vertical drop! Its all turns and very repetive.

At least in WDW you get some good airtime on multiple drops. It is always a must-ride for me when I'm at the world. Disneyland SM, I can do without. I'm happy that the WDW version is getting a refurb that won't turn it into a dropless coaster. What a waste that would be!

Nick

I agree with you wholeheartedly! While I enjoyed the smooth new track and soundtrack at DL, I was sorely disappointed there was not a single drop! That is my favorite part of coasters...honestly, while I would call the new DL SM "nice," I couldn't fathom waiting in a 180 minute queue for it, which was how long it was when I visited Dec./Jan 2006.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom