Space Mountain Rehab confirmed!

JWG

A short mention of WDW's Space Mountain was in the Al Lutz update on Miceage this morning. Not much, but after a few paragraphs of talking about what Tony Baxter has planned for Disneyland's Tomorrowland, this comment was made....

"Florida's Tomorrowland is not on anyone's radar, as the only real plans there are for a more modest version of Disneyland's recent Space Mountain refurbishment."

Also some mentions of the WDW Haunted Mansion effects coming to Disneyland, and upgrades coming to Disneyland's Pirates, Indy, and the battalion of seven dark rides at Disneyland. Maybe some of those upgrades will filter out to WDW eventually too? There are only three dark rides in WDW's Magic Kingdom, instead of Disneyland's seven dark rides, but the Florida version of Peter Pan needs help desperately. http://www.miceage.com

Yea, all this coming from the guy who let us know the Year of a Million Dreams had been canceled immediately :rolleyes:

Though, I think that's a fairly safe "assessment" to make. Stitch is new (in the attraction life cycle), they just finished Laugh Floor, Buzz is popular, the Autos (as bad as they don't theme to Tomorrowland) are popular... what would they do in Tomorrowland besides SM?

He's right by default.

Space Mountain

Really?

I ride Space like 5 times a day and see the building every morning that I walk the TTA track, and as far as I know, Earth is a projection... so I don't know how it could be chipping.

There's actually only one major reason that they're doing this rehab, but it's not really one that I can talk about... lol.

But luckily, they're taking the opportunity to do a lot while it's down... but it'll be down for awhile.

Buzz Complex is better than Space :p

tirian

Is this stuff pretty much set in stone or is it just blue sky wishful thinking? and will that e-ticket get announced this decade or in like 2025?

The HM refurb is happening now, the Space is on its way, everything else will be refurbished, and an E-ticket is planned, but nothing is specifically greenlit.

The focus is on refurbing current attractions first, and adding later.

Enigma

Account Suspended
The HM refurb is happening now, the Space is on its way, everything else will be refurbished, and an E-ticket is planned, but nothing is specifically greenlit.

The focus is on refurbing current attractions first, and adding later.

So will fantasyland's dark rides get refurbed like they already have been in Disneyland are going to get upgrades again soon thanks to Tony Baxter?

tirian

That's highly likely, but none of the dark rides are being seriously considered yet. The existing E-tickets have top priority.

Enigma

Account Suspended
That's highly likely, but none of the dark rides are being seriously considered yet. The existing E-tickets have top priority.

MK doesn't really have that many e-tickets...Haunted (already done), Pirates (done..i guess), and then theres just Splash, Space, Jungle Cruise, and big thunder. The rumor is Space and Jungle Cruise will supposedly get facelifts but nto sure about splash and big thunder.

DisneyNeighbor

I wonder if the room that they have if they replace all the track will they go with side by side seating like DL. That would be great for capacity and be nice to ride with your family.

captainkidd

I'll actually be a bit disappointed in a Space Mountain rehab. Always been one of my favorite rides. I can understand why many people would want a Disneyland version of it, but being less of a thrill junkie myself, it has always packed just enough punch for me.

Animaniac93-98

MK doesn't really have that many e-tickets...Haunted (already done), Pirates (done..i guess), and then theres just Splash, Space, Jungle Cruise, and big thunder. The rumor is Space and Jungle Cruise will supposedly get facelifts but nto sure about splash and big thunder.

Big Thunder is about to get a refurb with new, quieter chainlifts installed. Other than that, what else could be done? Splash just needs to get it's special effects working more often.

ToTBellHop

I'll actually be a bit disappointed in a Space Mountain rehab. Always been one of my favorite rides. I can understand why many people would want a Disneyland version of it, but being less of a thrill junkie myself, it has always packed just enough punch for me.
DL's Space Mountain, if anything, packs less punch than Florida's--their track layout seems much less intense to me (there are no real drops), especially now that it's smooth as ice. The difference lies not in the thrill factor, but rather in the fact that DL's is actually themed.

tirian

DL's Space Mountain, if anything, packs less punch than Florida's--their track layout seems much less intense to me (there are no real drops), especially now that it's smooth as ice. The difference lies not in the thrill factor, but rather in the fact that DL's is actually themed.

Yes, the track and queue in WDW's Space Mt. are MUCH better better that DL's! We just need a DL-style refurb: rebuild the tracks and fix the light leaks.

Frankly, I don't like the onboard audio for Space Mt. The silence is much scarier.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Big Thunder is about to get a refurb with new, quieter chainlifts installed. Other than that, what else could be done?
make the last lift hill one that doesnt just takes you back to the station past the bone yard (basically). kidding, i know that you cant do anything about it... but another 10 second double helix and bump hill would be killer.

hey, you asked. :lol:

Slowjack

make the last lift hill one that doesnt just takes you back to the station past the bone yard (basically). kidding, i know that you cant do anything about it... but another 10 second double helix and bump hill would be killer.

hey, you asked. :lol:
Yeah, no matter how many times I ride BTMR (and it's one of my wife's favorites, so that's a lot), I'm still disappointed by that. It's such an anti-climax.

flynnibus

Premium Member
anyone who says SM just needs to be darker and 'better tracks' obviously has not riden the DL version. Its nothing like the MK version... the starfield effect feels totally immersive as if on all sides.. you feel like you are flying.. you NEVER see the track (and its not because of total darkness).. and barely seems like the MK ride at all.

Rough vs smooth is not the way to compare them.. only if you've only ever heard what other people say

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom