Space Mountain refurbishment begins April 19 2009

WDW1974

Yes, and next month I will visit TDR, probably fall in love with the place and never leave.

Great! I am sure you'll have an amazing time. I'm doing my first TDR trip later this year.

Did HKDL last summer when I was in China for the Olympics and it really suprised me how much I loved the place. Small, but beautiful and kept pristine by great CMs, with excellent entertainment (which makes up a bit for the lack of attractions) ... also great fireworks (not sure if they have them when you'll be going.

And HK is just an amazing city. Great place to go. If you have any questions, drop me a PM.

Also, it's great you're doing HKDL before TDR. Doing it the other way would likely be akin to staying for a week at the WL or Poly and then moving to POP ... sure it's nice, but ... and they'll be celebrating Chinese New Year so they'll have special entertainment, food and merchandise

Also, about the on-ride audio, I was really surprised that Tokyo has not added audio during their refurb of SM, seems like it would be logical, but they never did.

I was told by a WDI friend that it was strictly an OLC decision. Disney tried to sell them on it and they didn't want it. Have no clue why.

MousDad

That's true enough. I think Lutz has done great work in keeping Disney honest in Anaheim. Or maybe holding their toes to the fire might be a better way to put it.

But he just loves taking shots at WDW and, like a lot of people here, sees Disney through a narrow prism. I'm not sure he'd care if WDW closed tomorrow if it meant five new E-Tix in DL and a third gate like Westcot or Port Disney on the left coast. It's all about Anaheim and that's all he seems to care about. He doesn't realize that it's just a cog (albeit a very important one) in an 11-park, five-resort world-wide empire.

I realize his WDW posts are slanted, but is the info good? You've said in the past that his info is good. Do you mean DL info only, or WDW also? Whether it's slanted or not, phrases like "everything put on hold" and "drastically scaled down refurb" seem pretty cut and dry, whether you have a slant or not. Unless he's making up his WDW info.

Brian Noble

Based only on track record---accuracy of past information---my sense is that he seems to "know people" in (or near) TDA, but not so much in Florida.

Lee

Adventurer
I am reading this entire thread in one sitting so I don't know if you or anyone else with a clue has heard more since you posted this, Lee.

But I still don't have a clue whether they're actually going to do sound ... and to me, that's the VERY minimum ...

NOTHING I have heard would indicate that the Mountain would reopen in '09. My statement about an early opening was just speculation based on...umm....recent instances of rides being pulled out of refurb early.

Sound....flip a coin. Either way you would likely be right, depending on the day of the week. Still waiting on more info....

Enigma

Account Suspended
Alot of people don't realize that Disneyland's isnt really that great but it is certainly better than floridas Space mountain!

When Disneyland's Space Mountain reopened it suffered from cost cuts and a rush to be open by July 2005. There are some effects sitting inside the building that were never activated and never will be activated (like a close encounter with an asteroid) that are just sitting in the dark! They also promised alot more initially concerning special effects and a "brand new queue". What we ended up with was a queue where they redid some of the hallways with this claustrophobic metal walkway that looks like they used pieces left over from when they built Mission:Space's queue and created a new sterile preflight video. Then in the main queue area they added this plasma flatscreen at the end that shows space footage and I guess the idea was that your in a space station looking out a window but they did a EXTREMLY poor job with it. They also promised a cool tunnel effect at the end which in reality amounted to some psychedelic lights in a tunnel right after they take your picture.

It did have alot of positives though:

-Completly new track making for a smoother, 21st century coaster.
-Sealed up the light leaks making for an incredible experince where you cant see the track
-Music
-Some nice new effects in the lift tunnel'

The thing is though that Florida's Space Mountain is an entirely different beast from californias. For starters Florida's mountain is huge, even with the two tracks theres a ton of empty space in that building to create a brand new track layout or make 1 big track. Also you have the TTA going through it which could use some upgrades, and you have a nice postshow after you leave the ride that should be updated as well (and it better not be replace the scenes with video projections or get rid of it entirely. Thats lazyness!) The queue also could use some tweaking and cover it up from where the actual attraction is so theres no light leak (Please keep that 70s star tunnel music its iconic!). Florida also needs a totally new track replacement but there gonna go the cheap route and probably end up paying for it 5-10 years down the road :( .

And before people roll eyes at me or call me a pessimist go do some research and watch footage of the rides/themeing/quality of the tokyo disney resort OR watch Martin's tribute videos of WDW from the 70s/80s/early 90s to see how Disney is SUPPOSED to be!

Enigma

Account Suspended
NOTHING I have heard would indicate that the Mountain would reopen in '09. My statement about an early opening was just speculation based on...umm....recent instances of rides being pulled out of refurb early.

Sound....flip a coin. Either way you would likely be right, depending on the day of the week. Still waiting on more info....

Off topic Lee, do you think Star Tours and Imagination will close in 2009 for their much anticipated refurbs as well?

Lee

Adventurer
Off topic Lee, do you think Star Tours and Imagination will close in 2009 for their much anticipated refurbs as well?

Ummmm...maybe.
Star Tours will happen before Imagination, but if 2009 is the year is still a good question. Hope so.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Ummmm...maybe.
Star Tours will happen before Imagination, but if 2009 is the year is still a good question. Hope so.
Star Tours still targeted for a simulator type attraction. I havent paid close attention to DHS rumors.

Also Imagination, gut job? Like i said, it has been a long sabbatical. :D

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Yeah.

Gut...kinda. What I hear would require....umm....quite a bit of work.:lookaroun
ST... pod racing. Such a disappointment coming from Lucas. Although, I understand that there are many exterior factors that prohibit creative solutions refurbs. I know that they are kind of "stuck" within the building walls (no room for expantion)

Yes, the many explanations from martin about the old queue and the new queue seems to be quite problematic to do anything without a total gut job.

tirian

Gut...kinda. What I hear would require....umm....quite a bit of work.:lookaroun

May I throw away my 3-D glasses?

So...

A few nights ago, I dreamed that the upstairs half of the pavilion was nothing but a big kitchen. All the appliances were from the late 70s/early 80s. :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
May I throw away my 3-D glasses?

So...

A few nights ago, I dreamed that the upstairs half of the pavilion was nothing but a big kitchen. All the appliances were from the late 70s/early 80s. :lol:
I think that they have medication for that now.:lookaroun

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom