Space Mountain refurbishment begins April 19 2009

hokielutz

Relevant quote from Al Lut'z 1/6 update:

With the few refurbishment projects slated for Walt Disney World repeatedly slashed, yet continuing to gain approval by the skin of their teeth, the executive planners in Orlando have to now be content with a drastically scaled down rehab to Space Mountain and some more DVC units as their main recession-era offerings for the next few years.[end quote]

Its this kind of stuff that really makes me dislike having my real name so closely tied to his.....

hokielutz

The less Phil has to do with the Space Mountain Refurb the better I will feel about its outcome. I can easily see his spinless, bottom line, lack of show quality, and not to mention pompous a*# bend at the first sign of guest complaints.

Expect a slew of complaints to roll through their call centers soon...

How dare you ruin our Summer vacation!! :mad:
What are we supposed to ride in Month?
My Celebration year is destroyed. :cry:
What would Walt say?? :veryconfu
I will never, ever, ever, ever visit your park ever, ever, ever, ever again
I've looked forward to riding SM in 2008 for X years.... :shrug:
You can't change it, it is a classic that was the last thing Walt himself designed. :brick: (for informed fans, of course not true)
If you change it, I won't be able to sue Disney later this year after I plan to stand up in the car and get hit by a low beam (guest affected by the economic downturn looking for easy money)

So what will it take to cause Mgmt to hit the panic/cancel button?

EpcotServo

September '09?
Not a chance. Not even a little one. Sorry.:shrug:

You know...why do I feel that Day One of this rehab for the Imagineers will feel a lot like that scene from "Office Space"?

OfficeSpace.JPG

:lol: :D

meganw1985

All I have to say is that I was THRILLED when I saw yesterday it was closing on the 19th...becuase I will be there the 4-11!!! This was my son's FAVORITE ride when we went in May. He jumped and yelled after we got off and wanted to get RIGHT back on! So we did...like 4 more times (he's 6). He was crushed when I told him it would be closed. So that made his day. I have to say this is shaping up to be the best Disney trip I think. I was able to get all of the ADR's I wanted, I found out that our resort (CS) still has their own resort themed mugs, and SM will be open while we're there! :sohappy:

HMF

All I have to say is that I was THRILLED when I saw yesterday it was closing on the 19th...becuase I will be there the 4-11!!! This was my son's FAVORITE ride when we went in May. He jumped and yelled after we got off and wanted to get RIGHT back on! So we did...like 4 more times (he's 6). He was crushed when I told him it would be closed. So that made his day. I have to say this is shaping up to be the best Disney trip I think. I was able to get all of the ADR's I wanted, I found out that our resort (CS) still has their own resort themed mugs, and SM will be open while we're there! :sohappy:
And Space Mountain will be better than ever. (hopefully)

djkidkaz

I have an assignment for anyone who thinks that WDW's Space Mountain does not need a long refurb. Book a flight to Southern California' Go to Disneyland' Ride Space Mountain' then come back and then decide whether we need a refurb or not.

I asked earlier and noone responded. What makes DL's Space Mountain that much better? I watched a youtube video of it and it seems like all thats been added to the ride itself is onboard audio. :shrug: The whole ride is in the dark, so are you guys just talking about the queue and post show of DL's Space Mountain? What makes the actual RIDE of SM at DL so much better?

TarzanRocked99-

What makes DL's better, well...
It's smoother
It's faster
It's got an amazing soundtrack that syncs perfectly to the track
It's got amazing special effects especially on the lifts and the re-entry
It's darker which makes the track dissapear
The load area is much better
And finally you have that huge big as your face Disney grin when you get off the thing

WDW has the better que and unload areas

And Hong Kong is my personal favorite because it's so similar to DL's with little to no lines

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It's smoother
It's faster
And finally you have that huge big as your face Disney grin when you get off the thing

And Hong Kong is my personal favorite because it's so similar to DL's with little to no lines

Exactly. I haven't been to Hong Kong's yet, but will in 2 Weeks!! :sohappy:

Rob562

It's smoother
It's faster

I have yet to ride Disneyland's Space Mountain (my first visit I was 6 and Mom wouldn't let me even though I was tall enough :cry:, and it was closed for its re-build on my only other visit).
But one thing that I've heard people mention/complain about is that Disneyland's Space Mountain is all swooping curves with very few drops. And that most of those curves all turn in the same direction, so it's like a NASCAR coaster...

-Rob

TP2000

I asked earlier and noone responded. What makes DL's Space Mountain that much better? I watched a youtube video of it and it seems like all thats been added to the ride itself is onboard audio. :shrug: The whole ride is in the dark, so are you guys just talking about the queue and post show of DL's Space Mountain? What makes the actual RIDE of SM at DL so much better?

I've never seen a YouTube video of Disneyland's Space Mountain that could even begin to capture the special effects and show scenes experienced from the time you leave the loading area til the time you get back. No tourist with a 300 dollar video camera they got at Best Buy is ever going to capture the experience of a dimly lit coaster. Ever.

It would be best to just go to Disneyland and experience it yourself. You'll never get the real thing via Youtube for any attraction, but certainly not for a dimly lit roller coaster.

Life is not meant to be experienced via YouTube. Especially when it's a part of life that is in the dark. :D

And the onboard audio was first added to Disneyland's Space Mountain from a big rehab in 1996. The 2005 rehab installed a new speaker system in the newly built cars, and used a new soundtrack than the '96 one composed by ________ Dale.

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousDad
So does everyone else in this thread. The announcement says Apr 09 - Late 09: 8 months.

Late '09 is the very earliest...if everything goes extremely well.

I'm still betting on first quarter 2010.
Unless someone in power is dead set on getting it open for Christmas...which...you know....happens....:lookaroun

I actually heard that it's just as likely to be down for close to a year (11 months I was told in order to make sure it's up for Spring Break 2010) as it is of only being eight months.

I am reading this entire thread in one sitting so I don't know if you or anyone else with a clue has heard more since you posted this, Lee.

But I still don't have a clue whether they're actually going to do sound ... and to me, that's the VERY minimum ... such a shame that this thing could have been so much more. But why make 2.0 a true great signature Disney thrill ride for the 21st century when you can get by with some new paint, new effects, gates and some general cleaning and track work?

Oh yeah, because that's what used to seperate Disney from the competition.

WDW1974

Al plays to his audience of Southern Californians, and I don't think he really cares about WDW too much. I don't even remember him talking about anything related to WDW, except in passing sentences that help make his point about DCA or DL. If you read the entire section of multiple paragraphs that one WDW half-sentence was pulled from today, you can understand the point he is making about Anaheim. WDW is only mentioned in brief passing about every other update by Al, and only to make a point about Disneyland.

He plays to his audience that doesn't really think much about WDW or anything east of Las Vegas.

That's true enough. I think Lutz has done great work in keeping Disney honest in Anaheim. Or maybe holding their toes to the fire might be a better way to put it.

But he just loves taking shots at WDW and, like a lot of people here, sees Disney through a narrow prism. I'm not sure he'd care if WDW closed tomorrow if it meant five new E-Tix in DL and a third gate like Westcot or Port Disney on the left coast. It's all about Anaheim and that's all he seems to care about. He doesn't realize that it's just a cog (albeit a very important one) in an 11-park, five-resort world-wide empire.

Still, it was great news for Disneyland fans. And it is a little odd that in a massive, sprawling property with four parks, the only confirmed thing regarding new rides for 2009-10 is a scaled down rehab to Space Mountain. Yeah, there's new DVC towers being built, and the typical Celebrate campaign stuff going up in all the global parks.

I don't know if there was any great news in his update. They are undergoing entertainment cuts (no daily parade for a while, fireworks limited etc ...) and they still can't come up with a plan for demolishing the old DLH towers and building a real Disney resort.

But yeah, there's not much happening here in 2009. ALthough you did forget (as did Al) the two biggees ... American Idol at TPFKaTD-MGMS and the all-new HoP at MK, as well as whatever that Stitch show in T-Land is going to be. So, to be fair, there are some things ... just not a whole lot and not the stuff that gets my toes tingling with anticipation.

But where are the RIDES? :confused: Is a long overdue Space Mountain rehab really it for '09? No bulldozers moving in to Animal Kingdom or DHS? Where's all the action?!

At Sea World and Universal Studios, respectively.

WDW1974

Exactly. I haven't been to Hong Kong's yet, but will in 2 Weeks!! :sohappy:

Congrats!

It's like DL's, only better. More effects mostly. And usually not the most popular ride in the park surprisingly.

Is this your first trip to HK and HKDL?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Congrats!

It's like DL's, only better. More effects mostly. And usually not the most popular ride in the park surprisingly.

Is this your first trip to HK and HKDL?

Yes, and next month I will visit TDR, probably fall in love with the place and never leave.

Also, about the on-ride audio, I was really surprised that Tokyo has not added audio during their refurb of SM, seems like it would be logical, but they never did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom