Space Mountain Refurb. Jan. 2008

mickeysgal

I'm probably the minority here...but I like SM, now. Sure it could use a new decor (and probably a smoother lift), but I like the ride itself. I think the best part about the ride is that although it's dark you can still see the track above and you feel as though you're going to hit you head. I think that makes it very thrilling to me. Besides, a standard coaster is all I can do now a days. My equilibrium disorder is getting worse every year, and I just can't do those flipping, dropping, spinning, extreme coasters anymore. I would be very sad to see them turn SM into one of those, because I'd never get to ride it again.

Epcot82Guy

Just so you all know the original plan for retooling Space Mountain included gutting out the entire building and building a brand new twin track layout. One track would be similar to the old one and more family friendly while the other track would be a bit more adult possibly including an inversion or two (there is enough space inside...the mountain is HUGE) There would also be next generation special effects and onboard audio similar to Disneylands and even a new post show.

Now this would have been a great way to do this IMHO. I really like the idea of having both. It also preserves what it was and adds a new attraction at the same time. Sad to see this stall.

Brian Noble

sounds like your taking that comment personal
Not at all. I have absolutely nada to do with the Powers That Be. But, so far, the general public still flocks to MK, and it is still the number one theme park in the entire world as measured by annual attendance---not to mention the fact that attendance grew by 3% in 2006.

Apparently, they *can* let it rot without suffering at the gate, because apparently, most people just don't care. If you measure success by attendance, then MK is wildly successful.

I'm not arguing that this is the right way to do things, by any stretch. But, The argument "fix it or no one will come!" doesn't seem to be supported by the facts.

met19

Um...you are complaining about an idea to have two rides in one building? Just goes to show that people will complain about anything...never mind the fact that Mission: SPACE has two versions, the ToT has about four, and there are rides at other parks with multiple, different versions (Matterhorn has long been regarded as having a tamer and a more intense version). You could vote for the cheap Primeval Whirl method, instead? Space Mountain in Paris and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster do just fine with their inversions.

What would u do if a family wanted to go on the different rides (e.g. mom/dad vs kid)? And secondly having two versions could slow up one of the lines. When the entire coaster is duplicated, you can choose either and have the same experience. Haven't you ever noticed that orange @ MS has a much longer line than green?

And secondly who said anything about Primeval Whirl????Disney attractions use all your senses! Sight, sound, feeling, auditory, etc. Most attractions do that and even their "thrill" rides do, with the exception of Rock and Roller coater where the point is the ride. SM has sound, feeling, sight, etc. I suggest you read the unofficial guide which states the same thing. And I believe them on it. Not every coaster in WDW needs inversions. If you feel every coaster needs inversions, check out universal.

I have nothing against a smoother ride, new track, new cars etc. But SM still is a great attraction. Why ruin something great. Its not like its a stale one like (tiki birds)- though their refurb comepletely ruined that one!

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
I told you some time ago that the SM refurb has an E-Ticket size budget. I really don't know how that size budget could simply disappear. My guess right now is that Screamscape has only gotten part of the information from their "source."

After the work that has went into planning for January, there would be many an imagineer royally ticked off if a basic refurb was decided upon.

I'll let you know if anything changes, but as of right now, I wouldn't worry.

TP2000

and thats true about back pain... i went on Disneyland's Sunday night then went on Matterhorn... its night and day over there.. smoother no pain just thrill. same with Matterhorn too. not bumpy like WDW's space is feeling like most of the time.

And yet so many Californians complain about Matterhorn Bobsleds being bumpy, especially the Submarine Lagoon side, only because all they have to compare it to is Disneyland's Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, and California Screamin'. Matterhorn isn't nearly as smooth as Disneyland's new Space Mountain, but when I remember being jostled and rattled around in WDW's Space Mountain the Matterhorn does feel smoother.

And the Matterhorn opened in 1959. WDW's Space Mountain opened in 1975.

TP2000

Just a reminder for folks who are wanting a Disneyland version of Space Mountain.... Disneyland's Space Mountain was closed for just over two years. And that timetable was accelerated by six months per Matt Ouimet when he showed up after Cynthia Harriss was fired (AKA she resigned very suddenly and immediately to "spend more time with my family").

Disneyland's Space Mountain closed April 10th, 2003. It formally reopened on July 15th, 2005. It was originally scheduled to reopen in November, 2005.

So if you really want a Disneyland style remake of Space Mountain with new track, new onboard audio, new storyline, new effects, new loading area, new queue, and even new uniforms for the CM's, then be prepared for a 2+ year long closure.

And for a park that doesn't have as many rides as Disneyland does, particularly big E Tickets, that might be rather painful to get through. Be careful what you wish for.

Hummer1676

Original Poster
I told you some time ago that the SM refurb has an E-Ticket size budget. I really don't know how that size budget could simply disappear. My guess right now is that Screamscape has only gotten part of the information from their "source."

After the work that has went into planning for January, there would be many an imagineer royally ticked off if a basic refurb was decided upon.

I'll let you know if anything changes, but as of right now, I wouldn't worry.

ReDisney E-Dew, thanks for the comment. I really want it to be on par with Disneyland, as it should be. Like I have stated before, i am just trying to get more nuggets of information about what is going to happen.

Hummer1676

Original Poster
Just a reminder for folks who are wanting a Disneyland version of Space Mountain.... Disneyland's Space Mountain was closed for just over two years. And that timetable was accelerated by six months per Matt Ouimet when he showed up after Cynthia Harriss was fired (AKA she resigned very suddenly and immediately to "spend more time with my family").

Disneyland's Space Mountain closed April 10th, 2003. It formally reopened on July 15th, 2005. It was originally scheduled to reopen in November, 2005.

So if you really want a Disneyland style remake of Space Mountain with new track, new onboard audio, new storyline, new effects, new loading area, new queue, and even new uniforms for the CM's, then be prepared for a 2+ year long closure.

And for a park that doesn't have as many rides as Disneyland does, particularly big E Tickets, that might be rather painful to get through. Be careful what you wish for.

As someone so elequintly said "so let it be written, so let it be done".

Lee

Adventurer

Not a problem. 2 years is nothing if the result is anywhere as satisfying as what happened at DL.
True MK hasn't got as many e-tickets to pick up the slack...but there are 3 more parks handy.

As I said before, I would be very surprised if this rumor of a slashed budget is accurate. Lots of time, effort and money has gone into concepts for Space Mountain. Too much to just shove aside...unless they were just doing a small refurb just to get by temporarily before going all out. Timing of refurbs is constantly in some flux. Perhaps they want to just hit Space lightly, jump over to Jungle, then hit Space with the full refurb. I don't know, or even really suspect that. I'm just trying to figure out where this rumor came from. My sources are quiet, so far.

bigorangeandy

I would welcome a refurb, I don't seem to have any memory of pain in my back, but I'm on the tall side so maybe thats the difference. Of course I could be having so much fun I don't notice the pain!

Slowjack

New theming outside

Really what I would hope for, even more than the inside (which I confess still works for me) would be a new theme outside...it's just odd how they rethemed everything in Tomorrowland to that metal and rivets look but left SM "1970s white." If they could color it bronze and add some hunks of metal to make it match the surroundings, that would look great!

nelsonj3

I have to agree with everyone who has sung the praises of DL's Space Mountain so far!! I had the pleasure of riding it last summer during a rare, cross-country trek to DLR. My wife doesn't ride coasters, but she was laughing at the stupid grin that I couldn't wipe off of my face after riding DL's Space Mountain. The music, the smooth track, the new effects... everything about the new DL Space Mountain is INCREDIBLE!!! I rode it three times, and I still didn't get enough of it. We ran out of time, or I would have ridden it several more times! :D

I really hope WDW'S Space Mountain gets the same treatment as DL's (or better!)

I think WDW has suffered from a lack of TLC for WAY too long. It appears that Disney is finally stepping up and shelling out some money to start making some good things happen at WDW.

Those stupid bean counters (accountants) better not get in the way of all of the great rehabs and improvements that have been rumored lately!

tirian

As I said before, I would be very surprised if this rumor of a slashed budget is accurate. Lots of time, effort and money has gone into concepts for Space Mountain. Too much to just shove aside...unless they were just doing a small refurb just to get by temporarily before going all out. Timing of refurbs is constantly in some flux. Perhaps they want to just hit Space lightly, jump over to Jungle, then hit Space with the full refurb. I don't know, or even really suspect that. I'm just trying to figure out where this rumor came from. My sources are quiet, so far.

You're absolutely right. I refuse to believe that Phil is foolish enough not to fully refurb Space Mountain, especially now that the executive management in Burbank is critically studying every mistake that park managers are making.

tirian

I have to agree with everyone who has sung the praises of DL's Space Mountain so far!! I had the pleasure of riding it last summer during a rare, cross-country trek to DLR. My wife doesn't ride coasters, but she was laughing at the stupid grin that I couldn't wipe off of my face after riding DL's Space Mountain. The music, the smooth track, the new effects... everything about the new DL Space Mountain is INCREDIBLE!!! I rode it three times, and I still didn't get enough of it. We ran out of time, or I would have ridden it several more times! :D

IMO, Florida's version still has a superior track layout.

But that's it. :lol:

Hummer1676

Original Poster
Not a problem. 2 years is nothing if the result is anywhere as satisfying as what happened at DL.
True MK hasn't got as many e-tickets to pick up the slack...but there are 3 more parks handy.

I hope you'll let us know as soon as you hear something. We are all waiting to hear the details. This refurb marks a turning point for the park and should be highly anticipated. Now that HM is under its refurb and then SM along with JC right after. Now they just need to clean up the park. New paint, new lights, new restaurant in Adventureland, fix up autotopia, and bring in some new parades like TDR and we will be all setup.

Hummer1676

Original Poster
^ and don`t forget maintain the enhancements too.

Marni, as always, your are correct.

I also most say that DL Splash is uncomparable to WDW. I know its been talked about before but i feel it needs to be mentioned. Their AA's and overall upkeep is mind blowing compared to MK. Absolutly astonishing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom