Space Mountain Refurb. Jan. 2008

TP2000

I also most say that DL Splash is uncomparable to WDW. I know its been talked about before but i feel it needs to be mentioned. Their AA's and overall upkeep is mind blowing compared to MK. Absolutly astonishing.

And yet, the MK's Splash Mountain has much better design and art direction. As a Californian, I never knew Splash Mountain had a plotline until I rode the WDW version! :sohappy:

I'm not kidding.

Disneyland's Splash from a riders perspective is rushed and frantic and doesn't make much sense from a storyline viewpoint. WDW's Splash, on the other hand, explains the plot and storyline much better with better pacing and overall art direction.

Sadly, the WDW version of Splash Mountain wastes its superior art direction and design on shoddy maintenance and basic upkeep. It made me sad to see the sorry state most attractions were in on my last few WDW visits. When it comes to overall upkeep and maintenance on the rides, I rate Tokyo Disneyland a 10, Disneyland USA an 8, and WDW's Magic Kingdom about a 5. A few of the older WDW rides like Pirates and Mansion and Peter Pan and Jungle Cruise I would have to rate a 4. :eek: I've never been to Disneyland Paris, so I have to leave that one out.

fyn

Disneyland's Splash from a riders perspective is rushed and frantic and doesn't make much sense from a storyline viewpoint. WDW's Splash, on the other hand, explains the plot and storyline much better with better pacing and overall art direction.

I got back from WDW a few weeks ago, and although it'd been my first trip in 3 years, I've been on Splash Mountain hundreds of times. This time, however, some things weren't quite the same. Mainly, the speed of the current was easily 10-30% faster, which made our boat have to wait a few seconds for every drop, and you couldn't follow the dialog (If it was even working).:(

The other odd thing was that it seems like they added some extra water cannons at the bottom of the main drop, all pointed directly at people's heads. I've never gotten close to being that wet on Splash Mountain. I'm not complaining (well, not about the water), but I thought it was an interesting change.

Edit: The speed of the current also caused a 6-9 boat backup going into the loading area. Whatever genius made this change didn't realize that the loading queue bottleneck doesn't go faster when you speed up the water.

Hummer1676

Original Poster
And yet, the MK's Splash Mountain has much better design and art direction. As a Californian, I never knew Splash Mountain had a plotline until I rode the WDW version! :sohappy:

I'm not kidding.

Sadly, the WDW version of Splash Mountain wastes its superior art direction and design on shoddy maintenance and basic upkeep. It made me sad to see the sorry state most attractions were in on my last few WDW visits. When it comes to overall upkeep and maintenance on the rides, I rate Tokyo Disneyland a 10, Disneyland USA an 8, and WDW's Magic Kingdom about a 5. A few of the older WDW rides like Pirates and Mansion and Peter Pan and Jungle Cruise I would have to rate a 4. :eek: I've never been to Disneyland Paris, so I have to leave that one out.

I have been to the Paris park and found it to be a 10 compared to the 5 at WDW. Yet it doesn't have a Splash Mountain, its other rides like Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Phantom Manor, Pirates, and thier own Indy ride were far better maintained and themed then any at MK. Its sorry to think that the two parks that started it all aren't up to par with the ones oversees.

darthjohnny

Screamscape has reported that more of its sources are reporting that the Space Mountain Rehab will most likely focus on the loading station.

However, there are rumors of a new audio system.

One "Wild Rumor" they report is that there will be new trains that can seat 2 across. I think that won't happen due to the gauge of the track.

New audio and effects are still being talked about as well.

RiversideBunny

A five pound turkey will never weigh more than six pounds but the wet duck will always fly at night in a somewhat hyperbolic trajectory.

Disney knows this and has provided extraneous alternatives for those who need viable options.

Tks.
:) :)

MuRkErY

I hope they do this right and do a great refurb along the line of DL's if not even better.

Space Mountain deserves to be a great E-Ticket once again.

Lee

Adventurer
One "Wild Rumor" they report is that there will be new trains that can seat 2 across. I think that won't happen due to the gague of the track.

Don't think that's possible....:shrug:
At least not without some major reworking of the structure.

Buried20KLeague

Lee, any word on if the potential refurb would bring us a new post-show?

And along that same line... Any word on if they will keep the tunnel portion of the que with the starfield windows, etc? We hit SM out in Disneyland last week, and as great as that version is, I found myself really missing the WDW entry tunnel que setup.

Lee

Adventurer
Lee, any word on if the potential refurb would bring us a new post-show?
Yep.

And along that same line... Any word on if they will keep the tunnel portion of the que with the starfield windows, etc? We hit SM out in Disneyland last week, and as great as that version is, I found myself really missing the WDW entry tunnel que setup.
Probably.
Unless they go for a total reconfiguration of the queue, most of what is there will remain.

KevinPage

Unlike our own Mr. Firefly, um, I , mean LEE, I love the current Space Mountain. That's not to say I don't want some changes/enhancements. Lighting, music, queue decorating and refurb of the track (but keep the layout).

Being somewhat of a coaster aficionado of over 170+ different coasters around the country, the LAST THING I want on Space Mountain is LOOPS and a launch.

Granted I'm not your average target audience, but I've been on sooo many coasters with launchs and while FUN - it's a gimmick and still doesn't eclipse the old school chain lift. Loops are an easy cop out to try and add thrills, when the real thrills of a roller coaster come from pacing & change of elements. I've ridden countless 100 foot WOODEN coasters that are more powerful, exciting and/or intense than 250-300ft steel coasters that go much faster than their wooden counterparts. It's all about the design and layout of the track. Not to mention once you put loops in a ride you are decreasing your ridership and reliance on OTSR (horsecollars) which are terribly uncomfortable. And generally speaking LOOPING coasters don't age well and are not as "repeat friendly" with most people.

I also don't want anything like the ORIGINAL DL layout. Granted it was a pretty intense ride, albeit terribly boring. Just constant sharp turns in one direction, over and over and over. Our current version is just plain fun. It's not the biggest, fastest or most intense ride around, but it's one of the FUNNEST coasters I've been on to this day.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a NEW Space Mountain. I'm one of those weirdos that enjoys the old but won't necessarily lament it's loss when something new replaces it (assuming it's of good quality).

KevinPage

^^not all OTS restraints are uncomfortable. B&M has very comfortable train designs.

I'll agree with you on B&M, they are the best at what they do re: OTSR. But for me, OTSR are by their very nature - uncomfortable. Not to mention their restrictions on body movement, which negates my ability to "feel" the ride.

Pete C

There is no way they are going to put loops on WDW Space Mountain. I wouldn't even entertain that idea as a possibility.

AndyP

This really is a great time for WDW. I'm really excited about this refurb of Space Mountain, it's always a ride I've enjoyed even though it isn't so intense compared to modern coasters but I have thought it needs updating. I can't wait to see it finished. What is great to see is all these updates of existing attractions as well as the addition of new attractions :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom