Space Mountain Refurb. Jan. 2008

Space Mountain

There was a small month long rehab back in 1999 when I was down on vacation, I don't know about this time but the TTA was open then and it was really cool because you could see all the work being done because the house lights were all on.

Don't expect to see anything during the next rehab. Also, TTA will be down for a while as well.

Hummer1676

Original Poster
WAY TO GO LEE!

Gut it and give us the new version like Disneyland, but make it longer since there is more room in WDW's building.

I'm torn between a 2 track racer and a really long one track ride which fills the building. Perhaps it could be the longest length/duration indoor coaster ever. Perhaps bust outside and back in ala time-racers.

I'd be open to a floorless coaster with a spacewalking concept theme.

Any good coaster will be a relief to the jerky back pain ride we have now, I can't ride it anymore it is soooooo bad.

What an awesome concept!!!!!

To have an indoor floorless coaster is a great idea. It bet it would feel like your in a space suit traveling through space. I think you really hit something there.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Personally, I would hope for a smoother ride and better seats (my shoes always get stuck in the cars). I have not been able to ride it for the last year because of the aches it's given me from riding.

My big question is: what happens to T T A during a refurb.? Since T T A actually goes through the ride (SM lifthill) and around the queue will it be closing too? Or will there be Refurb. Walls going up inside SM for T T A?
probably just board up the path into a tunnel... and change the seil to silence or something like, "now entering space mountain. we are finally gutting this old attraction and bringing it into the 21 century. on your next visit, no need to bring the back pain pills"

ToTBellHop

a floorless coaster would certainly be cool, but it wouldn't happen because only B&M makes floorless designs at this point, and Disney does not work with B&M. Plus, it'd be very hard to theme a floorless train to look like anything space travel-worthy.

joel_maxwell

a floorless coaster would certainly be cool, but it wouldn't happen because only B&M makes floorless designs at this point, and Disney does not work with B&M. Plus, it'd be very hard to theme a floorless train to look like anything space travel-worthy.
this is true... i think the florrless can stay at universal and sf, or wait until Beastly Kingdom is built. :p

Vernonpush

this is true... i think the florrless can stay at universal and sf, or wait until Beastly Kingdom is built. :p
I'm NOT holding my breath for that!:lol:

PS. Joel, I'm not holding my breath for rain either! Looks like we will BOTH have to do our "backyard naked rain dance" at the same time, if we want any relief from the drought:lol:.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What it really needs is the starfield effects like DL has. You can BARELY seem the track in DL.. and the moving starfield makes it feel like you really are just flying through space.

WDW's feels like an old boardwalk rollercoaster compared to DLs. But DL's does lack the static displays on the ride like WDW has.

PhilharMagician

Minimum?
New track a la Disneyland. (Even with the same layout...I could live with that.)
New trains with audio.
Better effects in the mountain.
"New Tomorrowland" themeing.

Lee,
Would there be enough room in WDW's SM building for 2 DL track layouts?

The only other thing I would add to your list would be the lift hill. The lift hill need to be quiet and much faster. EE lift system would work well, but a LIM would also be nice.

Lee

Adventurer
Lee,
Would there be enough room in WDW's SM building for 2 DL track layouts?
The only other thing I would add to your list would be the lift hill. The lift hill need to be quiet and much faster. EE lift system would work well, but a LIM would also be nice.

Nope. Building's big, but not that big. The two existing layouts could be expanded...or, ideally, exchanged for one bigger and longer one.

New lift would be nice. They're easy enough to make silent, like EE, even without LIMs. LIMs are just something else to go wrong.

joel_maxwell

I'm NOT holding my breath for that!:lol:

PS. Joel, I'm not holding my breath for rain either! Looks like we will BOTH have to do our "backyard naked rain dance" at the same time, if we want any relief from the drought:lol:.
oh dont worry, govna' reily has declared the next week prayer week for rain. :rolleyes: now how stereotypical is that of alabama and the bible belt. jezzzz

Minimum?
New track a la Disneyland. (Even with the same layout...I could live with that.)
New trains with audio.
i like all said, but dont you want to keep these effects, i mean come on, in a few years they will be consider "retro" or "classic" and they will be instyle again. :p

Nope. Building's big, but not that big. The two existing layouts could be expanded...or, ideally, exchanged for one bigger and longer one.

New lift would be nice. They're easy enough to make silent, like EE, even without LIMs. LIMs are just something else to go wrong.
i was always a advocate for keeping the tracks the same (layout), but after sept 2006, im a supporter of anything new, even if that means the DL treatment and a single track 2 people per row (even though i still struggle with this since i really do love the single file seating)

Hummer1676

Original Poster

Is it at all possible to cover the que area inside the mountain. It seems like such a waste of space. I know the intent was to have TTA look inside but they could frame it in and extend the ride out over the que area and frame up the que. It seems like it would add a bunch of space for more ride.

joel_maxwell

Is it at all possible to cover the que area inside the mountain. It seems like such a waste of space. I know the intent was to have TTA look inside but they could frame it in and extend the ride out over the que area and frame up the que. It seems like it would add a bunch of space for more ride.
well, you could hide the queue and still utilize the space above it while infact keeping the TTA view. i think the TTA view would be a lot better if the structure can over it and you rode through all the metal supports looking up at trains wizzing over head.

Vernonpush

That's a great idea! They hardly ever use all of the space inside for the queue ( I think that they would rather "stack" the queue outside than in). That would also give a better "view" for the TTA (besides queues that are rarely used).

PhilharMagician

Closing in the queue would reduce the light leakage into the ride area and also hide SM from the TTA when the service lights are on.

Now isn't the TTA service bay is located in the BLDG?

Does the current SM track use the space above the service bay?

darthjohnny

Minimum?
New trains with audio.

Minimum? That's a big minimum. :lol: It's basically ripping everything out and starting from scatch. :lol:

Epcot82Guy

I still enjoy the layout and basic bones. But, I definitely think enclosing the queue is a necessary step for the darkening.

One caveat to all of you pushing for DLP or another major coaster. Remember the modern trend for MK. That would be a very adult ride, and it would have a pretty high height requirement. And, let's not forget the fate of the last adult-oriented MK attraction... Do we really want Stitch's Great Space FLight?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom