Space Mountain Refurb. Jan. 2008

Hummer1676

Original Poster
Does anyone here have the Blueprints for SM? Marni, Lee, Corrus, Space Mountain, anyone? It would be interesting to see how the two coasters are laid out. I 'm really interested in the que area and how much space above it could be utilized.

lilclerk

I gotta pipe up and agree with everyone who says give us something on the same scale as Disneyland! Space Mountain in DL was completely worth my 4-day trip across the country. The only thing I didn't like was that the trains are two seats in a row. I love the single-rider seats in WDW.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Does anyone here have the Blueprints for SM? Marni, Lee, Corrus, Space Mountain, anyone? It would be interesting to see how the two coasters are laid out. I 'm really interested in the que area and how much space above it could be utilized.
almost the same amount of space. maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the space if memory serves of what i have seen. correct me if im wrong, but i know there is a lot of it out there.

CrashNet

Minimum?
New track a la Disneyland. (Even with the same layout...I could live with that.)
New trains with audio.
Better effects in the mountain.
"New Tomorrowland" themeing.
Lee, is a new track layout actually possible with the approved budget? With all the talk of an extended rehab, new track is essentially a new ride. I'm not complaining in the least...new track or expansion of the old one would be fantastic. But if I might inquire, think you could convince them to keep the single seat per row style of vehicles?

Enigma

Account Suspended
Just so you all know the original plan for retooling Space Mountain included gutting out the entire building and building a brand new twin track layout. One track would be similar to the old one and more family friendly while the other track would be a bit more adult possibly including an inversion or two (there is enough space inside...the mountain is HUGE) There would also be next generation special effects and onboard audio similar to Disneylands and even a new post show.

But thanks to Phil Holmes and the management of WDW we are not getting this radically revamped Space Mountain because the idiots in charge think people are going to keep coming to the magic kingdom anyway no matter in what poor condition the parks are in.

Now we as a fan community can't really do much but you all should at least voice your disappointment about Phil Holmes management style to Disney.

met19

Just so you all know the original plan for retooling Space Mountain included gutting out the entire building and building a brand new twin track layout. One track would be similar to the old one and more family friendly while the other track would be a bit more adult possibly including an inversion or two (there is enough space inside...the mountain is HUGE) There would also be next generation special effects and onboard audio similar to Disneylands and even a new post show.

But thanks to Phil Holmes and the management of WDW we are not getting this radically revamped Space Mountain because the idiots in charge think people are going to keep coming to the magic kingdom anyway no matter in what poor condition the parks are in.

Now we as a fan community can't really do much but you all should at least voice your disappointment about Phil Holmes management style to Disney.

I don't agree with this. If someone wants inversions, WDW is not the place to go. Thats means people would have to line up twice to ride to the two different rides. Right now the only difference is 10 ft when alpha passes over omega (or the other way around). I could agree with a longer coaster and more capacity. But no inversions- the idea was the sights, sounds, feelings. where as inversions make the ride more important that the rest. I also dont agree with the New tommorowland themeing. Right now SM is soooo known to be in a white concrete bldg with giant ribs. Very iconic! However, Phil Holmes needs a good pie in the face to make sure we get $$$$ for a good rehab.

ToTBellHop

Lee, is a new track layout actually possible with the approved budget? With all the talk of an extended rehab, new track is essentially a new ride. I'm not complaining in the least...new track or expansion of the old one would be fantastic. But if I might inquire, think you could convince them to keep the single seat per row style of vehicles?
I don't think that'd work--you'd get your choice of cutting the hourly capacity in half or having ridiculously long 12 seat trains (the length of a RnRC train), which would look goofy, I think. Personally, I'd rather have trains like they have in Paris. The hourly capacity would shoot up if they did that.
I don't agree with this. If someone wants inversions, WDW is not the place to go. Thats means people would have to line up twice to ride to the two different rides. Right now the only difference is 10 ft when alpha passes over omega (or the other way around). I could agree with a longer coaster and more capacity. But no inversions- the idea was the sights, sounds, feelings. where as inversions make the ride more important that the rest. I also dont agree with the New tommorowland themeing. Right now SM is soooo known to be in a white concrete bldg with giant ribs. Very iconic! However, Phil Holmes needs a good pie in the face to make sure we get $$$$ for a good rehab.
Um...you are complaining about an idea to have two rides in one building? Just goes to show that people will complain about anything...never mind the fact that Mission: SPACE has two versions, the ToT has about four, and there are rides at other parks with multiple, different versions (Matterhorn has long been regarded as having a tamer and a more intense version). You would vote for the cheap Primeval Whirl method, instead? Space Mountain in Paris and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster do just fine with their inversions.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As Lee said, if a fairly major rehab of all aspects of SM dosn`t happen, something is very wrong in the World. WDI have been on this for nearly 3 years now - longer taking into account the cross R&D with DLC and HK - which in itself was taken from DLPs M2 - so it`s fair to say 5 years.

As Enigma said, management are getting in the way of making the MK, and the other parks, better - not helping them. God knows we recall the Pressler/Harris regieme. Lets not repeat it.

Hummer - there is a lot of space that could in theory be used above the queue area, though probably out of the scope of a mere rehab. The queue tunnels themselves (particularly the exit ramp) are more boxed in and above grade, and so interwieved with the coaster structure and TTA it`d be a mammoth job to change the layout. Since the building was built before the coaster was installed, and is structurally separate from it it is physically possibly, but cost prohibitive. Even for me. Also, don`t forget the load and unload / maintainence areas are combined, one above the other - in effect a two story building within the base of the mountain. It still is a feat of engineering on a par with SSE (thanks, George!)

And yes, the TTA sevice area is in the north side of the building.

WDWFigment

I don't think that'd work--you'd get your choice of cutting the hourly capacity in half or having ridiculously long 12 seat trains (the length of a RnRC train), which would look goofy, I think. Personally, I'd rather have trains like they have in Paris. The hourly capacity would shoot up if they did that.

I never had considered the hourly capacity increase for this refurb (I'm sure it's been discussed, but I've missed it each time). I would think increasing the capacity is imperative. Space Mountain typically has the longest lines in the MK, and I don't think that's because the queue is air conditioned (maybe a small part of the reason).

Does anyone know the hourly capacity on Space Mountain versus RnRC and BTMRR? I'm just curious and I can't find it elsewhere.

Hummer1676

Original Poster
As Lee said, if a fairly major rehab of all aspects of SM dosn`t happen, something is very wrong in the World. WDI have been on this for nearly 3 years now - longer taking into account the cross R&D with DLC and HK - which in itself was taken from DLPs M2 - so it`s fair to say 5 years.

As Enigma said, management are getting in the way of making the MK, and the other parks, better - not helping them. God knows we recall the Pressler/Harris regieme. Lets not repeat it.

Hummer - there is a lot of space that could in theory be used above the queue area, though probably out of the scope of a mere rehab. The queue tunnels themselves (particularly the exit ramp) are more boxed in and above grade, and so interwieved with the coaster structure and TTA it`d be a mammoth job to change the layout. Since the building was built before the coaster was installed, and is structurally separate from it it is physically possibly, but cost prohibitive. Even for me. Also, don`t forget the load and unload / maintainence areas are combined, one above the other - in effect a two story building within the base of the mountain. It still is a feat of engineering on a par with SSE (thanks, George!)

Thanks Marni. I am not that knowledgable about it so I thought to ask. It would be cool to see them use the space, as it is sitting there unused. I agree that it is an amazing piece of construction.

Hopefully management isn't that intrenched with budgets and see's some benefit in upgrades.

ToTBellHop

I never had considered the hourly capacity increase for this refurb (I'm sure it's been discussed, but I've missed it each time). I would think increasing the capacity is imperative. Space Mountain typically has the longest lines in the MK, and I don't think that's because the queue is air conditioned (maybe a small part of the reason).

Does anyone know the hourly capacity on Space Mountain versus RnRC and BTMRR? I'm just curious and I can't find it elsewhere.
The hourly capacity on Space isn't horrible, but it could certainly be increased if they had a ride system like all of the big coasters, especially if they could somehow create a station with dual loading, but it doesn't sound like they do with the rumors of having the wheelchair transfer track. Still, a ride system like they have at DL would increase the hourly capacity over what we have, since it allows you to load two trains at once, if you want--pretty much the same as loading one RnRC at a time (the only variable is dispatch interval).

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

i was just about to say that if you didnt plug that... i would have been dissapointed.

:lol:

BwanaBob

Knowing of the fantastic refurb concepts that have been developed for Space Mountain...if (a big "if" at this point) they do a minor "freshen" of the sort Screamscape mentioned...I will personally purchase a pie, walk up to Phil Holmes, and plant it right in his kisser. Only a bunch of spineless, cheap, unimaginative cowards would go that route.

1106.gif

I have spoken. End of vent.

So let it be written!.... So let it be done!

Yul_Brynner.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom