Space Mountain Refurb. Jan. 2008

MSTCrow

Hummer, I'm with you in that I just rode Disneyland's version a couple weeks ago for the first time. You should have seen the on-ride photo. It looked like a human version of this

:eek:

I was in awe. I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face for an hour. While I really enjoy "our" version of Space Mountain, it simply pales in comparison to the point where there really is no comparison. Of all the "declining by degrees" bashing that goes on, I could actually agree with the point about Disney World's Space Mountain no longer being up to snuff with what's possible when Disney puts some TLC and some $ into its flagship ride.

It's time for a long and painful refurb. Let the "THEY BETTER NOT CLOSE IT WHEN I'M THERE" complaints begin. In Space Mountain's case, the more complaints like these, the better. I have a feeling I won't be let down.

basas

I will personally purchase a pie, walk up to Phil Holmes, and plant it right in his kisser. Only a bunch of spineless, cheap, unimaginative cowards would go that route.

1106.gif

I have spoken. End of vent.

Maybe that can be MK's new e-ticket! They'd definitely need to put Fastpass on that one- the standby wait would make Disneyland Nemo subs lines look like a walk on!

Dizknee_Phreek

Maybe that can be MK's new e-ticket! They'd definitely need to put Fastpass on that one- the standby wait would make Disneyland Nemo subs lines look like a walk on!

And it MIGHT even be more popular than The Ladder attraction!

You know, I used to be 100% against changing anything about SM. And I know I would miss it in its current form (even the jerkiness of it), but I know it desperately needs some TLC. It's Tomorrowland's main attraction, and I don't think it's gotten any kind of updating since at least New Tomorrowland opened over a decade ago.
It could definitely use some new effects/technology. Some cool new effects in the tunnels. Maybe some new cars (although they HAVE to either light up (how cool would it be to have some fiberoptics or leds on those suckers??) or glow in the dark....cause that's just cool!). And I would love to see the tvs return with a new video....those always kept me entertained during those horribly slow lines. And they for sure need to update the end of the exit...those bluescreen tv things hardly work anymore. But I would HATE if they change the music at the beginning of the queue and in the exit...I LOVE that music!
btw, anyone have any video of the SM at DLC?

JWG

Knowing of the fantastic refurb concepts that have been developed for Space Mountain...if (a big "if" at this point) they do a minor "freshen" of the sort Screamscape mentioned...I will personally purchase a pie, walk up to Phil Holmes, and plant it right in his kisser. Only a bunch of spineless, cheap, unimaginative cowards would go that route.

1106.gif

I'd chip $10 in for bail money to see this happen...

CarlHS

WAY TO GO LEE!

Gut it and give us the new version like Disneyland, but make it longer since there is more room in WDW's building.

I'm torn between a 2 track racer and a really long one track ride which fills the building. Perhaps it could be the longest length/duration indoor coaster ever. Perhaps bust outside and back in ala time-racers.

I'd be open to a floorless coaster with a spacewalking concept theme.

Any good coaster will be a relief to the jerky back pain ride we have now, I can't ride it anymore it is soooooo bad.

Figment1986

I'm torn between a 2 track racer and a really long one track ride which fills the building. Perhaps it could be the longest length/duration indoor coaster ever. Perhaps bust outside and back in ala time-racers.

I'd be open to a floorless coaster with a spacewalking concept theme.

Any good coaster will be a relief to the jerky back pain ride we have now, I can't ride it anymore it is soooooo bad.

2 tracks makes it feel like Matterhorn indoors... but im not sure we need 2 tracks anymore. if they make it longer and one track they can hold maybe as many trains with double seating in a row increasing capacity...

and thats true about back pain... i went on Disneyland's Sunday night then went on Matterhorn... its night and day over there.. smoother no pain just thrill. same with Matterhorn too. not bumpy like WDW's space is feeling like most of the time.

AEfx

Knowing of the fantastic refurb concepts that have been developed for Space Mountain...if (a big "if" at this point) they do a minor "freshen" of the sort Screamscape mentioned...I will personally purchase a pie, walk up to Phil Holmes, and plant it right in his kisser. Only a bunch of spineless, cheap, unimaginative cowards would go that route.

1106.gif

As I've said for years, from your mouth to the Mouse's ears...nothing would please me more than a total gut of that building. :)

AEfx

tirian

I don't know whether or not Screamscape is correct, but I do want to point out the following:

1) The HM had a mini refurb about two years ago, and now it's finally getting an overhaul.

2) RNRC has mini refurbs frequently, and another one is coming up.

3) The only guaranteed "E"-ticket-level attractions at the MK for the next 1-2 years are refurbs of its existing attractions.

Even if Space Mt. does go down for a small refurb in January, there is no reason to accuse Disney of not giving it a proper overhaul. Like the HM, we may get a few small fixes now and the significant changes later.

DisneyWales

Space Mountain Mission 2

I love Space Mountain Florida, however it's for the same reason i loves El Rio De Tiempo, its old and corny, and somewhat funny.

So yes it makes a fun ride, and we do it everytime we go, but it not one of those fabled e-tickets anymore.

I Honestly deep down would love to see them do a space mountain like the one in Paris, you may call it RnR version 2, but believe me when i say DLRP's Space Mountain is one of the best roller coasters i have ever been on.

The soundtrack is awesome, the effects are awesome, and the rollercoaster is awesome.

If they wanted to kinda tame it down a little and make it more somewhere between Disneylands and the Disneyland Paris version thats fine by me.

Florida's Space Mountain is great fun, however its only when you ride it next to its Sisters from the other resorts that you get a feeling that Florida is missing something......

ToTBellHop

I don't know whether or not Screamscape is correct, but I do want to point out the following:

1) The HM had a mini refurb about two years ago, and now it's finally getting an overhaul.

2) RNRC has mini refurbs frequently, and another one is coming up.

3) The only guaranteed "E"-ticket-level attractions at the MK for the next 1-2 years are refurbs of its existing attractions.

Even if Space Mt. does go down for a small refurb in January, there is no reason to accuse Disney of not giving it a proper overhaul. Like the HM, we may get a few small fixes now and the significant changes later.
perhaps I'm a fool, but I would imagine it costs much more money for Disney to take these baby steps toward a whole product (both in guest satisfaction--HM still was in a very poor shape until it closed this month--and in the fact that they draw out the refurbishments). Do it all at once, spend less money, and make the guests happier, faster. We need some execs with balls.

PhilharMagician

1106.gif

I have to say thanks Lee. I just spit my coffee all over the keyboard as I was reading your post. I have never heard you be outspoken, not saying that I don't completely agree with your comments.

Hummer, I'm with you in that I just rode Disneyland's version a couple weeks ago for the first time. You should have seen the on-ride photo. It looked like a human version of this

:eek:

I was in awe. I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face for an hour. While I really enjoy "our" version of Space Mountain, it simply pales in comparison to the point where there really is no comparison. Of all the "declining by degrees" bashing that goes on, I could actually agree with the point about Disney World's Space Mountain no longer being up to snuff with what's possible when Disney puts some TLC and some $ into its flagship ride.

It's time for a long and painful refurb. Let the "THEY BETTER NOT CLOSE IT WHEN I'M THERE" complaints begin. In Space Mountain's case, the more complaints like these, the better. I have a feeling I won't be let down.

For a ride that has not really had any new technology added for 30 years I would say that WDW Space Mountain has done very well even though it is now 2007. It however is now long overdue for a complete rehab at this point.

What ever happens in the end with the rehab I hope the ride vehicles remain single rider wide.

CrashNet

1106.gif

:lol: Awesome! Stand up for those great concepts Lee! :D

A complete gut doesn't seem logical, as that's basically a new ride, not a refurb. I imagine they are building and updating the sets and props to coincide with today and the future. I'm thinking new sound system, new lighting and effects, refurbished SINGLE SEAT PER ROW vehicles, new surprises, maybe built in music into the vehicles...stuff like that. With careful planning, they could even make it so your eyes don't have time to adjust to see the track. That would be pretty sweet. :D

TarzanRocked99-

I would be on board with keeping the existing track if ...... I had not been out to California and seen what can be done. Our Space Mountain Blows... Its Old, creeky, shaky, too bright, so dated, and probably not in the best condition safety wise. The newer version out in California was the best thing I did during my visit and I rode it many times, it is so smooth and the effects are great. I smile just remembering it, I get off our version now and am A. glad to be safely at the exit and B. dissapointed since I have now seen what can be done.

I had the highest of hopes for this upcoming rehab and now I am just bitterly dissapointed. Can someone please show Phil the door, he can go spend more time at his horse farm in Ocala if you ask me.

Vernonpush

Personally, I would hope for a smoother ride and better seats (my shoes always get stuck in the cars). I have not been able to ride it for the last year because of the aches it's given me from riding.

My big question is: what happens to T T A during a refurb.? Since T T A actually goes through the ride (SM lifthill) and around the queue will it be closing too? Or will there be Refurb. Walls going up inside SM for T T A?

TarzanRocked99-

There was a small month long rehab back in 1999 when I was down on vacation, I don't know about this time but the TTA was open then and it was really cool because you could see all the work being done because the house lights were all on.

scholarinexile

Oh, gods...now I'm in a quandary. I hope they make a decision very soon, so I can plan accordingly...June of 2008 is in planning stages of a massive family trip, which will be my wife's family's first visit since 1997, and my family's first visit ever, and I really don't want them to have to miss SM on their first trip. It's one of my favorites and it dearly needs the refurb....but with Pirates out during my honeymoon last summer, and HM this summer, SM next summer would mean one of my three favorites gone three years in a row, and that's a lot to bear. I just hope that if they do begin a refurb in January it's done for June...

Space Mountain

and thats true about back pain... i went on Disneyland's Sunday night then went on Matterhorn... its night and day over there.. smoother no pain just thrill. same with Matterhorn too. not bumpy like WDW's space is feeling like most of the time.

I always now go on the left side of SM. To me it is a lot smoother and I have recently had wonderful rides with no roughness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom