Space Mountain Mission 2.0

fyn

New projections for the dome. Possible new effects surrounding the track. My guess for an example (I have been shared some ideas, but not too many) is a run in with an asteroid (which is lit up with fibre-optics). There is plenty of room for tweaking the existing attractions, but this refurbishment is not in any way an overhaul of the ride itself.

That's kinda what I was hoping for. The track layout is fine IMO, they just need to make the ride smooth, and then add state of the art effects, and no more asteroids that look like chocolate chip cookies. ;)

jt04

That's kinda what I was hoping for. The track layout is fine IMO, they just need to make the ride smooth, and then add state of the art effects, and no more asteroids that look like chocolate chip cookies. ;)

Didn't they try to "smooth out" the track before. I believe it has been there for over 32 years. :snore: It is inevitable it will be changed, seems it would be cheaper in the long run to go ahead and update the signature "Tomorrowland" attraction to actually contain this centuries track technology. That is unless they are copying DLP and going for that retro "last century" technology motif. "SM2:Stuck in the 70's". "A Blast Off Into the Past". They could even add a disco sound track to go with the disco ball star field :eek: Who knows? :veryconfu End Of Rant

Slowjack

Thanks for the great information WDWGuide. IMHO you will someday see some great state of the art coasters added like mamba. The one thing WDW lacks is a great suspended coaster. My hope is the Studios will get their fair share of the coasters. That is the park that can most be upgraded to a "Thrill Park" and maintain it's theme and idenity. :D
I think most high-thrill coasters are difficult to theme in a Disney way. Black Mamba, to me, is not a themed ride--it's an unthemed coaster running through a highly themed environment, if you see what I mean. As opposed to, say, Big Thunder, which maintains the conceit that you are on a train. Disney avoided the issue with Space Mountain and RnRC by placing them inside, and with California Screamin' by dropping all pretense of theming.

Epcot82Guy

I agree, and it also brings forth a different response. Disney has always been to me the exercise of imagination. You keep that on every attraction. Big coasters just don't ever get that treatment.

I agree with Black Mamba. And I think DD is the best example (I know some love it, but it was a HUGE letdown to me). You have a phenomenal queue, but out of the station, you could be at any amusement park around the world. And, anyone from the midwest or California may realize that "large" coasters don't really exist in Orlando.

Anyway, beyond the rant, I think the biggest thing is that the Disney coasters are fun. There is no real pretense of major thrill (except EE perhaps), so I don't go in expecting a thrill. It's an entire ride of laughing and smiling like a 5 year old. That's what Disney has always done well, and I hope SM maintains that character with any renovation.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I think most high-thrill coasters are difficult to theme in a Disney way. Black Mamba, to me, is not a themed ride--it's an unthemed coaster running through a highly themed environment, if you see what I mean. As opposed to, say, Big Thunder, which maintains the conceit that you are on a train. Disney avoided the issue with Space Mountain and RnRC by placing them inside, and with California Screamin' by dropping all pretense of theming.
Highly thrilling coasters are DIFFICULT to theme, but not altogether impossible. Disney would just have to be creative...I'm sure someone at WDI already has ideas on how to do it. I could see a floorless coaster with the seats themed like director's seats for MGM...if Disney were to ever work with Bolliger & Mabillard, though I'm not holding my breath on THAT one. It would also wash Sea World out to sea, since it would surely be better than Kraken (a great coaster, IMO).

Lee

Adventurer
Black Mamba, to me, is not a themed ride--it's an unthemed coaster running through a highly themed environment, if you see what I mean.

Mmmmm....Black Mamba!
fing34.gif

I kinda disagree, though. Mamba is very close to being Disney quality theming. The only thing they could do would be to make the trains look like snakes....but that would likely look dumb.

Me....I'd love a Mamba clone in Harambe. :D

movieride

I haven't met someone that has honestly said that the layout used for our version is the worst of them all. In fact, I haven't met a person that has done any other Space Mountains after doing ours that came off saying that ours wasn't better. We have more drops (that are bigger) and we have two tracks. Ours is unique and original. Why would we lose that just to get a new layout. I would give up getting in-ride audio and a new layout for a smoothed out ride utilizing our existing layout with some new trains.

I agree as well. I'd love to keep the track and instead remaster the effects and look of the ride while keeping the essence of Space Mountain. This ride has always been a bit mysterious and otherworldly.
I sat here and imagined myself on this ride as is. What makes it special? Certainly nostalgia and it's legendary status- I rode this in the 80's as a little kid. It was feared! Why?.. with a top speed of 28mph and no loops? I believe it was and remains magical because of track (sharp turns and drops) the darkness and that slight scarieness from realising that it is a little rickety. Duck - the low beam is coming!
Sitting in the front,..by yourself...coming over that first hill. It's still so totally cool!
Long live the track! ...and the weird space music from the queue.

WDWGuide

One thing to remember is that Black Mamba was built by a small, regional amusement park in Germany, who had a budget for about $30 million for the entire project, including the track and theming. Still, its one example that clearly shows that theming in a modern coaster can go beyond "Paint it green, call it Hulk", even with limited financial resources. A similar Disney coaster would probably have close to twice Mamba's budget (or more), plus some of the best designers in the world working on it. That combination just makes me salivate. Sadly, I don't seriously believe that anything like this will happen within the next five years or so.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
for anyone who doesn't know what Black Mamba is: http://youtube.com/watch?v=O_StR0ApVh8&mode=related&search=

Imagine that, but with Disney adding better themed trains, maybe some animatronics, and on-ride audio. It's already very close to Disney quality without those additions. Add those and you have an E-ticket. And if Disney were ever going to build one of these more "hard-core" coaster types, Bolliger and Mabillard would be the company to go with, since you won't find a more family-friendly inverted coaster. I don't know why Vekoma's inverted coasters are so much more painful...

DisneyDellsDude

I'd love to have a coaster that had some show scenes along with the thrill. It would be neat if you slowed down once and a while for a scene or two. E:E kind of does that, but Rock 'n' Roller Coaster doesn't.

CarlHS

[I vote to gut it. The current track is horrible. They have replaced DL and Paris, and those were origionally build after WDW. I can't believe they would waste money on extending it's life a few more years. The time has come to replace.

The only real question now is dueling tracks vs. a single longer track. I vote for single and much longer - even take it outside for a bit.

1. This isn't Busch Gardens... This is the Magic Kingdom. Gimmicks like that don't matter (and Gwazi is a perfect example of why you don't build dueling coasters when you don't intend for them to duel at all times).
2. Why would you spend money on a dueling coaster in the dark?
3. I haven't met someone that has honestly said that the layout used for our version is the worst of them all. In fact, I haven't met a person that has done any other Space Mountains after doing ours that came off saying that ours wasn't better. We have more drops (that are bigger) and we have two tracks. Ours is unique and original. Why would we lose that just to get a new layout. I would give up getting in-ride audio and a new layout for a smoothed out ride utilizing our existing layout with some new trains.

Anyways, we aren't having our version gutted. Yes, the project will be big budget, but as always, it will be more cosmetic based rather than physical. New effects, new theming (during the ride and in the entry/exit queues) and work on new trains.]

1- I don't want a dueling coaster (two tracks that intermingle and in theory have cars which race along side each other)! That's what we allegedly have now. I want a single longer track.
2- That's what we have now and are about to spend money on.
3- DL's blows away FL's break-yer-back mountain and it's in a smaller building. Our's should be an all new coaster.

CarlHS

[I haven't met someone that has honestly said that the layout used for our version is the worst of them all. In fact, I haven't met a person that has done any other Space Mountains after doing ours that came off saying that ours wasn't better. We have more drops (that are bigger) and we have two tracks. Ours is unique and original. Why would we lose that just to get a new layout. I would give up getting in-ride audio and a new layout for a smoothed out ride utilizing our existing layout with some new trains.]

I just spent a week at DL and spoke with 100s of people. The ones who had done both loved DL's by far. If this was some other park with a 30+ year old death trap you'd be slammin' them for not removing the thing. SM needs a new track and trains etc. Keep the same layout if you want, but you can't salvage this track with new trains and an audio system.

Epcot82Guy

I agree with the retracking; I just would hate to lose the layout generally. I think the tunnel effects, loading station, exit, and internal effects could be upgraded significantly. I mostly would like to see it darkened. I really think so many other attractions need some $$ before SM gets completely gutted and transformed into something bigger.

KingStefan

I've never ridden RRC, so I can't comment on that coaster specifically, but in general, I'm not fond of looping coasters. At least from my point of view, the way to keep the ride classic and very accessible (as it was intended) would be to keep it inversion free. By replacing this version with an inverting coaster, you might place the ride out of reach for some people who had ridden and enjoyed it previously. In other words, try your best to disappoint as few people as possible. If it doesn't get any inversions after refurb, you'll be disappoinbted, but you'll still ride it. If it does get loops, some people will be dissapointed and unable to ride.

Just my two cents. :)

The trick is, I think, to have corkscrews, not loops. At RRC, the feeling is so mild that some of the younger riders might not even know they've been inverted. There's no significant change in g force - it's smooth all the way through. Plus, since it's dark, there's no outside frame of reference. It's just way cool. No compression followed by <1 like there is in most loops (although modern ones are less so).

WDWGuide

I wouldn`t call the initial half loop after the launch mild :hurl: :lol:

That's because you are being pushed into your seat with almost 5 g's as you enter the roll-over ;)
It's interesting that when, back in the dark ages, I was doing research in the parks, many of the people I talked to had no idea how many inversions they just went through after getting off the RnRC. Most, by far, said two - the launch into the roll-over is so disorienting that many people simply don't realize the element consists of two distinct inversions.

KingStefan

That's because you are being pushed into your seat with almost 5 g's as you enter the roll-over ;)
It's interesting that when, back in the dark ages, I was doing research in the parks, many of the people I talked to had no idea how many inversions they just went through after getting off the RnRC. Most, by far, said two - the launch into the roll-over is so disorienting that many people simply don't realize the element consists of two distinct inversions.

My point exactly. The launch is wild. The rollover is no big IMO. Just look at my avatar, which is BEFORE the rollover if you don't believe me!

[Sorry, changed my avatar - used to be me and the family getting launched on RnRC!]

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I didn't know how many times I had gone upside down the first time I road. The cobra roll is definitely disorienting...though it is less smooth than it was back in the 90s. It was like butter back then...now I sense a hint of head-bangage. 8 smooth years may be a record for Vekoma, though.

jedimaster1227

1- I don't want a dueling coaster (two tracks that intermingle and in theory have cars which race along side each other)! That's what we allegedly have now. I want a single longer track.
2- That's what we have now and are about to spend money on.
3- DL's blows away FL's break-yer-back mountain and it's in a smaller building. Our's should be an all new coaster.

Please use the quote buttons from now on. Your posts are near impossible to read.

1. A coaster with two tracks that intermingle and race constitute a dueling coaster. Sorry.
2. We don't currently have a dueling coaster. There are no points in the ride where you look or feel like you are about to ram into the other car. The trains from Alpha and Gemini go up the lift hill at different times in their interval so that they aren't even remotely within 3 secs of reaching the top together. Even if they were to go up the lift at the same time, they wouldn't have any close enough encounters to say that you nearly hit another train. Space Mountain never has and never will be a dueling coaster. Again, sorry.
3. Personally, as a coaster fanatic, I love drops. Disneyland's version has mere dips in the track and many more helixes and sharp turns. If I want to spin around in the dark, I will ride Buzz Lightyear. Simple enough.

CarlHS

SM does have two tracks that intermingle, poorly, but they do. The parallel launch is in fact intermingling. On the rare occasion when they launch together, they have moments when they interact and can see each other. Again, they interact, just poorly... ...to each his own...

You can't no longer say it's unanimous in favor of FL as it stands now vs. DL's new smooth fun ride.

...but just think of the drops you could get if the delete the existing track and built a new one. The current track is not that great be today's standards.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom