Space Mountain Mission 2.0

Lee

Adventurer
I don't think its to the point where its unsafe...(Disney would not run an attraction hats unsafe) but it is in need of some TLC!

Weeeelllll.....don't be so sure. :lookaroun
They ran Space at DL when they knew the structure was failing. Sure, they didn't know it wasquite as bad as it was...but they knew there were some issues. That was the good old policy of "run to failure" rather than constant preventative upkeep and maintenance.

Yeah, but wasn't that pre Thunder Mountain Accident? I worked at DL re and Post thunder (Adventure land attractions and Thunder mountain) and Disney changed a lot of policies after that accident! It was almost like a whole new world after that accident!

I would hope Disney learned something!

Nicole220

Weeeelllll.....don't be so sure. :lookaroun
They ran Space at DL when they knew the structure was failing. Sure, they didn't know it wasquite as bad as it was...but they knew there were some issues. That was the good old policy of "run to failure" rather than constant preventative upkeep and maintenance.
:eek:

*rethinks going to DL* :lookaroun

That old policy of "fun to failure" has changed now, right?

As for MK's Space, a new track so it's not so Matterhorn-ish and better lighting (or maybe lack of) so you can't see the track.

StageFrenzy

How bout a vertical launch 70-90 degrees out of a red or blue tunnel then a brief breather up top (think top of SSE with cool spacey music) then some nice thrills on re-entry

Groovee

I hope they don't change Space Mountain in Florida to the Paris one. I couldn't walk after it. It was a god awfulexperience and a lot of kids would be stopped from going on it as the Paris one is a higher height restriction.

WDWGuide

By replacing this version with an inverting coaster, you might place the ride out of reach for some people who had ridden and enjoyed it previously.

There are inversions that don't inherently stress the body any more than non-inverted coasters like Everest do with their drops and helixes (sp?). Many inline twist-type inversions, for instance, are pretty mild. Unfortunately, some people just have an unfounded fear of inversions in general.

I agree that Space Mountain should probably stay a non-inverted coaster - it's too much of a Magic Kingdom staple to risk alienating people who simply don't like the concept of inversions, but I would love to see Disney do a good Wooden Coaster and maybe a good B&M inverted coaster some time in the future - they are tons of fun and can be very nicely themed (Black Mamba, for instance).

jt04

There are inversions that don't inherently stress the body any more than non-inverted coasters like Everest do with their drops and helixes (sp?). Many inline twist-type inversions, for instance, are pretty mild. Unfortunately, some people just have an unfounded fear of inversions in general.

I agree that Space Mountain should probably stay a non-inverted coaster - it's too much of a Magic Kingdom staple to risk alienating people who simply don't like the concept of inversions, but I would love to see Disney do a good Wooden Coaster and maybe a good B&M inverted coaster some time in the future - they are tons of fun and can be very nicely themed (Black Mamba, for instance).

Thanks for the great information WDWGuide. IMHO you will someday see some great state of the art coasters added like mamba. The one thing WDW lacks is a great suspended coaster. My hope is the Studios will get their fair share of the coasters. That is the park that can most be upgraded to a "Thrill Park" and maintain it's theme and idenity. :D

fyn

I hope the rehab makes it a more sensory based experience. Sound, lighting effects, and incorporating images from the Hubble Telescope, projected in some innovated WDI way, would be fantastic.

CarlHS

I vote to gut it. The current track is horrible. They have replaced DL and Paris, and those were origionally build after WDW. I can't believe they would waste money on extending it's life a few more years. The time has come to replace.

The only real question now is dueling tracks vs. a single longer track. I vote for single and much longer - even take it outside for a bit.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
They replaced DL's track. Paris just got a theming change.
and DL's was a special case. I hope they are taking the appropriate precautions if they intend to add on-ride audio in FL and keep the same track. That added weight needs to come out somewhere...new trains would be best.

Lee

Adventurer
and DL's was a special case.
VERY special.

I hope they are taking the appropriate precautions if they intend to add on-ride audio in FL and keep the same track. That added weight needs to come out somewhere...new trains would be best.
No way to add audio to the existing trains. The added weight would put HUGE stress on the wheel assembly. Probably seperate the wheels from the trains in a turn. No point in that. New trains are a no-brainer....I hope.

dxwwf3

New trains are a no-brainer....I hope.

And if so, maybe they'll do something they should have done at Disneyland: provide more leg room! As I've said before, I'm only about 6'3" and it was an extremely tight fit on the knees at DL. I can't believe they didn't change that during the long rehab. The MK version has never been the most spacious vehicle in the World, but it isn't worse than the other stateside SM.

jedimaster1227

I vote to gut it. The current track is horrible. They have replaced DL and Paris, and those were origionally build after WDW. I can't believe they would waste money on extending it's life a few more years. The time has come to replace.

The only real question now is dueling tracks vs. a single longer track. I vote for single and much longer - even take it outside for a bit.

1. This isn't Busch Gardens... This is the Magic Kingdom. Gimmicks like that don't matter (and Gwazi is a perfect example of why you don't build dueling coasters when you don't intend for them to duel at all times).
2. Why would you spend money on a dueling coaster in the dark?
3. I haven't met someone that has honestly said that the layout used for our version is the worst of them all. In fact, I haven't met a person that has done any other Space Mountains after doing ours that came off saying that ours wasn't better. We have more drops (that are bigger) and we have two tracks. Ours is unique and original. Why would we lose that just to get a new layout. I would give up getting in-ride audio and a new layout for a smoothed out ride utilizing our existing layout with some new trains.

Anyways, we aren't having our version gutted. Yes, the project will be big budget, but as always, it will be more cosmetic based rather than physical. New effects, new theming (during the ride and in the entry/exit queues) and work on new trains.

fyn

1. This isn't Busch Gardens... This is the Magic Kingdom. Gimmicks like that don't matter (and Gwazi is a perfect example of why you don't build dueling coasters when you don't intend for them to duel at all times).
2. Why would you spend money on a dueling coaster in the dark?
3. I haven't met someone that has honestly said that the layout used for our version is the worst of them all. In fact, I haven't met a person that has done any other Space Mountains after doing ours that came off saying that ours wasn't better. We have more drops (that are bigger) and we have two tracks. Ours is unique and original. Why would we lose that just to get a new layout. I would give up getting in-ride audio and a new layout for a smoothed out ride utilizing our existing layout with some new trains.

Anyways, we aren't having our version gutted. Yes, the project will be big budget, but as always, it will be more cosmetic based rather than physical. New effects, new theming (during the ride and in the entry/exit queues) and work on new trains.

Is anything known about the nature of the effects? Lighting, imagery, etc?

jedimaster1227

Is anything known about the nature of the effects? Lighting, imagery, etc?

New projections for the dome. Possible new effects surrounding the track. My guess for an example (I have been shared some ideas, but not too many) is a run in with an asteroid (which is lit up with fibre-optics). There is plenty of room for tweaking the existing attractions, but this refurbishment is not in any way an overhaul of the ride itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom