Space Mountain Mission 2.0

raven

There are no points in the ride where you look or feel like you are about to ram into the other car.

Well when we rode SM in May there was a certain point in the track that looked like another car was about to crash down on top of you! I never noticed it before of all the years going to WDW. But your car dipd right before it was to hit you. That scared the heck out of me! :eek:

As for Disneyland's version of Space Mountain, I liked the smooth track, the effects and the soundtrack. Other than that I thought the layout was a bit lame personally. The track has too many right turns and I felt myself grabbing my neck in pain by the end of the ride. I think WDW could impliment this technology without constant turns in the same direction. Plus since the building is larger I think they could easily put in more sugnificant dips and drops other than just the one "large" drop in the middle.

dxwwf3

As for Disneyland's version of Space Mountain, I liked the smooth track, the effects and the soundtrack. Other than that I thought the layout was a bit lame personally. The track has too many right turns and I felt myself grabbing my neck in pain by the end of the ride. I think WDW could impliment this technology without constant turns in the same direction. Plus since the building is larger I think they could easily put in more sugnificant dips and drops other than just the one "large" drop in the middle.

I really enjoyed the DL Space Mountain, but my brother hated it because of the track layout. I really didn't notice the constant right turns until I was looking for it, but still it didn't really bother me much. However, I do find it odd that this is how they designed the track to be. I can see not having many drops when you don't have a lot of room to work with, but a few more left turns wouldn't have hurt anyone.

The only thing I found painful about the attraction was the complete lack of leg room. Even worse than at the Magic Kingdom. But overall, I was amazed by the lift hills and the complete darkness of the DL version.

the-reason14

Hopefully WDI wont be stupid and change SM to a loud noised short piece of junk that they have in their studios park. Hopefully they'll realize that attendance at their SM is nowhere near suffereing and all that really needs to be done is cosmetic changes, a new post show and que, and a smoother track with newer effects. That is it if anything. If you want big thrills and faster more intense coasters then you are more likely at the wrong theme park. SM to me is coaster that the family can enjoy, although its not the biggest or best, but it is IMO the most fun.

EPCOT.nut

I am lucky to live within a 3 hour drive from WDW. I feel bad for folks reading these rumors that want to ride everthing another 100 times before a refurb.

I really love SM. I remember riding as a little kid and having to sit in a man's lap (ewwww - a friend's dad) and thinking that was plain gross. I am guessing that was either a terrible dream or the cars held 2 people sitting CLOSE TOGETHER. So if they did a refurb after that, well it was an awesome change. If it was a bad dream, YIKES, lol.

But I want to ride it 100 more times before they change it. No matter how great the change is, and no matter how much I will love the changes, I will still want to remember it how it is.

Nicole220

Are there plans for the cars being re-done? Not side by side like DL's, but something a bit more, enclosed mabe? I thought I was going to fall out when I was on the ride.

WDWGuide

SM to me is coaster that the family can enjoy, although its not the biggest or best, but it is IMO the most fun.

Incidentally, WDW's SM was the last WDW coaster (in fact, last ride with a height restriction) I allowed my daughter to go on, and I know a few other families in my daughter's class alone that have done the same thing because of the single file seating and roughness of the track. I consider it one of the most family unfriendly rides at WDW.

Gatorboy

First, I think the two track layout needs to remain....can you say capacity. Second, definately needs new themeing, I would like the effects of DL's version, although I to think it is way too tame, even for "family friendly folk" Our mountain seems to have the room for a modern, high capaciity, well themed replacement for the classic ride it is. A similar track layout of our present version with DL style cars and sound sytem, make it darker inside please. I rode this the first year it opened and thought it was the greatest! My 16 year old and I just rode it a couple of weeks ago and through the years, still gives you the thrill.

Lee

Adventurer
SM to me is coaster that the family can enjoy...

Well...it's a coaster that the family can ride. "Enjoy" is pretty subjective.

It's with rides like SM that I can really appreciate my blissful lack of offspring, 'cause I really don't give a Ratatouille’s behind about a ride being "family friendly." I really don't. To me it's all about the quality of the experience. I couldn't care less if it is an inconvenience to the stroller brigade that someone has to sit it out if it means that SM could once again be the pinnacle of coasters at WDW. :rolleyes:

Phonedave

It's with rides like SM that I can really appreciate my blissful lack of offspring, 'cause I really don't give a Ratatouille’s behind about a ride being "family friendly." I really don't. To me it's all about the quality of the experience. I couldn't care less if it is an inconvenience to the stroller brigade that someone has to sit it out if it means that SM could once again be the pinnacle of coasters at WDW. :rolleyes:

As someone who has two kids, I did not care either. At the time when my two girls were both too small to ride alone, you know what we did? We dealt with it an moved on. What a concept :D

Now that we are all big enough to ride it, thats what we do. Same with MS, EE, and ToT. We are still waiting for Rn'RC for my youngest to be tall enough.

As far as Space Mountain, maybe its just me, but I like "rough" coasters (so do my kids). To me Rn'RC is almost too smooth - almost :D

-dave

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
As someone who has two kids, I did not care either. At the time when my two girls were both too small to ride alone, you know what we did? We dealt with it an moved on. What a concept :D

Now that we are all big enough to ride it, thats what we do. Same with MS, EE, and ToT. We are still waiting for Rn'RC for my youngest to be tall enough.

As far as Space Mountain, maybe its just me, but I like "rough" coasters (so do my kids). To me Rn'RC is almost too smooth - almost :D

-dave
might I recommend the Predator at Darien Lake or any one of these bad boys you can find around the world:
four3td.jpg

dxwwf3

Thank you Lee :sohappy:

Lee

Adventurer
might I recommend the Predator at Darien Lake or any one of these bad boys you can find around the world:

Ooohhh.....a "hang and bang"!:D
I've been known to ride an SLC or three in my day. Positively silky smooth compared to some wooden muggings I've been on the unfortunate receiving end of. (Son of Beast, Ghostrider, Mean Streak, etc.)

Actually...an average SLC is not much rougher than Space Mountain...and that's sad.:cry:

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
it's unfortunate that GhostRider has become painful. It was brilliant when it opened. Try BoulderDash up in Connecticut...they just retracked it and it's silky-smooth once again!

Epcot82Guy

While I understand your point, Lee (and I may be misunderstanding your direction, and I apoligize upfront if I am). The problem is that the "pinnacle of coasters" at WDW begins to compete with truly big coasters. Disney's coasters have never been that thrilling by objective standards, especially when people come from locations with Six Flags, Cedar Fair, or Busch parks. Growing up, 200', 300' coasters were the norm, but Space Mountain was always one of my favorites up there. It was about the theme and the pure fun. It wasn't intense at all as a teen, but it was laugh out loud the entire way (and, as I've said, I am in the minority that has never found SM that rough, but I am a big wooden coaster fan, so rough may have a VERY different connotation). My point is that the more toward RnRC they go, the less interested in the coaster I am and I think many are. Teens will compare it to other parks. Families can't ride. The maintenance goes through the roof, and it costs a lot to redo.

Now, I am certainly not one that thinks SM could not use an update. The exit line, load station, and interior especially need an update. It is way too light inside, and the star effects are getting lost. I also think some of the star/comet effects from DL could be a welcome touch. (I don't like the soundtrack because I think the echoing sounds of the dome makes the experience). So, Disney should stick to what they do best: Making great atmospheres, and letting the trill/ride system take a back seat to that.

Lee

Adventurer
While I understand your point, Lee (and I may be misunderstanding your direction, and I apoligize upfront if I am). The problem is that the "pinnacle of coasters" at WDW begins to compete with truly big coasters. Disney's coasters have never been that thrilling by objective standards, especially when people come from locations with Six Flags, Cedar Fair, or Busch parks. Growing up, 200', 300' coasters were the norm, but Space Mountain was always one of my favorites up there.
I think you miss my point a bit. I'm not asking for a lot more thrill, I'm asking for better quality. By that I mean smoother, better effects, nicer trains, updated load/unload, better effects, etc. I love the big coasters, but Space can't and shouldn't compete with them.

Epcot82Guy said:
It was about the theme and the pure fun. It wasn't intense at all as a teen, but it was laugh out loud the entire way (and, as I've said, I am in the minority that has never found SM that rough, but I am a big wooden coaster fan, so rough may have a VERY different connotation).
Sure, it's not woodie rough, but for an indoor steel coaster, it leaves a lot to be desired. I want it smooth, like DL's new one.

Epcot82Guy said:
My point is that the more toward RnRC they go, the less interested in the coaster I am and I think many are.
And many feel the opposite. That RnRC is twice the ride SM is. Gotta find a middle ground, but you can't please everyone.

Epcot82Guy said:
Teens will compare it to other parks.
That's fine. A good coaster will stand up to comparison...SM doesn't.

Epcot82Guy said:
Families can't ride.
As I said in my earlier post...I don't care about that. Not every ride is for every guest. Shoot for the highest quality and let the height requirement fall where it may.

Epcot82Guy said:
The maintenance goes through the roof, and it costs a lot to redo.
Not when done properly. RnRC doesn't take much more to maintain than any other newer coaster, other than the launch system.

Epcot82Guy said:
Now, I am certainly not one that thinks SM could not use an update. The exit line, load station, and interior especially need an update. It is way too light inside, and the star effects are getting lost. I also think some of the star/comet effects from DL could be a welcome touch. (I don't like the soundtrack because I think the echoing sounds of the dome makes the experience). So, Disney should stick to what they do best: Making great atmospheres, and letting the trill/ride system take a back seat to that.
Here's the thing. The rides needs all the improvements above (plus sound...GOTTA have sound!), and that is what will create a great atmosphere. Thrill ain't the issue, ride quality (which enhances atmosphere) is.

fyn

Are people really arguing against improving the quality of Space Mountain? I consider myself a traditionalist when it comes to Disney, and I can't even understand that viewpoint.

PhilharMagician

Here's the thing. The rides needs all the improvements above (plus sound...GOTTA have sound!), and that is what will create a great atmosphere. Thrill ain't the issue, ride quality (which enhances atmosphere) is.

What and you don't thing seeing the ride framework during the ride, hopeing you don't break a rib in the corners or looking down and seeing light from the load zone aren't atmosphere. :lookaroun :lol:

RnRC puts a lot less stress on the body than SM even with the inversions.

WDWGuide

My point is that the more toward RnRC they go, the less interested in the coaster I am and I think many are. Teens will compare it to other parks. Families can't ride.

I don't think many people are advocating Disney to go a high-thrill route while sacrificing more traditional ride concepts. It's about finding a balance between the two. For every RnRC there should be a Soarin', Nemo and Toy Story Mania! But like I said before, adding a state-of-the-art inverted coaster and a true woodie would complement the present attraction lineup tremendously.

As for RnRC... it is a product of the Eisner "cardboard" era, and while it's a fun little ride, I don't think it's a true indication what Disney is capable of doing with a high-speed coaster. Add DLP-SM or Everest-caliber theming, and the comparison with Six Flags goes right out of the window (especially considering that the addition of a high-speed inverted coaster doesn't negate all the other attractions that WDW has to offer that a Six Flags does not).
Even though RnRC isn't a good example, the simple fact that it is enclosed and very lightly themed makes it a completely different experience from its unthemed outdoor brother, Xpress. They are virtually the same ride, but they feel completely different.

As far as family friendliness goes... It is true that height and medical restrictions preclude the very young and poor of health from riding, which is why I think such rides should not become a primary focus for the company. Those who can ride, however, often have a better "family" ride experience than with traditional coasters because they often seat 3-5 people in the same row. Many other family-oriented parks have diversified their attraction lineup along these lines (an excellent example in the US is Silver Dollar City, abroad good old Phantasialand comes to mind again).

As for good old WDW-SM... it's time to say goodbye and bring it up to par with DL's. A track conversion will lower the height requirement, make it a smoother ride, add the option for sound and better SFX AND lets people sit side-by-side.

RnRC puts a lot less stress on the body than SM even with the inversions.

RnRC is like (mild) aerobatics... SM is like a crash landing.

SamatBCV

GOTTA have sound

That is the biggest problem with SM now IMHO. When they reconfigured the line so that very few people are in the loading area, the sound level went down. Now, the sound is dead. I hope they rehab the ride and make it more modern, but either they have to fix the lines so that there is more noise, or have a soundtrack.. or BOTH.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom