Space Mountain Mission 2.0

erasure fan1

but this attraction surely needs at least some TLC, if not more. When most people think of WDW coasters, they still think of SM first, so it'd be nice if it lived up to its flagship presence.
Thats how I feel. I would like to see major work but at the least smooth out the track add some new effects...

yankeemouse said:
Getting to the point that we don't even want to waste a fastpass on it, get there and find it closed down again. Happy the much needed refurb/repair/upgrade is going to happen.
I only ride it once per trip anymore and thats just out of tradition. Its a rough ride and needs some work so I am VERY happy to see this happen.

kcnole

I want SM to be rehabbed but it still needs to remain a family friendly coaster. no flipping upside down or anything like that. I love its layout, I just want some better effects, smoother tracks, and a better lift hill. Don't go ruining this by making it some crazy coaster.

Pete C

I wish someone would just spill the beans on this one already. When is the next time that Disney would hold a press conference to announce new projects?

jt04

Personally I can't see them doing another refurb of the current system. It is incredibly dated technology. I would hope too they would keep it inversion free so anyone can ride it. I like the idea of a single track layout with high capacity "launched" ride vehicles with the emphasis on the special effects. I just hope the budget goes into the building. The ouside looks fine. It needs a complete refurb more than any other attraction at WDW. Fingers crossed. Of course they could always put a log flume ride in there:rolleyes:

nodoubter810

This great news but, I really hope they don't change the tracks and make it a loop rollercoaster ::ducks:: I'm just deathly afraid of anything that involves going upside down and this is one of my favorite rides.

dave2822

I would imagine there be a .00001% chance this ride is gutted, and even less of a chance of inversions ever added. I think a deep rehab, including audio system, new vehicles, extensive track work, and maybe some que changes would be the extent of the rehab.

Another thing to consider: would a year-length SM rehab alter a significant amount of guests to prolong some of their MK visits?

Craigjr93

Screamscape reports today a rumor that WDW may use the same marketing for the new Space Mountain as was used in Paris for theirs. Before you cry foul play, this would clearly suggest, then, that we will see major upgrades to the ride (special effects, on ride audio), and not the lame change that has been rumored of late (mostly backstage work and new loading gates). Good news to my ears, at least. It also sounds right up Jay Rasulo's alley to market two rides the same way, and this is one instance where I don't really think that's a particularly bad thing. I don't care how they market it as long as we get major upgrades.
Well they should be working on the stuff like cleaning it because if you get a good look at the robot that does not move before you go to the store you will see cob webs.

darthjohnny

It sounds really cool if they go through with it.

I wonder if they'll keep the Peoplemover/TTA tunnels open if they do the rehab to this extent. :)

jt04

Well they should be working on the stuff like cleaning it because if you get a good look at the robot that does not move before you go to the store you will see cob webs.

Now we know where the HM spider scene went to:eek:

PS- The current track system can't be repaired forever, which convinces me it will be a major overhaul. I think it is inevitable it will get a new track! It just doesn't need to be as "Amped Up" as RnR. It would be good if it was a MK type of attraction with state of the art FX.

erasure fan1

The current track system can't be repaired forever:animwink: I think it is inevitable it will get a new track!
Good point so why not just do it now so you can just get it over and done with. I would rather see one long refurb and have a ride that is awesome when its done.

PhilharMagician

Good point so why not just do it now so you can just get it over and done with. I would rather see one long refurb and have a ride that is awesome when its done.

And that is what you will most likely get.

We have received many hints from Lee about what to expect for SM2. He does not expect it to be spit and polish. It needs to be gutted and reimagineered and I would expect that. It will become more thrill oriented, but lets hope it does not go overboard. Thrill rides attract huge numbers of people and that is good for business.

RHeath2

Also, isn't the current track layout design actually owned by a Swiss/Swedish company (I can't remember which one)? As long as Stitch doesn't move to Space Mountain (or any character for that matter), I'll be happy.

Lee

Adventurer
We have received many hints from Lee about what to expect for SM2. He does not expect it to be spit and polish.

At this point I don't expect anything in particular. I have heard so many concepts that I currently have no idea what they have decided on. It could be a "spit and polish" but I highly doubt it.
Gutting? I wish, but doubt as well.

Also, isn't the current track layout design actually owned by a Swiss/Swedish company
Nope. It's an original WED design.

PhilharMagician

At this point I don't expect anything in particular. I have heard so many concepts that I currently have no idea what they have decided on. It could be a "spit and polish" but I highly doubt it.
Gutting? I wish, but doubt as well.

Now you just ruined my day. So now are you saying no new track? No new queue? No new effects? No Sound effects?:confused:

What do you really think wil be done? I hope you are not going to say only ther load zone.:(

Lee

Adventurer
Now you just ruined my day. So now are you saying no new track? No new queue? No new effects? No Sound effects?:confused:
What do you really think wil be done? I hope you are not going to say only ther load zone.:(

As I said above, I have no idea.
None of my sources has tipped me off as to which concept they have chosen or what the budget will be.:shrug:

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
As I said above, I have no idea.
None of my sources has tipped me off as to which concept they have chosen or what the budget will be.:shrug:
have they even decided on that yet? I must say, I am encouraged by what I am hearing about the Mansion, though.

gusgoose

I think the bouncing around and whiplash is part of the fun. But maybe I'm weird.

All I ask is that they add some music/sound effects and make it darker. That would be sweet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom