SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

janoimagine

Sorry to hear that. The skipper problem really is just very bad luck. As for the packing of people in, did you complain? They enacted a rule this year that we have to put as close to the maximum as we can on each boat. I agree that it makes the ride very uncomfortable.

The scenes are rotationally cleaned by cast members before the ride opens. I've never done it, and I honestly have no idea as to the frequency it happens.

And let me know next time you are going. I know plenty of great skippers.:D

I figure it was just bad luck. No we didn't complian, I was just happy to be off the boat. The guy I was next to smelled like he hadn't bathed in a week. Regarding the cleaning I was wondering about that because every other animal in those sets were spotless, except those two, they just looked odd to me. I will let you know next trip. I kept telling my girlfriend how good the ride was and we were both let down. Theirs always next time. :D

EPCOT Explorer

WOAH. NOT A MUST-DO?!?!?!?!?!?

Eh, I would have agreed with you two years ago, but then I rediscovered JC, and my life has never been the same. (Cue sappy love music here.)

Did it a few times in the early 90's, and a few times this decade, too. It's fun, but I've never been overly impressed with it.:shrug::lol:

It's old school, and nostalgic, and all, but I dunno.

hack2112

Did it a few times in the early 90's, and a few times this decade, too. It's fun, but I've never been overly impressed with it.:shrug::lol:

It's old school, and nostalgic, and all, but I dunno.
I'm just a sucker for a good spieler. They're being payed to be awesome interpers. That right there is win.

hack2112

Costs less to operate the party. There also must not be much demand to ride it during the parties.

Of course I have no doubt that JC is closed due to operational costs. I hear those Skippers are expensive to maintain. If you don't do it properly their spiel-o-meter starts going haywire.

WDW1974

Hey, I know this has turned into a JC thread (and I took three rides and really enjoyed them ... ), but I really want to chime in with my 'they did almost nothing to Space mountain, which can easily be seen as soon as it goes 101 --- as it did numerous times last week -- and they turn the lights on and you see what a half-arsed mess the place is, and that it largely $ucks as much it did before. Just darker and cleaner and asbestos-free.

And the great news is with TDO management it'll be the same ride 15 years from now too!

Iceviper123

Well just getting in from a night from the kingdom i rode SM several times. I wasn't too impressed, though i knew not to expect too much.

The queue is freshened up a bit and the most dramatic change being the area where there wasn't a ceiling. I found the projection effects to be cool, although I always found it neat to see the open mountain and hearing the screams and seeing the rockets soar in space. In the end I'm glad they decided to close it because the on-ride show is so much stronger.

The speed tunnel effect is more effective because of the new lighting effect that replaced the silly mirror at the end of the tunnel. The transition from the tunnel to the lift is better imo, until you have the awkward photo flash. The lift seems faster that before but definitely not quieter. The on-ride is, of course, the same with it being darker and stars being brighter. I did find the old projections incredibly cheesy though. Since they closed the ceiling of the queue, you can now see rockets and other passengers ascend into the stars while your soaring in space. Even though this may be a weird highlight, it was my favorite part of the refurb. I'm incredibly disappointed that the rockets don't glow in the dark anymore though. That was a really neat kinetic effect that I enjoyed and it also ruins potential magic of the TTA view. Now you don't see one thing when the TTA enters the mountain except when you go in between the lifts. (I was really looking forward to it too.:veryconfu) Im going to skip the re-entry tunnel.:dazzle:

The transition also from the re-entry tunnel to the exit is much improved.
Your rocket used to stop inside the mountain then enter the exit. Now it slow just a bit and continues to the exit station. I did enjoy the exit except the powered walkway was down.

Overall like most said, the entire ride was cleaned up and some minor changes. It still bothers me that they didn't get rid of the the re-entry tunnel....:hammer:
Oh well.:shrug:

Lee

Adventurer
When you get to the bottom of the ride on the final helix, can you still see the floor and the supports all around you?
Yep. I did.

By the way. Just watched the video of the new Space Fantasy coaster at Universal Japan. You guessed it. Looks better than WDW's SM. Queue is cool, too.:rolleyes:

ryno1982

I'll also confirm that the airgates are now blue instead of purple. Also, for some strange reason, they changed the last lighted sign on the wall behind the load. It used to light up and say "have a pleasant flight," but now says "rocket ready!".

magicmaya

I'll also confirm that the airgates are now blue instead of purple. Also, for some strange reason, they changed the last lighted sign on the wall behind the load. It used to light up and say "have a pleasant flight," but now says "rocket ready!".

I hope they change some more things too

re-entry tunnel :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom