SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

Kuhio

No. It's necessary because I thought it was a funny and lighthearted way to express my complete and total disagreement with your post. No offense was intended.

Nah...my opinion has plenty of weight, as does yours, regardless of whether or not I tack a funny little smiley to it or not.:D
The fact is, I have spent quite a bit of time and typing energy over the last year or so expressing my opinion on this topic and at this point I'm really not keen on engaging in a well-reasoned, pseudo-intellectual dissertation on the merits or drawbacks of onboard audio. Much less get into an argument over opinion. I'd much rather just toss out a funny smiley, state my disagreement and move on.

Although I thought the use of that particular smilie was inappropriate, I was more baffled than offended by the post in general, as well as by the number of other "ditto," "I agree -- just your opinion," etc. posts that others made. (So my general response on this matter wasn't directed just at you.) I don't quite understand why this particular issue seems to continue to incite such a firestorm of strong reaction, more than 1,000 posts into the thread -- you would think I'd said "lost children should be fed to the gators" or something.

It's one thing to express your opinion the first couple of times an issue comes up; it's another to feel like you have to put that same opinion on the record every time someone expresses a contrary view, even if that means saying "this refurb is a huge fail" (or words to that effect) countless times over a course of months and months. Doing that is bound to make someone feel tired and worn down after nearly a year of debating the same subject, because there's always going to be someone new to say something you disagree with.

Personally, I don't see the need to always state my disagreement just because someone expresses a view that I don't agree with. (If I did, I probably would have made more than 130-some posts by now over the last few years.) At some point, there just isn't enough time in the day. If I've already made my point of view well known and someone else comes along with a statement I disagree with, for my own sake I'd probably just say, "eh, whatever" and move on, rather than feeling compelled to drop a curt post and a smilie that could potentially be misinterpreted or offend, even if I don't intend it to.

Just my opinion, of course. :D

EPCOT Explorer

And you know this because you've been in space?

Space Mountain isn't supposed to provide a realistic simulation of an actual trip to or through outer space. If it were, then all of the Space Mountains would be monumental failures. It would be akin to saying, "Technically, when you travel through space, you wouldn't just turn left and right, or travel at a speed of 30 miles per hour." (And how, "technically," does onboard audio provide a realistic sensation of being in space?)

Rather, Space Mountain is supposed to be evocative of a thrilling, high-speed journey through space -- something out of the realm of science-fiction.

Realistic, maybe. In the 70's. As you've said, this is SciFi. When people think of SciFi, don't we think of all those great movies, with great scores, and music to heighten the experience? To me, this is like watching (or experiencing, in this case) Star Wars, but without the music. If WDI wants to make the ride like a REAL trip into space, I can see where music wouldn;t come in. But in this "new" Tomorrowland with Star Port 77, and a "working city of the future", the music, and the thematics it adds works perfectly. Like in Disneyland.:D

janoimagine

Realistic, maybe. In the 70's. As you've said, this is SciFi. When people think of SciFi, don't we think of all those great movies, with great scores, and music to heighten the experience? To me, this is like watching (or experiencing, in this case) Star Wars, but without the music. If WDI wants to make the ride like a REAL trip into space, I can see where music wouldn;t come in. But in this "new" Tomorrowland with Star Port 77, and a "working city of the future", the music, and the thematics it adds works perfectly. Like in Disneyland.:D

Agreed, plus Mission Space is, as stated by a couple astronaut's, the closes space simulator anyone has built to date. (Outside of Nasa test facilities of course.) I see no reason to duplicate this in the MK.

Space Mountain is and always has been, to me, more of a lighthearted nod at space travel, where their are no set rules. However, after having ridden it about 10 times on our November trip, I share the opinion of the majority here. It could have been so much more. The new que looks great, the subltle touches to the que look great, the enclosed cieling, neon and load gates look great, the post show looks great save for the unfinished green wall, but the ride itself is the same old ride, whatever enhancements were made were minimal at best and left me scratching my head. I will always love that ride, but Disney dropped the ball on a golden opportunity here. IMHO.

EPCOT Explorer

Agreed, plus Mission Space is, as stated by a couple astronaut's, the closes space simulator anyone has built to date. (Outside of Nasa test facilities of course.) I see no reason to duplicate this in the MK.

Space Mountain is and always has been, to me, more of a lighthearted nod at space travel, where their are no set rules. However, after having ridden it about 10 times on our November trip, I share the opinion of the majority here. It could have been so much more. The new que looks great, the subltle touches to the que look great, the enclosed cieling, neon and load gates look great, the post show looks great save for the unfinished green wall, but the ride itself is the same old ride, whatever enhancements were made were minimal at best and left me scratching my head. I will always love that ride, but Disney dropped the ball on a golden opportunity here. IMHO.
I agree with you fully.

Still don't know if I want to waste my time with it this Friday. It seems to be the same ride.

EPCOT Explorer

You didn't do it last time!:fork:

How would you not have time!? Besides, this week is when all my hilarious friends start coming back!:lol:

Eh, as heinous as this sounds to you, it's never been one of our must do's.:shrug::lookaroun

Like I said, if the wait is decent.:lol: Last time it was at 50 mins consistently.

SirGoofy

That's a plan. Does it run in the rain? I'm looking at a 70% chance for showers.

As long as there's no lightning, yea. But, I'd recommend not doing it in the rain. Your fellow guests on the boat will be miserable, and will be a lot less fun.

So if anything, if it's not raining when you get there, I'd do JC first. No wait.

EPCOT Explorer

As long as there's no lightning, yea. But, I'd recommend not doing it in the rain. Your fellow guests on the boat will be miserable, and will be a lot less fun.

So if anything, if it's not raining when you get there, I'd do JC first. No wait.

Ah, very cool. REALLY hoping for that 70% chance to be in the morning.:dazzle::lol:

I would very much like to see Holiday Wishes dry.:lookaroun

SirGoofy

Yep. :wave:

Leave the same morning, and we usually get there around 12, so this was a inexpensive (kinda) way to get in for half a day, and see some new stuff. Like th e fireworks, lights, and parade.

And crowds.

And rain.:dazzle::ROFLOL:

Are you going to be in the park by 4? Because JC isn't open for the party.:wave:

janoimagine

Just get a fastpass.

Oh, and if you don't go on the Jungle Cruise this weekend, you're dead to me.

Just an FYI - We did JC first in our November trip just for you Goof, I wrote about it in my trip report, (link below, shameless plug) the long and short of it was that we had a terrible skipper, and even though their was only a 5 minute wait, they packed, I mean packed the boats full of people, we were crammed and miserable. When are they going to clean the animatronic animals that are in the water? I saw an elephant and a gator that had months (if not more) of alge and scum build up on them. If your on duty this coming October, or know of a good skipper we should ride with, I would be glad to do it again, but it wasn't a good experience our last trip.

Sorry to stray off topic guys. :D

SirGoofy

Just an FYI - We did JC first in our November trip just for you Goof, I wrote about it in my trip report, (link below, shameless plug) the long and short of it was that we had a terrible skipper, and even though their was only a 5 minute wait, they packed, I mean packed the boats full of people, we were crammed and miserable. When are they going to clean the animatronic animals that are in the water? I saw an elephant and a gator that had months (if not more) of alge and scum build up on them. If your on duty this coming October, or know of a good skipper we should ride with, I would be glad to do it again, but it wasn't a good experience our last trip.

Sorry to stray off topic guys. :D

Sorry to hear that. The skipper problem really is just very bad luck. As for the packing of people in, did you complain? They enacted a rule this year that we have to put as close to the maximum as we can on each boat. I agree that it makes the ride very uncomfortable.

The scenes are rotationally cleaned by cast members before the ride opens. I've never done it, and I honestly have no idea as to the frequency it happens.

And let me know next time you are going. I know plenty of great skippers.:D

hack2112

Yeah. All that. Well said, sir.
Thank you kindly, sir.

Exactly. I think it's hysterical.
Also, it is a good representation of how much frustration I feel, and have felt for many months, over this whole situation. It's a long and sordid soap opera of a refurb and at this point I'm so :brick: about it, if I don't let off a little "smiley steam" I'd likely fall out of my chair and lie twitching on the floor.
Same. Except the falling and twitching on the floor bit. I would twitch and then fall on the floor.

Dude...any of them. Can't take the sky....er....mountain from me.:cool:
Not even Fox could do that. (And considering that three of their shows they should have kept going have been continued in some way or another shows how wrong they are. I will miss Dollhouse.)

Eh, as heinous as this sounds to you, it's never been one of our must do's.:shrug::lookaroun

Like I said, if the wait is decent.:lol: Last time it was at 50 mins consistently.
WOAH. NOT A MUST-DO?!?!?!?!?!?

Eh, I would have agreed with you two years ago, but then I rediscovered JC, and my life has never been the same. (Cue sappy love music here.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom