SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sigh... Space Fanatsy may be naff in places but is has audio, smooth track, and some stunning visuals. For a D Ticket ride that is an obvious wannabe Orlando SM. The line alone must have cost more than WDWs refurb fiasco.

It just makes me mad thinking how Orlandos could have been like this but far better. Far better than any indoor coaster. And ot would have been too.

Now to calm down, 2 random questions:

Why do people not lock their camera focus on dark rides?

Why do the Japs have an insane interest in putting captions over every bit of video they can?

cmatt

Sigh... Space Fanatsy may be naff in places but is has audio, smooth track, and some stunning visuals. For a D Ticket ride that is an obvious wannabe Orlando SM. The line alone must have cost more than WDWs refurb fiasco.

It just makes me mad thinking how Orlandos could have been like this but far better. Far better than any indoor coaster. And ot would have been too.

Now to calm down, 2 random questions:

Why do people not lock their camera focus on dark rides?

Why do the Japs have an insane interest in putting captions over every bit of video they can?

1. Because - as people are badly educated morons and do not think about the end result... At work I use the phrase s**t in s**t out.... I really do not understand why on earth people even bother to upload it to youtube.

2. i dunno - it is AS ANNOYING as the peace sign that they make when people take photos of them... highly irritating as number 1.

i REALLY do like the visual effects on that ride... but a part from the visual stimulus it looks a bit... dull. It pains me to see the disney world sm a really half hearted update... they should of just done remedial repairs and waited/begged for more cash in the coffers to get a better finish.

EpcotServo

Yep. I did.

By the way. Just watched the video of the new Space Fantasy coaster at Universal Japan. You guessed it. Looks better than WDW's SM. Queue is cool, too.:rolleyes:

The star effects in that ride are soooo amazing!!!! :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1ucVkrC6t8&translated=1

the queue

That's how it's done.

Also anything narrated in Japanese is inherently more interesting than the sound of silence and roller coaster rattling such as we have here.

Also I love the Robot, something like that would have been awesome here. Reminds me of a Haru from Gundam. Haru Haru!

disneysroyal411

I love the soundtrack to that ride!!! O it was wonderful! Why can't our SM actually have theme! Or Music!!! Argh! Disney needs to get sponsors again, thats just how it works!

MKCP 1985

Don't tell my 10 year old niece the Space Mountain refurb wasn't all that - she lost her backpack to deep space yesterday after it went over the side on a sharp curve that sent her feet flying up! :lol: :lookaroun

hopefully the good CMs there can make a space walk from the station and make a save for her. :king:

Pete C

Ok so I finally got over to ride Space Mountain. Even though I live in Orlando I didn't rush over there due to the weak reviews. Well, those reviews are unfortunately spot-on. Fasspassers were forced to ride the Omega side, which I usually do not favor, but I was planning to choose that side anyway to mix things up.

Near the end of the blue tunnel, I closed my eyes for the photo flash so my pupils would be properly dilated for the darkness. I can say this...it is definitely dark in there. It was so dark I really could not see what was coming up next at all. There are a few little console lights or something here and there near the end of the ride that give you some bearing...I don't understand what they are for and why they don't just turn them off. Still, it's really dark. The ride kept me guessing. I never did memorize the track so the drops and turns always come as a surprise to me. SM's overall track layout is fantastic and this is one thing they got right from the start.

That said, the track and ride quality are as rough as EVER. This is especially bad for a dark ride since you can't anticipate the turns. Your head and neck are subjected to whatever direction jolts are handed to you. I mean...I'm all for surprises, but this is ridiculous. The bumps and dips are absolutely spine jarring. In short...it sucked. I am going as far as to say that I probably am not going to ride Space Mountain anymore. It was just not enjoyable, and this is coming from a straight-up coaster fanatic who enjoys wooden coasters! I can only hope that the refurb was a part 1 of 2, though that seems highly unlikely. I can't wait for my next trip to Anaheim to ride the real SM.

the-reason14

I wonder if its gotten darker since January? I'm eager to see because in Jan. it was dark, but it seems from recent reports that its gotten darker. I'm pretty familiar with the layout, but I can understand about the jerkiness and not being able to anticipate the next move. But either way its still an improvement no matter what.

Monorail_Orange

I've said this before, I will say it again.

SM in this refurb only got better. It kept a lot of the charm that made it so fun - the very jerkiness and "unexpectedness" that people are complaining about. The track layout is absolutely phenomenal.

That having been said, the refurb was definitely disappointing. TDO cut far too much out of the budget on this one. I do think a lot was done given what little there was to work with - but it's like going to a car dealership to buy a Mustang Cobra, but instead coming away with a mid-level Focus because it was REALLY cheap.

As Coach Jim Mora once said, "Coulda, woulda, shoulda done better."

Pete C

I've said this before, I will say it again.

SM in this refurb only got better. It kept a lot of the charm that made it so fun - the very jerkiness and "unexpectedness" that people are complaining about. The track layout is absolutely phenomenal.

That having been said, the refurb was definitely disappointing. TDO cut far too much out of the budget on this one. I do think a lot was done given what little there was to work with - but it's like going to a car dealership to buy a Mustang Cobra, but instead coming away with a mid-level Focus because it was REALLY cheap.

As Coach Jim Mora once said, "Coulda, woulda, shoulda done better."

I said in my post that the layout is fantastic, so we are on the same page there, however the jerkiness is not charming at all to me. I am all for the unexpected nature of SM...that is what makes SM thrilling, but it is the way those curves and transitions are delivered that is the issue here. If they were smooth like DLs it would be a completely different story.

ryno1982

Me too, omg lol. The disney world one of course, I dont wanna be put to sleep on the other one lol.

Prefer the WDW version if you must, but don't pretend like the Anaheim version is sleep inducing. It's much better at creating the sensation of speed and smoothness, which is what a trip through space should be about.

On an unrelated note, last time I was on our Space Mountain, I used fastpass and to my dismay, they sent us to Alpha (the one with the terrible corridor). So it's not always a case of FP going to Omega.

Imagineer Mitch

Prefer the WDW version if you must, but don't pretend like the Anaheim version is sleep inducing. It's much better at creating the sensation of speed and smoothness, which is what a trip through space should be about.

On an unrelated note, last time I was on our Space Mountain, I used fastpass and to my dismay, they sent us to Alpha (the one with the terrible corridor). So it's not always a case of FP going to Omega.
You should be reminded that space mountain isn't suppose to be about just going through space, i believe from what i remember is it has something to do with stopping astroids from hitting the space station

the-reason14

I dont have to pretend. You can prefer the boring one if you want. "Oh wow, look at all the pretty lights!" Because thats all you gonna get. *Yawn*

RSoxNo1

Space Mountain improved in this refurbishment, but the problem is with the long slung rockets it's still going to be a rough ride. There's no room to absorb any of the welds or imperfections in the track. This is why Disneyland's version or a coaster with a longer train feels smoother.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom