SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

Skyway

I've mentioned before that I detest competitions between the SM's at WDW and DL.

But since many insist on keeping this debate going, lets break it down into its absolute most simple parts (keeping in mind the original infrastructure of both attractions):

EXTERIOR --
* DL has cool roof lights.
* WDW's mountain is more imposing.
* Both have uninspiring landscaping and entryways.

Verdict: Slight edge to DL.

QUEUE --
* DL forces most visitors to begin their wait outside in the blazing sun.
* WDW's interior queue is longer, with Star Tunnels, windows into space, and video games, but a so-so boarding area.
* DL has an improved but still so-so queue, with a spectacular boarding area with neon-lit load gates and other lighting effects.

Verdict: Slight edge to WDW, but still pretty close to a tie.

RIDE --

*DL has onboard audio.
*WDW has unique dual tracks.
*Both have the same blue launch tunnel.
*DL has virtual "spinning tunnel" lift hill. WDW has physical props and set pieces.
*DL has an extremely smooth, but rather mundane track layout.
*WDW has a moderately smooth, but much more diverse track layout.
*Both are dark.
*Both have uninspiring projections.
*DL has a more impressive re-entry tunnel that leads right into loading station.
*WDW has dated reentry tunnel that leads to more darkness, but then into an entirely separate unload area at a different elevation than load (unique among possibly any coaster in the world)

Verdict: Major edge to DL, but only because of audio and re-entry tunnel. Otherwise, the elements are either identical, or so completely different due to the original infrastructure that comparisons are unfair.

POSTSHOW --

*WDW has a great new one, inspired by nostalgia.
*DL has none.

Verdict -- WDW wins by default.

FINAL VERDICT --

If DL's exterior lights cancel out WDW's queue and postshow, it boils down to two things: ON BOARD AUDIO AND REENTRY TUNNEL.

Just got on a soft open today. Overall I felt that SM is a better now than it was when it closed, and I love the new darker ride. Really changes things.

I think someone else said that it is eerily silent in the dome while on the attraction, that is true.

With that said, there have not been that many changes. The most drastic is the queue and the darker ride. Its disappointing to hear what this could have been...I hope things get plussed a bit more 3rd shift

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Just a little more info on the ride photo, I noticed at the register in the shop that they can move the picture of you around within the image. So to use my picture as an example, they could move it to the left to bring the girl into view. Unless she's recently been time-traveling and prevented her parents from meeting each other. :lookaroun

DisneyGigi

Just returned home about an hour ago and was able to ride it yesterday our last day at the park around 1:00. ( we were second train out we noticed the sign change and did not budge) I have quite a few pics and will post later, I is tired! What was changed I liked could have been more but I love the stars and darkness feel and that there is a ride photo now. (took pics of that too) The games and screens while waiting are cool too didn't have much time to mess with it since we were so far up in line but it looked cool. Thrilled to have been able to squeak it in!!! :sohappy:

Exprcoofto

As soon as WDI lowers education and drawing-ability standards.

:lol:
They have high drawing standards? Hope my drawing ability (or lack of) won't compromise my dreams of becoming an Imagineer. Though I do well on graphics w/ using computer, which is how a lot of it is done now.

HMF

They have high drawing standards? Hope my drawing ability (or lack of) won't compromise my dreams of becoming an Imagineer. Though I do well on graphics w/ using computer, which is how a lot of it is done now.
I want to be a Show Writer (Eventually Producer) and my drawings suck.

Main Street USA

Unfortunately, before any computers are touched, you'll need to be able to present your ideas in VERY convincing fashion without a computer. If it really is your dream, and you can't currently draw, I'd say get good, and get good fast. Some of the best artists and talented people in the world are shot down over and over again.

There are certainly imagineers that work in a different capacity than that above, but being able to show your ability for the creative and fine arts is huge plus, regardless.

Exprcoofto

I want to be a Show Writer (Eventually Producer) and my drawings suck.

Unfortunately, before any computers are touched, you'll need to be able to present your ideas in VERY convincing fashion without a computer. If it really is your dream, and you can't currently draw, I'd say get good, and get good fast. Some of the best artists and talented people in the world are shot down over and over again.

There are certainly imagineers that work in a different capacity than that above, but being able to show your ability for the creative and fine arts is huge plus, regardless.

Sigh. I wish Imagineering wasn't that focused with the drawing aspect. I can come up with the fantastic ideas and sketch them - but nothing professionally done to be claimed as "art". Is there such a position of "Concept Designer" that doesn't require the physical drawing aspect? (probably not, but might as well ask)

My dream is to become an Imagineer and I have probably nearly 50 designs---er--sketches and ideas concepted all the way from 3 theme parks, several overlays, a couple of pyrotechnic shows, interactive attractions, dark rides, and basic ride refurbs. I'm planning on going into Digital Graphic Design in College out in CA and someday down the road end up at Imagineering.

Main Street USA

Sigh. I wish Imagineering wasn't that focused with the drawing aspect. I can come up with the fantastic ideas and sketch them - but nothing professionally done to be claimed as "art". Is there such a position of "Concept Designer" that doesn't require the physical drawing aspect? (probably not, but might as well ask)

My dream is to become an Imagineer and I have probably nearly 50 designs---er--sketches and ideas concepted all the way from 3 theme parks, several overlays, a couple of pyrotechnic shows, interactive attractions, dark rides, and basic ride refurbs. I'm planning on going into Digital Graphic Design in College out in CA and someday down the road end up at Imagineering.
Anything is possible, but it seems that being a bit of an artist is a huge help. Also, while it can't hurt to show them anything that is good, they are primarily interested in stuff that has NOTHING to do with Disney or the parks. They want to know that you can think unique thoughts, present them, solve unique problems, etc. That being said, if you had a current background with a different theme park company or something similar, EXPERIENCE will always help if you have something to show for it.

Invent something cool, design/build something cool with a new or unique way of putting something together, create something unique...be original and do it WELL.

From my experience, this is what they want to see. Good luck!

Exprcoofto

Anything is possible, but it seems that being a bit of an artist is a huge help. Also, while it can't hurt to show them anything that is good, they are primarily interested in stuff that has NOTHING to do with Disney or theme parks. They want to know that you can think unique thoughts, present them, solve unique problems, etc.

Invent something cool, design/build something cool with a new or unique way of putting something together, create something unique...be original and do it WELL.

From my experience, this is what they want to see. Good luck!

Thanks for the words of wisdom! :)

EPCOT Explorer

Just a little more info on the ride photo, I noticed at the register in the shop that they can move the picture of you around within the image. So to use my picture as an example, they could move it to the left to bring the girl into view. Unless she's recently been time-traveling and prevented her parents from meeting each other. :lookaroun
:ROFLOL:

So they move the frame around. Cool stuff. I'd rather have a new effect than a techy camera to pay for overpriced shots, though.:brick:

This is one of TDO's dumbest moves' EVER.
Actually, no. There's a wand, a hat, and a unfinished descent for that.

At least SM is still coherent, still intact, and still a passable experience.

There's 1/4th of a ride that is not...:rolleyes::(

Expo_Seeker40

So basically, all one would have to do is go through the new exit door...walk West down a hallway, and look for some light switches behind the star tunnel windows to turn their peppers ghost effect back on? :lookaroun

SMRT-1

Rode it today..Some thoughts:

The games are fun but the only thing is it doesn't tell you is the winner at the end of it. odd :shrug:

When you get up to the main que line area(the last area before you get on the ride)...it is definitely odd walking through the maze of that area then to the outer before you get on the ride....would make more sense walking through the outer side then through the que line. No idea why they changed this.

The blue neon lights look neat as well as the new projections.

The on ride photo camera location is very weird! The flash pretty much blinded me!

Noticed the chroma key green wall on the opposite side of where the TV's used to be......I am guessing their will be some sore of video of yourself walking like before but enhanced with a key when it opens.

Other than that...it is the same ride really just cleaner and lemon fresh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom