SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

Rob562

When you get up to the main que line area(the last area before you get on the ride)...it is definitely odd walking through the maze of that area then to the outer before you get on the ride....would make more sense walking through the outer side then through the que line. No idea why they changed this.

I think the new queue configuration will become more apparent when FastPass is in use and they'll have to operate the merge point between Standby and FastPass. (At least I'm hoping it will...)

Here's the diagram I made up last week to show my idea during a discussion about how I'd reconfigure the queue to allow merge to be close to the front of the line and Standby to use the interior queue, while still allowing both Standby and FastPass to choose between Alpha and Omega:
SpaceMountainQueue.jpg

(Standby is in Blue, FastPass in Red, the queue post-merge is in Purple)

Now, if you image the Purple merged queues in the diagram to be going through the bypass hallways, that might be something close to what they ended up doing. Only time will tell.

-Rob

Kuhio

Just a little more info on the ride photo, I noticed at the register in the shop that they can move the picture of you around within the image. So to use my picture as an example, they could move it to the left to bring the girl into view. Unless she's recently been time-traveling and prevented her parents from meeting each other. :lookaroun

If the new on-ride photo at SM is similar to that used elsewhere in Disney parks, they can do other things as well. When I got an on-ride photo at California Screamin' last year, they were able to not only move my image around, but enlarge it substantially. I rode by myself, and they were able to crop out the other people in the photo and make it so that I took up nearly the entire image part of the finished product.

The flexibility is really nice -- but they really need to fix the timing of the camera to prevent things like parts of people getting cut off in the displays that people first see when they get off the ride. If someone sees their photo on the monitor and it looks completely off, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the final image is going to turn out exactly the same -- many people might not even bother going to the counter to ask whether something can be done to adjust the image.

the-reason14

People can see good in whatever they want ... from Sarah Palin to crappy American cars to Walmart to this attraction. They can see what they want.

But there is nothing 'handicapped' about seeing clearly what was done and what wasn't.

True, and people can also see negative in anything. From a land about to be overhauled with several new additions, to a new film being added to an old simulator, and to a classic roller coaster thats just been refurbished and brought into this century. So it goes both ways. They could have done more, but they didn't. But what they did do is better than what was there, and to me and others, thats a good thing.

TURKEY

Rode it today..Some thoughts:

The games are fun but the only thing is it doesn't tell you is the winner at the end of it. odd :shrug:

It's part of the new America where there are no winners and losers and everyone gets a trophy so little Timmy's feelings don't get hurt. :rolleyes:

raven

Just a little more info on the ride photo, I noticed at the register in the shop that they can move the picture of you around within the image. So to use my picture as an example, they could move it to the left to bring the girl into view. Unless she's recently been time-traveling and prevented her parents from meeting each other. :lookaroun

They told us this as well when we got off the ride last night and viewed our picture. I was sitting in the back seat of the last car and in the photo it looked like I was in the front seat. I guess they haven't got the timing worked out yet.

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
True, and people can also see negative in anything. From a land about to be overhauled with several new additions, to a new film being added to an old simulator, and to a classic roller coaster thats just been refurbished and brought into this century. So it goes both ways. They could have done more, but they didn't. But what they did do is better than what was there, and to me and others, thats a good thing.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Just realize that you are being pleased by Disney making a bare minimum effort, when you compare it to their business practices for many decades. Fantasyland will be nice, I'm sure, but to say it consists of several new additions is a little bit of a stretch. One new ride, just one. A relocated, expanded ride. A couple of new eateries, which the park has needed, anyways, for years. A couple themed meet and greets, and probably a lot of nice landscaping. All good stuff, but remember that Disney has the ability to do this on a park-wide scale, which the Magic Kingdom could certainly use. Space Mountain, while still lots of fun, has not been brought into this century. Unless there is something particularly ultra-modern about being darker. Once again, they were capable of much, much more, but just did the bare minimum to keep the ride operational, and essentially just did what they could with the queue and exit areas in the short span of that time allotted. So if you're happy with that, that's fine for you, but there are many of us who want to see Walt Disney World resume meeting and exceeding its potential like what used to be the standard.

kcnole

For those of you talking about becoming an imagineer there's two things I'll mention.

1. One of the first things Lassiter pushed for when he became creative consultant was for all imagineers to be required to draw, any who couldn't were pushed out.

2. You'd do well to read through the Eddie Soto thread on here. Imagineering isn't interested in seeing your concepts for new rides or shows. They'll just tell you that any idea you have come up with has already been come up with from someone else. What they'd like to see is how you can take something and do it cheaper. Not making the show or effect less illustrious, but how you can give the same or better results with less cost.

That's what you should be working on. You show them how they can save money and you're hired.

Main Street USA

And there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Just realize that you are being pleased by Disney making a bare minimum effort, when you compare it to their business practices for many decades.

He doesn't need to "realize" anything. You're stating your opinion, and he may not share it. You need to "realize" that it's your opinion that this is what Disney is doing.

Enough of talking down to others over your personal opinions. It's not just you, and this may even be the first time I've seen you do it, personally, but it's just old overall.

Main Street USA

For those of you talking about becoming an imagineer there's two things I'll mention.

1. One of the first things Lassiter pushed for when he became creative consultant was for all imagineers to be required to draw, any who couldn't were pushed out.

2. You'd do well to read through the Eddie Soto thread on here. Imagineering isn't interested in seeing your concepts for new rides or shows. They'll just tell you that any idea you have come up with has already been come up with from someone else. What they'd like to see is how you can take something and do it cheaper. Not making the show or effect less illustrious, but how you can give the same or better results with less cost.

That's what you should be working on. You show them how they can save money and you're hired.
Yeah, like I said earlier, if you send them theme park ideas or other concepts for plussing current attractions, they'll throw your stuff right in the trash. Not only do they not need to see that, it's a legal issue. To avoid lawsuits from outsiders who submit ideas, they won't even look at them. Trash.

Unique stuff...problem solving skills...creative ways of building NEW ideas...and yeah, money saving doesn't hurt, but it's not a quick way into an Imagineer position. They have to design things to fit within a budget, but they don't make the budget.

s8film40

He doesn't need to "realize" anything. You're stating your opinion, and he may not share it. You need to "realize" that it's your opinion that this is what Disney is doing.

Enough of talking down to others over your personal opinions. It's not just you, and this may even be the first time I've seen you do it, personally, but it's just old overall.

Getting people to realize your opinion is the purpose of a discussion, it's exactly what your your doing and there is nothing wrong with it in either instance, it's a discussion forum after all.

Main Street USA

Getting people to realize your opinion is the purpose of a discussion, it's exactly what your your doing and there is nothing wrong with it in either instance, it's a discussion forum after all.
I think it's entirely wrong to insist someone realize they need to see something your way. Discussion should consist of the offering up of ones own opinion, not trying to force it upon others.

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster

I'm not talking down to anybody. Is it an opinion to state that Disney is capable of producing a much better product than they have been recently? I'm only going by what they conditioned me to expect out of them growing up. If what they do now makes some people satisfied, then I am truly happy for those people. But I am personally saddened by not seeing Disney live up to its previous standards.

msmith

My group was thrilled that SM opened earlier than expected.

We were @ the Magic Kingdom on Tuesday for the Christmas party and noticed the walls were down. After talking briefly with a CM, we learned that they were trying to open that day, but they ran into some issues. When we made it back to the MK on Friday, we made our way towards Tomorrow Land and saw a line forming. There was maybe 50-100 in front of us and we walked straight through the queue. We heard about the game later, but it wasn't turned on when we went through.

The cars are nice and shiny, the track was smooth, and we were really just happy to be able to ride before our trip was over.

s8film40

I think it's entirely wrong to insist someone realize they need to see something your way. Discussion should consist of the offering up of ones own opinion, not trying to force it upon others.

I don't think he was insisting that his opinion was the only possible way to look at it he was just offering up a different perspective, instead of looking at the short term he was looking at the long term, that's my opinion. You seem pretty insistent on people seeing things your way you should understand what it's like. There's nothing wrong with a strong discussion/debate I think you get more out of it on both sides. If you have something to add to the contrary you should, many people are open minded enough to listen to both sides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom