SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

EPCOT Explorer

I think the camera's timing might just be a little off. Looks like it took the picture a half-second too late, meaning that the rocket was farther along than it should have been. That accounts for the random space at the back of the rocket, as well as the passenger in the front seat being partially cut off.
Good thing it's Soft Openings, and they can fix it.

Still hoping for some new effects to be turned on, as well.:D

Any headway on outdoor cleaning?:wave:

raven

I think the camera's timing might just be a little off. Looks like it took the picture a half-second too late, meaning that the rocket was farther along than it should have been. That accounts for the random space at the back of the rocket, as well as the passenger in the front seat being partially cut off.

What? You don't like seeing the red fire alarm in the picture? :lol:

the-reason14

:snore::snore::snore: sorry, tired ... but you are mischaracterizing my statements. I never said it was better before. Just that nothing of substance has changed. The record is very clear that I am right on that.

Sorry, the queue isn't the ride. I first experienced this BS line when Kali River Rapids opened and had an amazingly beautiful queue and a godawful Six Flags-like raft ride.

When fans get excited over queues and not what follows, there's something wrong.

I have accepted that. Who wants to live in the past? But I won't watch Disney lower standards and quality and have apologists defend it without countering. ... And so the game goes on.:xmas::snore::xmas:

:lol::lol: Whatever, jus your opinion. Fixing the que was a substantial thing to do. Sure, they could have done more to the ride, but they didnt and they made the most of the money they had. So in all, good job. Im sure if they had added onboard audio, gutted and change the layout, figured out a way to make it go to the moon and back, that you and a few others would still be complaining about it. It seems like for you, its easy to find fault in everything WDW does, and yet you still choose to go in which I dont understand. But whatever, some people feed off of negativity and I guess thats your handicap. :cool::cool:

Just a couple of months till I get to blast off on my Space mt. again. Yea!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the pics and reviews guys.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks Steve.

Amyone know the status of the landscape behind the planter & bathrooms (have to get used to not calling it the skyway)? Looks like there is a wall still up. I guess the TTA would offer a view.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks Steve.

Amyone know the status of the landscape behind the planter & bathrooms (have to get used to not calling it the skyway)? Looks like there is a wall still up. I guess the TTA would offer a view.

You're welcome :)

Yep they are planting back there - new shrubs etc.

WDITrent

I think the reason why they can't put a camera in the re-entry or strobe tunnel is because it wouldn't fit. Both tunnels are very small and probably wouldn't have enough space to allow the camera to capture a wide enough shot at the right angle.

Disneyson 1

Just my 2 cents...

Nice what they did with the money. The cleaning, the games, the new load, the new strobe effect coupled with the camera at the end of the 1st lift, the darkness, the more cohesive post show... everything is well done. Too bad they could do so much more!

Skyway

I havn`t heard if the preceeding ones have been fixed? In the star corridor?

Single screen? That`s better. One small CRT or one large flat / projection?

The very first Star Tunnel (from "ball pit" to zig zag corridor) did not have any Pepper's Ghost effects other than just stars. (Did they used to have objects floating in them?) But the stars worked fine. The objects in the windows only appear on the FastPass (right) side of the zig-zag corridor.

There is a single, large flat screen (42" or larger) replacing the old CRT safety video monitors (I assume LCD instead of projection, but I didn't stick around long enough to look) I just glanced at it, but the old 4:3 safety video appeared stretched in the 16:9 screen--- another reason I'm sure a new safety video is on the way. The lawyers probably insisted on leaving some video there if the ride was open.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That video shows the new fire door very clearly. I guess regulations called for it and it makes sense down there. It leads through an access passage (used to access the peppers ghost displays) which runs behind the right hand wall, and then into the service corridor which is behind this and also runs under the railroad. Instead of turning left to follow the passage under the tracks directly ahead is a staircase that comes out into the VIP lounge garden. Tid bit; in that section of tunnel there are actually 5 tunnels; the entry tunnel, exit speedramp, effects access, service corridor and also a maintainence corridor behind the exit corridor wall (this is the area where the TV sets used to be)

EpcotServo

I think the reason why they can't put a camera in the re-entry or strobe tunnel is because it wouldn't fit. Both tunnels are very small and probably wouldn't have enough space to allow the camera to capture a wide enough shot at the right angle.

Yes, but there's two-Not one, but TWO, perfectly good straightaways after the red tunnel, where you have absolutely nothing to look at.

They NEEDED a more "wow" of an ending. In that space a proper rehab would enclose those two boring switch backs- So the show order would go like this, if I had my way:

New Fans BLAST hot air at the Rocket as it speeds through a fiery tube of red light from Hyperspace flight. After a sudden twist you're surrounded by Brilliant shades of blue and white as your Rocket slows from Hyperspace Speed, looking like dozens of brilliant streaks shooting past you into infinity. Suddenly they stop and begin to "roll" backwards giving the sensation that you're traveling slower than possible. Darkness gives way to glowing purple "landing" lights as if you're in a docking bay, followed by a turn into unload for Docking Procedures.

Sounds and looks cool, but is really just an easy retrofit of the Disneyland effect placed after the launch tube (Here's where photo op is easily placed and captures a much better moment.) and some simple show sets on the straightaway after it.

This is actually a very simple and cheap way to make us finally have a dramatic ending, my guess is that it wasn't cheap enough...
:brick:

Skyway

I think the effect works better than the old mirror; the one second effect you refer to is purely the end of the effect. If only they had installed the whole effect in the whole launch tube the end wall effect would have been more apparent.

So, the "sparkle" effect at the end of the launch tunnel is only a small part of what was originally planned for that area??

That makes absolutely no sense that they would include only that final one second of it.

Do you think there is any chance they are planning to replace the entire tunnel during 3rd shift with the full effect you hint at?

If so, that odd new effect coupled with the odd new music would make complete sense. (Is the missing effect something that could simply be overlayed on the existing blue streak launch tunnel? In other words, turn off the blue lights and install the new effect?)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The very first Star Tunnel (from "ball pit" to zig zag corridor) did not have any Pepper's Ghost effects other than just stars. (Did they used to have objects floating in them?).
Oh well, at least they are still there. Yep, they all used to have animated models like in the zig zag corridor. One was a moon buggy, another a satellite transmission from Rome, another a series of satellites around Earth, another a robot arm from an early shuttle, astronauts man-handling a satellite during an EVA and so on.
^First lift? There's only one lift, and the camera isn't at the end of it. :shrug:
Technically there are 4 lift hills but you`d only ever ride 2 :wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, the "sparkle" effect at the end of the launch tunnel is only a small part of what was originally planned for that area??
Do you think there is any chance they are planning to replace the entire tunnel during 3rd shift with the full effect you hint at?
Yep. Sadly I doubt it could be done 3rd shift without loosing the current effect for a period of time. Unless they can retrofit it the plan - I was told waaay back - was to have a similar effect to what is there now, but using LCD -or LED depending on budget- strips ; replacing the current bulb strips with these strips would have offered an effect of a starfield as the cars entered the tunnnel. The stars would quickly begin to move along the strips and towards you, giving a greater sense of speed, then begin to streak into elongating lines as you neared the end until dissappearing as you hit the turn.

and EpcotServo... you don`t know how close you are.

Exprcoofto

Yes, but there's two-Not one, but TWO, perfectly good straightaways after the red tunnel, where you have absolutely nothing to look at.

They NEEDED a more "wow" of an ending. In that space a proper rehab would enclose those two boring switch backs- So the show order would go like this, if I had my way:

New Fans BLAST hot air at the Rocket as it speeds through a fiery tube of red light from Hyperspace flight. After a sudden twist you're surrounded by Brilliant shades of blue and white as your Rocket slows from Hyperspace Speed, looking like dozens of brilliant streaks shooting past you into infinity. Suddenly they stop and begin to "roll" backwards giving the sensation that you're traveling slower than possible. Darkness gives way to glowing purple "landing" lights as if you're in a docking bay, followed by a turn into unload for Docking Procedures.

Sounds and looks cool, but is really just an easy retrofit of the Disneyland effect placed after the launch tube (Here's where photo op is easily placed and captures a much better moment.) and some simple show sets on the straightaway after it.

This is actually a very simple and cheap way to make us finally have a dramatic ending, my guess is that it wasn't cheap enough...
:brick:

You're hired, when do you want to start? :p

EPCOT Explorer

Yep. Sadly I doubt it could be done 3rd shift without loosing the current effect for a period of time. Unless they can retrofit it the plan - I was told waaay back - was to have a similar effect to what is there now, but using LCD -or LED depending on budget- strips ; replacing the current bulb strips with these strips would have offered an effect of a starfield as the cars entered the tunnnel. The stars would quickly begin to move along the strips and towards you, giving a greater sense of speed, then begin to streak into elongating lines as you neared the end until dissappearing as you hit the turn.

and EpcotServo... you don`t know how close you are.
:brick::brick::brick:

And how expensive would this be?!?:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom