SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

EPCOT Explorer

It shouldn't be about a competition of SM's....wouldn't it be kinda boring if they were clones of each other? What it should be about is appreciating each one as they are....unique to each park. Now WDW has one that has been dusted off and made fresh again. :cool:
Unique as in outdated and stuck in 1975? No. That's wrong. Unique should be new in concept, look, and even theme.

Not sure if anyone has answered your question yet but is this the Horizons reference?

queue4.jpg

3013jhj.jpg

(and is that a model of SSE in the background on the table??)
Oooh....It looks like it. :lol:

And yeah, that is reminiscent of the "music" scene.
Ladies and gentlemen, it's MESA VERDE!!!!
4103295910_e2227230d3_b.jpg

WIIIIIINNNN!!!!!:lol:

And I agree with Nick. SM was NEVER supposed to sink into this kind of condition. It should have been kept up to speed, not only in cleanliness, but in Maint. The outside of the Mountain is subject to this..... While the new Preshow and Post show are VERY well done, and hopefully the outside of the Mountain is too, the ride itself and lack of new effects is distressing. IF they absolutely needed to close this for Maint., they could have at least plussed the ride.

Hopefully they have....Soft Openings are never concrete and almost never show the final project. Look at SSE. :D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Alpha Centauri at the entrance (the sister destination to Brava Centauri by any chance?
Yep, Brava was the 3rd station in the series. According to lore, in Horizons space show scene you could see Alpha, Charlie and Delta in the background. Brava was nearly complete, but habitable, and Echo was half finished.
Well, I think before the refurb began they said it was simply a maintenance type of thing. We never really promised anything grand scale.
Sorry, but you are very wrong. A sore point. This was to be a major rebuild. The Orlando management cut the budget time and time again, and this is what we got. An improvement, but far less than we deserved. The lions share of the budget went to new RCS, track hardware and asbestos removal. Things that should have been done as and when anyways.

Horizons1

The thing about it though is that we should have at the very least expected this. IMO, TDO (not WDI) have fallen extremely short of where our (the fans) expectations should be. :shrug:

TDO does not care about the fans expectations and is not going to cater to them anytime soon. WDW is viewed for what it is: a business. The general public will continue to come even if the fans do not.

EPCOT Explorer

Yep, Brava was the 3rd station in the series. According to lore, in Horizons space show scene you could see Alpha, Charlie and Delta in the background. Brava was nearly complete, but habitable, and Echo was half finished.
Sorry, but you are very wrong. A sore point. This was to be a major rebuild. The Orlando management cut the budget time and time again, and this is what we got. An improvement, but far less than we deserved. The lions share of the budget went to new RCS, track hardware and asbestos removal. Things that should have been done as and when anyways.

Aaand now I miss Horizons, VERY, VERY bad. :eek: :lol:

What is the new RCS?

EPCOT Explorer

TDO does not care about the fans expectations and is not going to cater to them anytime soon. WDW is viewed for what it is: a business. The general public will continue to come even if the fans do not.

Does that make it right? The fans demand quality. The general public visitor can benefit from that, too. Either way, quality makes money.

This happens all the time in Disneyland.

krankenstein

Agreed!

I was talking about the people here that are passionately claiming this is a amazing rehab, when it really is the worse of the 4 updates (HoP, HM, Pirates, Space) we have gotten from a show perspective.

Edit: Make that 5, I forgot Small World.

Mansion Butler

I hope it changes, but I don't see it happening.
Once we talked this way about Disneyland. I remember growing up going to both parks, and my parents deciding we wouldn't go to DL anymore (even though it was closer) because it had fallen in to such nasty disrepair and was so much less "magical."

Yeah, funny to think about, huh. But it allows me to think maybe this stuff is cyclical.

Horizons1

Does that make it right? The fans demand quality. The general public visitor can benefit from that, too. Either way, quality makes money.

This happens all the time in Disneyland.

It may not make it right to you since you're a die-hard fan, but from the perspective of the company it's just fine and dandy. And while quality does make money, so does name-recognition. And as long as Walt Disney World and Space Mountain have large name recognition, it will remain that way. People from all over the world are still going to flock.

And yea, it does happen a lot in Disneyland. But, and this argument has been used a million times before, Disneyland is comprised of mostly locals. WDW not so much. It's just the way it is. Disneyland caters to the fans because that's its primary audience. WDW has a primary audience of world-wide visitors. Fans are the minority when it comes to WDW.

EPCOT Explorer

It may not make it right to you since you're a die-hard fan, but from the perspective of the company it's just fine and dandy. And while quality does make money, so does name-recognition. And as long as Walt Disney World and Space Mountain have large name recognition, it will remain that way. People from all over the world are still going to flock.

And yea, it does happen a lot in Disneyland. But, and this argument has been used a million times before, Disneyland is comprised of mostly locals. WDW not so much. It's just the way it is. Disneyland caters to the fans because that's its primary audience. WDW has a primary audience of world-wide visitors. Fans are the minority when it comes to WDW.

The thing is, the name recognition you speak of will be gone, if they do not live up to the standards that GOT them that reputation. It's happening already. Disney is just "another Universal" to some people. It shouldn't be like that.

As for Fans, and fan-bases....Hopefully that is beginning to change. Look at the AP Reaction to LoW. That could be the impetus for Disneyland eque change, ESPECIALLY if the same line of thought is applied to SM...and other, future events.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ibut from the perspective of the company it's just fine and dandy.
And that is what is so wrong in Orlando. The balance. It used to be tipped in favour of show. Now it is tipped too far in favour of the bottom line. The Disney difference is getting lost in the balance.

Horizons1

The thing is, the name recognition you speak of will be gone, if they do not live up to the standards that GOT them that reputation. It's happening already. Disney is just "another Universal" to some people. It shouldn't be like that.

As for Fans, and fan-bases....Hopefully that is beginning to change. Look at the AP Reaction to LoW. That could be the impetus for Disneyland eque change, ESPECIALLY if the same line of thought is applied to SM...and other, future events.

But that's just to some people. Most people still think Disney is the supremo number one destination. And most of those people don't pay attention to the details like the fans do. They're not going to notice or care if something's been changed or not, unless it's horribly out of date. They'll still go, have a good time with friends, buy merchandise, and come home boasting about the great time they had at WDW. The name-recognition isn't going to die out for a looong, loong time. Disney is cemented into people's minds.

It's possible, but AP's are still outnumbered by new guests. Not to mention Disney hates most APs. It will do as little as possible to cater to them.

Horizons1

And that is what is so wrong in Orlando. The balance. It used to be tipped in favour of show. Now it is tipped too far in favour of the bottom line. The Disney difference is getting lost in the balance.

Yes, I know. I remember it being so much better when I was a kid in the 90s. And that's not just because I was a kid, it's because it WAS so much better. But somewhere along the line, someone new came in and then something small got cut. No one said anything, so something else got cut. Still nothing was said. The cuts kept getting bigger, the cash kept flowing in, and the grins on TDO became twisted.

EPCOT Explorer

Show > Efficiency. Always and forever....
But that's just to some people. Most people still think Disney is the supremo number one destination. And most of those people don't pay attention to the details like the fans do. They're not going to notice or care if something's been changed or not, unless it's horribly out of date. They'll still go, have a good time with friends, buy merchandise, and come home boasting about the great time they had at WDW. The name-recognition isn't going to die out for a looong, loong time. Disney is cemented into people's minds.

It's possible, but AP's are still outnumbered by new guests. Not to mention Disney hates most APs. It will do as little as possible to cater to them.

While the name is cemented, it isn't concrete :)lookaroun:ROFLOL:) ....Things like this CAN change if they continue to cut the little details that DO make them special. Regular guests LOVE the little hidden details and minutia. Might not know about them, but it does add to their experience if pointed out....Or if they find them themselves. Cut those, but the quality, you end up with a generic product SOMEWHERE down the line. That's not good, even for a name brand.

How can Disney hate the AP-ers who give them the most money?:shrug: Hate that they demand quality, which is too hard for them to do, but hate their money? Doubt it. Disneyland, again. They listen over there.

EPCOT Explorer

Yes, I know. I remember it being so much better when I was a kid in the 90s. And that's not just because I was a kid, it's because it WAS so much better. But somewhere along the line, someone new came in and then something small got cut. No one said anything, so something else got cut. Still nothing was said. The cuts kept getting bigger, the cash kept flowing in, and the grins on TDO became twisted.

EXACTLY....Even down to the times. :D:wave:

xsupaxmanxsfnex

Someone that I know in the college program said in his facebook status that it was broken down. The status was updated 13 minutes ago so I am guessing this may still be the case but this does mean they soft opened today.

Horizons1

Show > Efficiency. Always and forever....

While the name is cemented, it isn't concrete :)lookaroun:ROFLOL:) ....Things like this CAN change if they continue to cut the little details that DO make them special. Regular guests LOVE the little hidden details and minutia. Might not know about them, but it does add to their experience if pointed out....Or if they find them themselves. Cut those, but the quality, you end up with a generic product SOMEWHERE down the line. That's not good, even for a name brand.

How can Disney hate the AP-ers who give them the most money?:shrug: Hate that they demand quality, which is too hard for them to do, but hate their money? Doubt it. Disneyland, again. They listen over there.

Disney is pretty much a generic product now. Characters are plastered everywhere, the shows are designed to be warm and fuzzy. It's already at that point and people are still coming.

Disney hates APs because they LOSE money on them. Rather than buy a new park ticket everytime they come, or stay in a resort, they just waltz right on in. Sure they'll buy food and souvineers, but they still don't bring in as much money as non-APs do.

EPCOT Explorer

Disney is pretty much a generic product now. Characters are plastered everywhere, the shows are designed to be warm and fuzzy. It's already at that point and people are still coming.

Disney hates APs because they LOSE money on them. Rather than buy a new park ticket everytime they come, they just waltz right on in. Sure they'll buy food and souvineers, but they still don't bring in as much money as non-APs do.
That is bound to end, soon....It's possible that people will get sick of that. I know that some are.:lol:

Maybe in DL, but not here, for the majority....Most have to stay, dine, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom