SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
A closer look at the redressed Fed-Ex work station...
4102685575_9bfc9342f0_b.jpg

MousDad

I know this is less than what we were originally slated to get, and that we deserve more. I know that TDO is cheap. I know that it still is a junior to DL and DLP. I know that these kind of changes could be done on 3rd shift in a perfect Disney universe.

But for what the project was scaled back to, I'm very happy with what we got.

My biggest fear (that was profulgated by some) was that we would get essential track maintenance and cleaning only, without any substantial additions/improvements to show elements. Thankfully, that was not the case.

Plus, it appears they preserved the great music too.

So I would like to reiterate that I refuse to feel guilty about discussing the changes and enjoying the awesome pics and reports from our colleagues.

EPCOT Explorer

I know this is less than what we were originally slated to get, and that we deserve more. I know that TDO is cheap. I know that it still is a junior to DL and DLP. I know that these kind of changes could be done on 3rd shift in a perfect Disney universe.

But for what the project was scaled back to, I'm very happy with what we got.

My biggest fear (that was profulgated by some) was that we would get essential track maintenance and cleaning only, without any substantial additions/improvements to show elements. Thankfully, that was not the case.

Plus, it appears they preserved the great music too.

So I would like to reiterate that I refuse to feel guilty about discussing the changes and enjoying the awesome pics and reports from our colleagues.
But....Where did that come in the ride itself? Preshow/Postshow is great, I admit, but this thing is to be ridden, after all.

EPCOT Explorer

It's funny to hear you whine and complain between your praising and compliments. Here is how it looks in smiley form...

:mad::D:mad::D:mad::D

It's funny to see you post blatant truth?:shrug:

It's true though...in some ares they shine, in others they don't.

Forgive me for offering my not diluted, non spinning, and honest opinion.

TURKEY

After 9 pages of posts (for me with 30 or 60 per page), most people seem to love the pre and post shows and what was done there. I'm included.

So far, no one's really said anything about the actual ride portion itself other than it's darker.

Does this some it up?

While I'm glad that so much went into the pre/post shows, I wish a bit more would have gone to the actual ride portion.

I'll judge for myself next week.

Skyway

Disney hates APs because they LOSE money on them. Rather than buy a new park ticket everytime they come, or stay in a resort, they just waltz right on in. Sure they'll buy food and souvineers, but they still don't bring in as much money as non-APs do.

I used to think that way, but the new AP deal to add three extra months has made me change my mind. Why would Disney offer an incentive to buy an AP if they "hate" us?

Also, most DVC members are also AP holders. And I would say spending tens of thousands of dollars makes them more valuable than any non-AP. (As someone else posted, DVC members have the potential to become the East Coast version of the influential West Coast AP'er.)

Another unmentioned reason about why DL's SM got a more extensive makeover is the fact they cannot and do not add new attractions like WDW has recently (this latest dead period aside).

While WDW was getting Mission:Space, Everest, and other brand new attractions, DL had to use a different strategy--- make the old rides new and different.

You could argue that WDW should be using this same strategy. A big SM refurb can be advertised as "new" without spending the money for "new".

But WDW has chosen to spend its "new" money on truly "new" attractions like the FL Expansion (And, it is important to point out, DL is now finally doing the same, spending money on its first new attractions - like Carsland and Mermaid- rather than more rehabs)

If DL had the space (and more importantly, the added revenue that WDW can generate), I'm sure they would have preferred to build a brand new roller coaster in 2005 instead of re-designing an old one.

Of course, the DL SM was a different beast because their track was unsafe, damaged, and had to be replaced.

As I've said many times before, if you bought a strong, well-built, structurally-sound house with 70's carpet, would you spend a fortune tearing down the entire home and rebuilding it from scratch, even though there was nothing wrong with it other than being outdated? No. You'd rip out the carpet and repaint the walls. It was obviously not necessary to rip out WDW's (not one but TWO) coaster tracks, and rebuild them from scratch. How is that fiscally responsible? You wouldn't do it in your own home, so why should they?

imagineer boy

It shouldn't be about a competition of SM's....wouldn't it be kinda boring if they were clones of each other? What it should be about is appreciating each one as they are....unique to each park. Now WDW has one that has been dusted off and made fresh again. :cool:

Wrong. If WDW's SM had gotten a rehab on the scale of DL's, then it would blow DL's out of the water. Which is REALLY saying somthing. They certainly wouldn't be clones of each other.

jt04

After 9 pages of posts (for me with 30 or 60 per page), most people seem to love the pre and post shows and what was done there. I'm included.

So far, no one's really said anything about the actual ride portion itself other than it's darker.

Does this some it up?

While I'm glad that so much went into the pre/post shows, I wish a bit more would have gone to the actual ride portion.

I'll judge for myself next week.

I think the problem is almost none of our "sources" have actually ridden the ride. And those that have are keeping it to themselves. So, personally I can't wait for the final chapter of this mini saga. A lot of people on this forum are out on a lot of limbs concerning this refurb. Enough said.

Horizons1

I used to think that way, but the new AP deal to add three extra months has made me change my mind. Why would Disney offer an incentive to buy an AP if they "hate" us?

Also, most DVC members are also AP holders. And I would say spending tens of thousands of dollars makes them more valuable than any non-AP. (As someone else posted, DVC members have the potential to become the East Coast version of the influential West Coast AP'er.)

But WDW has chosen to spend its "new" money on truly "new" attractions like the FL Expansion (And, it is important to point out, DL is now finally doing the same, spending money on its first new attractions - like Carsland and Mermaid- rather than more rehabs)

I have no answer for that because I don't know. I'm baffled as to why they would, possibly just to compete with Universal who has a similar deal.

Since I'm not a member of DVC I'm not sure how it works. Is it available ONLY to APs?

Would you really call the upcoming expansion of FL a real expansion? It's mostly meet and greets, and then a clone of the Mermaid ride from DCA with a different exterior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom