Space Mountain Heading to the Scrap Heap :)

disneykw

This is off subject but here's a cool video about the recent tomorrowland refurbs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRqT1D1ap10&feature=related

Very interesting. I've never seen construction video of the 1995 Tomorrowland redo before. Very extensive. I gotta say I actually like the theming of the MK Tomorrowland. Better than some of the other Tommorrowlands. It's beautiful at night with all the lights and everything, it really feels separate from all the other lands. As for the rides and content in Tomorrowland, that's something else.:(

OT: I just re-watched Rescuers Down Under again. Coupled with the Bruce Broughton score and the beautiful cinematography, such a great movie. I wish they would fold some of the locales in the movie into Animal Kingdom, if they ever build that long-rumored Australia area. Okay, OT over.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Add a dozen more right turns and you got it. A few too many than my neck could handle. Cool as the effects are in the DL version, I personally like the layout of WDW's better. More surprises with the drops and the tighter turns. Add the DL effects and it will be perfection.
I guess ill make it a point to justify the trip to see Indy, MH and original PotC. Obviously, Id ride SM a few times, but wouldnt be the main reason for the trip

Very interesting. I've never seen construction video of the 1995 Tomorrowland redo before. Very extensive. I gotta say I actually like the theming of the MK Tomorrowland. Better than some of the other Tommorrowlands. It's beautiful at night with all the lights and everything, it really feels separate from all the other lands. As for the rides and content in Tomorrowland, that's something else.:(.
couldnt agree more. Love the lights and theming

marsrunner

Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I was like, "Goodbye" and you were like "NOOO WAAAY" and I was all "we pretended we were going to murder you" That was great...

disneykw

Even though it seems like a lot of people are criticizing the DL SM layout for having mostly right turns, it's still a lot of fun. Towards the end, with all the tight turns, you feel like you're going really fast and out of control before slamming through the Re-entry Tunnel. Now granted, I rode the TDL SM and haven't ridden the new DL SM yet but they're the same layout.:) Of course, I love WDW's version too for having the drops. Heck, I love them both.

I guess ill make it a point to justify the trip to see Indy, MH and original PotC. Obviously, Id ride SM a few times, but wouldnt be the main reason for the trip

Yeah, Indy is awesome (of course in this case referring to Crystal Skull). Even though their POTC isn't original anymore with the Jack Sparrow makeover, it's the closest you're gonna get and I understand what you mean. But what does MH mean? Granted it's sort of late in the night for me but I usually try to stay on top of the acronyms. To me MH=Mediterranean Harbor :lol: but since you're referring to DL. I guess I'm gonna have to scan through my giant DL park map above my bed. lol

EDIT: Unless you mean "HM". lol

Pete C

Regarding the layouts, even though DLs is mostly right turns, it is extremely thrilling. It also has one nice drop in there in the middle. If I could have the exact ride DL has vs WDWs current version, or what it looks like we are going to get, I'd take DLs. They would really need to improve WDWs ride quality for it to match DLs. If they did, WDWs layout gets the slight edge, but I just don't think that ours is going to get a big improvement judging from the posts around here.

marsrunner

WDW has the better layout, definitely, but unless the ride experience (smoothness + audio, don't really care if its single or two-across seating) is equal to DL, DL wins for me, hands down. There is a nice drop in the middle of DL Space Mountain...I don't know how it compares to WDWs, the WDW one might feel bigger because the ride is so rough.
I don't really understand all the complaining about DLs layout...yes it is basically going down in a circle, but so are many coasters.

The Conundrum

This is off subject but here's a cool video about the recent tomorrowland refurbs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRqT1D1ap10&feature=related

Please tell me they didn't destroy that nice 1970s garden sitting area with that dumb stitch thing :mad:

Also notice how Stitch, Buzz, and Monsters inc. signage and fastpass clash with the 1994 Tomorrowland. Seems like the parks went right to hell after Sotto and alot of the good imagineers left around 1998/99.

disneykw

Regarding the WDW SM refurb, I'd be happy if it's anywhere close to what they recently did at TDL. They completed their refurb in only 6 months which is practically the same time that WDW's will be down for. (Granted we have track replacement, I talk about that later in the post.) In that time, TDL managed to upgrade their version to a ride that belongs in the 21st century.

Before the refurb, their version looked just like DL's pre-refurb, and we all know how dated that was.

For example, the station area:

Pre-Refurb

Photo courtesy of Robb Alvey / Theme Park Review

Post-Refurb

Photo courtesy of Ken.jp on Flickr

I got to ride it recently and the station area atmosphere is pretty amazing. They went with the whole sci-fi mysterious theme and it works pretty well.

As for the rest of the ride, they got updated theming in the queue. Not a complete update, but works for its purpose. The lift hill is my favorite. When you're going up, you're surround by green lightning on both sides probably using the latest WDI designed special effects and you really get the feeling that you're blasted off into space using some mysterious alien technology. They don't have the DL soundtrack but use some neat spooky sci-fi sound fx. And then of course, at the end they have the new DL re-entry effect.

Granted, I wouldn't want a copy of this at WDW since our mountain is very unique in regards to the queue and ride, and plus this would require a storyline-redo, meaning none of the classic aspects of the ride would remain. Just pointing out though that a lot can be done in the current timeframe. Only thing is, since WDW is replacing track, a major endeavour in itself, they'll have to have another crew working at the same time redoing the queue and ride effects to get it all done.

And then of course if they threw in the TDL external lighting package, I'd be a happy man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgIVK4A3cPc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCWQG4MqckQ
(You may need to push the "HD" button if the video refuses to play)

Their SM is lighting is synchronized to the Tomorrowland BGM, which coincidentally is exactly the same (with the addition of more music) as our BGM. No work needed there, WDI! Just install the lights and the programming from TDL (with some minor edits) and you'll be good to go!

New TDL SM Queue Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1zLul-Goo8

Tubes

I don't mind DL's mountain. It's fun in it's own right and considering the engineering obstacles they had to overcome, it's damn near brilliant. It's not like DL's missing out on Bobsled mouse thrills either, with Matterhorn only a short walk away.

If you forced me, I'd take WDW's coaster and DL's theming. Even before the 2005 rehab, DL's theming blew WDW's out of the water.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Yeah, Indy is awesome (of course in this case referring to Crystal Skull). Even though their POTC isn't original anymore with the Jack Sparrow makeover, it's the closest you're gonna get and I understand what you mean. But what does MH mean? Granted it's sort of late in the night for me but I usually try to stay on top of the acronyms. To me MH=Mediterranean Harbor :lol: but since you're referring to DL. I guess I'm gonna have to scan through my giant DL park map above my bed. lol

EDIT: Unless you mean "HM". lol
Sorry... i meant Matterhorn. I forgot to list HM. :wave:

sweetpee_1993

I haven't read thru most of this thread (let's face it, it's 96% bantering between friends/members) but I was just thinking that even tho the chances are absolutely nil considering RCA is no longer the sponsor how cool it would be to see Nipper back in the que area. In January when my brother joined us on our trip he had me giggling pointing to where Nipper used to be and asked if I remembered. Of course I do! Soooo, if WDI is out there taking comments from the peanut gallery...Think Nipper! LOL!

jmuboy

The TDL station looks great post rehab! Never seen those pictures before. It's no longer a clone of the DL station either. So that's nice.

raven

Please tell me they didn't destroy that nice 1970s garden sitting area with that dumb stitch thing :mad:

Also notice how Stitch, Buzz, and Monsters inc. signage and fastpass clash with the 1994 Tomorrowland. Seems like the parks went right to hell after Sotto and alot of the good imagineers left around 1998/99.

Wow. You've bring a lot negativity to these boards. A lot of your posts here and on other threads are complaining about how you want people to stop visiting the parks, how you want attractions to collaps or complain about Disney creativity or operations. Your posts make me believe you might be a Universal Studios employee. :ROFLOL:

GothMickey

Wow. You've bring a lot negativity to these boards. A lot of your posts here and on other threads are complaining about how you want people to stop visiting the parks, how you want attractions to collaps or complain about Disney creativity or operations. Your posts make me believe you might be a Universal Studios employee. :ROFLOL:

It is an ENIGMA, isn't it??? :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom