Space Mountain Heading to the Scrap Heap :)

EPCOT Explorer

Regarding the WDW SM refurb, I'd be happy if it's anywhere close to what they recently did at TDL. They completed their refurb in only 6 months which is practically the same time that WDW's will be down for. (Granted we have track replacement, I talk about that later in the post.) In that time, TDL managed to upgrade their version to a ride that belongs in the 21st century.

Before the refurb, their version looked just like DL's pre-refurb, and we all know how dated that was.

For example, the station area:

Pre-Refurb

Photo courtesy of Robb Alvey / Theme Park Review

Post-Refurb

Photo courtesy of Ken.jp on Flickr

I got to ride it recently and the station area atmosphere is pretty amazing. They went with the whole sci-fi mysterious theme and it works pretty well.

As for the rest of the ride, they got updated theming in the queue. Not a complete update, but works for its purpose. The lift hill is my favorite. When you're going up, you're surround by green lightning on both sides probably using the latest WDI designed special effects and you really get the feeling that you're blasted off into space using some mysterious alien technology. They don't have the DL soundtrack but use some neat spooky sci-fi sound fx. And then of course, at the end they have the new DL re-entry effect.

Granted, I wouldn't want a copy of this at WDW since our mountain is very unique in regards to the queue and ride, and plus this would require a storyline-redo, meaning none of the classic aspects of the ride would remain. Just pointing out though that a lot can be done in the current timeframe. Only thing is, since WDW is replacing track, a major endeavour in itself, they'll have to have another crew working at the same time redoing the queue and ride effects to get it all done.

And then of course if they threw in the TDL external lighting package, I'd be a happy man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgIVK4A3cPc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCWQG4MqckQ
(You may need to push the "HD" button if the video refuses to play)

Their SM is lighting is synchronized to the Tomorrowland BGM, which coincidentally is exactly the same (with the addition of more music) as our BGM. No work needed there, WDI! Just install the lights and the programming from TDL (with some minor edits) and you'll be good to go!

New TDL SM Queue Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1zLul-Goo8
MY GOODNESS!:eek::sohappy::sohappy:

That lighting package is amazing! Install that in WDW, and you have one VERY happy Fanboy!

magicmaya

MY GOODNESS!:eek::sohappy::sohappy:

That lighting package is amazing! Install that in WDW, and you have one VERY happy Fanboy!

It will be a little harder because WDW's space mountain's ridges are close together

See the difference
Space_Mountain_night.JPG

DL's

space-mountain.jpg

That other one:D

disneykw

lol. Huge picture!:lol: I can't even see the whole thing in fullscreen on my big widescreen monitor. Talking about monitors, I think I made a custom wallpaper for my comp using that pic, which turned out pretty awesome.

And yeah, I know the ridges are closer together in WDW, but I still feel it's very necessary.

disneykw

Didn't Disney do special lighting on SM for MNSSHP where the colors bounced and chased?

Yes, they did. I saw it once in person from the Wonderland Trail it was awesome. They haven't had that in MHSSHP since a couple years back. Such a shame. You could probably find vids on Youtube. And that adds again to my argument. Not only do they have the light programming to have it synched to the BGM, but they've ALREADY DONE IT BEFORE! It's gotta be a lighting cost thing. I think the lights they used in the party are older theatrical type lighting. If they upgrade to LEDs, they can definitely cut the running costs.

And about the Mickey's Fun Wheel lights, I saw those earlier, it looks great! The video I saw earlier had a very repetitive lighting pattern, but seeing the new video, the lighting is different, so I really like the new lights.

I'd bet such a feature on SM would sell enough DVC's at the BLT to pay for itself right there. Seems like a no brainer.

Good point!

EDIT: Oh, and maybe someone can rename this topic, as it seems like it's starting to be the official SM refurb discussion thread? Although the original topic might still apply, none of us has seen any dumpsters or any backstage activity yet anyways.

EPCOT Explorer

Yes, they did. I saw it once in person from the Wonderland Trail it was awesome. They haven't had that in MHSSHP since a couple years back. Such a shame. You could probably find vids on Youtube. And that adds again to my argument. Not only do they have the light programming to have it synched to the BGM, but they've ALREADY DONE IT BEFORE! It's gotta be a lighting cost thing. I think the lights they used in the party are older theatrical type lighting. If they upgrade to LEDs, they can definitely cut the running costs.

And about the Mickey's Fun Wheel lights, I saw those earlier, it looks great! The video I saw earlier had a very repetitive lighting pattern, but seeing the new video, the lighting is different, so I really like the new lights.

Good point!

EDIT: Oh, and maybe someone can rename this topic, as it seems like it's starting to be the official SM refurb discussion thread? Although the original topic might still apply, none of us has seen any dumpsters or any backstage activity yet anyways.
Searching for vids as we speak...:D

disneykw

Searching for vids as we speak...:D
Sorry if I mislead ya again EPCOT Explorer, first on TDR vids on Youtube and now this. I've seen these videos on there, I swear!:D But as you know Youtube, is always constantly changing and videos are always getting pulled off. I'll let you know if I find one on there.

-Okay, I admit it, it was a conspiracy all along!:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom