Soda price increase

WDW1974

I think all he was asking for was some data on the "large segement of people" that were angered by the price of food at Disney. If we had that data and data compared to several years ago, we could see if it is a significant issue or not. Blindly claiming "alot of people are mad" is not an argument. I'm not taking a side (I could care less), I'm just hopefully clarifying the direction of the discussion. Apologies in advance to mcjaco if I spoke out of turn.

it sounds like you're taking a side ... I think asking me for data to back up an assertion based upon anecdotal observations and speaking to people is kinda ... well, impossible.

Disney doesn't have the data itself. Other than any registered complaint ... and most people don't complain (at WDW or anywhere) they just don't return.

I'm not making an argument. I'm stating a fact. Many people are mad about the costs of food at WDW. Do you want to start dissecting the word 'many' now?

You are side stepping his valid point. You are judging the parks and labeling them based on no first hand experience. I don't think (even though I can see how) he was saying that they are at the same level of Disney. He was just commenting on your premptive judgement of something you haven't experienced.

To say you are not interested in something is fine. To label it negatively without experiencing it is somewhat arogant.

Again mcjaco, apologies if this is not what you meant.

Well, I guess I am a somewhat arrogant spirit. I'll live with that.

I understand and agree with his/your point ... but only to a point. Sure it's better to experience things. But a rational, intelligent being with information and knowledge etc ... can make a choice about whether they think they'd like something. Sometimes you're wrong. But even if I went to Magic Mountain tomorrow and had a great time, my opinion of the chain and where it stands in the ratings would put it at the WalMart end of the spectrum ... but plenty of folks love WalMart too ... so maybe I'm just a Nordstrom snob?

I'll stick with BEC, Disney and UNI until SF gives me a compelling reason to visit. New mega coasters don't do it for me.

~Moi? Arrogant?!?!~

WDW1974

I am not sure where you are getting $23.00 for a burger from. I checked the price and it was $15.95. A little high but about what you would pay for a burger in a nice restaurant in a major city.

I am getting $23 from an experience I had at WDW in Sept. 2007 because that was the price.

Just before the 'free' dining period began Chefs de France (which NEVER had a burger on the menu prior) dropped the filet (which was then priced around $25) and added a $23 hamburger.

That's what the DDP does to the quality and price points and choices at WDW locations.

~DDP: Satan's Plan~

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I am getting $23 from an experience I had at WDW in Sept. 2007 because that was the price.

Just before the 'free' dining period began Chefs de France (which NEVER had a burger on the menu prior) dropped the filet (which was then priced around $25) and added a $23 hamburger.

That's what the DDP does to the quality and price points and choices at WDW locations.

Yes, sadly the DDP has been the death knoll for dining quality at WDW.

WDW1974

No apologies needed. You were right on. I see no data to support the argument, and I certainly didn't see "angry" people in the eating establishments when I was there. Data, data, data.

Ugh ... why do I bother?

Oh yeah, OCD.

So because you didn't see/hear/witness (or even be tuned in) to anyone unhappy with Disney diners therefore my experiences are less valid? Or aren't true?

Sorry. But you're smart. You know somethings come down to what you see.
Again, no apology needed. Hammer meet nail.

I would never put Six Flags or Cedar Fair into the same category as Disney or Universal. That'd be one way to lose all credibility. But at least I've set foot into those chains, and have something to compare them with. I still rank Six Flags over Cedar Fair, as they at least try to theme their parks to a certain degree. But it's on the cheap. Then again, most people go to those parks for high octane thrill rides, not themeing.

Great. But do you think I don't have knowledge of those parks and the industry? Do you think I've never seen pics and video of them? Do you think I've never read about them, talked to anyone who ever visited or worked there?

You don't have to stick your hand under a faucet and burn it when steam is coming out from it to know the water is hot.

And again, you're just saying what I am saying above about SF and CF ... you just don't like that I've compared them to WalMart.

As for the gang issue, bring up something more current. Great America had that issue years ago, but not anymore. It shows how out of touch you are with those parks. Besides, didn't PI have gang issues?

MM has had significant problems with gangs in recent years. GA I am not aware of when they had their issues.

And PI was mostly BS and all after Disney had decided to close the place and decided to remove all gates and let anyone just hang out there. They brought that problem (and it wasn't major by any stretch) on themselves.

~Wanna join my gang: DizneyBoyz?~

yankspy

So they dropped it seven bucks in a year? I am not doubting it, it just seems odd.

WDW1974

:sohappy: I agree with your statement. I honestly wonder if the average park guest notices the things that those that frequent the park might. I alos wonder if WDW1974 has a sponsorhip deal with Wal-Mart.

The 'average' guests notices far more than most fanbois want to give them credit for.

Since they don't post as nauseum on fan sites or post trip reports/reviews they are simply assumed to be satisfied customers. That isn't the case ... but since it can't be quantified, those folks are not factored into anything other than the revenue/profit they bring in on any single visit. If they never return, Disney isn't concerned because there's another newbie out there.

And funny comment about WalMart ... you're a real comedian ... our own Rush Limbaugh here!

~Just Call Me Joe The Plumber~

Uncle Lupe

I haven't been in 15 years so according to the "fanboys" the food quality has gone down hill since my last visit. However I can't remember what the food was like so I won't complain.

jakeman

it sounds like you're taking a side ... I think asking me for data to back up an assertion based upon anecdotal observations and speaking to people is kinda ... well, impossible.

Disney doesn't have the data itself. Other than any registered complaint ... and most people don't complain (at WDW or anywhere) they just don't return.

I'm not making an argument. I'm stating a fact. Many people are mad about the costs of food at WDW. Do you want to start dissecting the word 'many' now?
Not really, you've proven my point that it is an unquantifiable position on either side. So it is really a moot thing to discuss. The soda prices are high. If there is a drop off in the average number of sodas purchased then we will know they are too high. Until we have that data, no sense in make decleration in either direction.

I understand and agree with his/your point ... but only to a point. Sure it's better to experience things. But a rational, intelligent being with information and knowledge etc ... can make a choice about whether they think they'd like something. Sometimes you're wrong. But even if I went to Magic Mountain tomorrow and had a great time, my opinion of the chain and where it stands in the ratings would put it at the WalMart end of the spectrum ... but plenty of folks love WalMart too ... so maybe I'm just a Nordstrom snob?

I'll stick with BEC, Disney and UNI until SF gives me a compelling reason to visit. New mega coasters don't do it for me.

~Moi? Arrogant?!?!~
Deciding whether you like something or not is fine. Talking it down when you haven't experienced is not.

I don't like tomato. I'm not going to say that all food that has tomato is bad and others shouldn't eat it because I don't like them.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I haven't been in 15 years so according to the "fanboys" the food quality has gone down hill since my last visit. However I can't remember what the food was like so I won't complain.

Well done, you have won todays award for the most pointless contribution. :shrug: Unless I am missing something in your rapier like wit.

PhilharMagician

quote]

I'm may not be mad, but extremly upset at what has been slowly happening to WDW food service. I have also heard people stand and complain to themselves and family members outside of restaurants just looking at the menus. I have heard people complain at tables next to me when they get the bill for dinner and wonder why a meal that is not at the even at same level as a chain TS restaurant and is substantially more. The poeple that I have heard complain are people that have paid for their meals.

Free dinding customers seem to be very happy. Any of us would typically happy if we get a free meal. Even if the meal is lousy and the service is bad it is still free and we feel that there is nothing to complain about since it is free.

I do let guest services know when I am unhappy with something, and even more important I let them know when I am happy or a CM has been magical.

The 'average' guests notices far more than most fanbois want to give them credit for.

Since they don't post as nauseum on fan sites or post trip reports/reviews they are simply assumed to be satisfied customers. That isn't the case ... but since it can't be quantified, those folks are not factored into anything other than the revenue/profit they bring in on any single visit. If they never return, Disney isn't concerned because there's another newbie out there.

Absolutely!!

I know it has been a couple of years since my first trip to WDW. Prior to the fanboy years. Like 16 years. I was in my mid 20's going to WDW for the first time with my wife for a 8 night trip. With out the internet you really have no idea of what to expect at WDW for the first time. So we get there on a Mears bus and get dropped off to this magical island in central florida with no way off till that bus comes in 9 days to pick us up again. I can tell you this. We had a wonderful time experiencing all the WDW offered, but the cost of food even back then was shocking. The cost of food was the only thing that detered me from going back for a few years. Thankfully we have the internet to better research today, but understanding my experience I will say that many newcomers see very well some of the price gouging that goes on.

From a business standpoint I applaud them for being able to increase margins, but I think this may in the future become a PR issue. Free dining needs to stop or at least be limited to lower end restaurants. I really enjoy going on vacation and eating high quality food since we just don't eat out at home.

fireworkz

The way I look at it - can't really complain on drinks when they will let you in for $3 a day if adding days to a seven day pass. They have to make that money back somehow.

DisneyMusician2

I know I'm going to incur the wrath of many, but here goes...

Disney is priced comparably, even a better value, than many 7-day vacations to resort destinations. Traveling on a cruise or similar resort could easily run you the same amount of money and not include any activity other than the beach.

I know the pricing, and taken all different kinds trips, and still consider Disney when I am looking for a vacation. Has the price gone up a lot over the years? Yes it has. But I don't know if you could argue it has gone up more than many other resort destinations did during the time of extreme economic prosperity.

If you want to talk about price gouging, talk about DCL. They really are very overpriced for the services they offer as compared to other lines of the same quality.

Or how about a few other cruise lines which have started charging $2.50 per glass of orange juice on a trip which supposedly includes unlimited food and drink.

Just an opinion. I don't find many of the prices to be that outrageous. If you are concerned about the prices, stay off-property as I have done before when need required. But if you stay on the resort, expect to pay comparable resort prices.

WishIwasThere

I believe Steven reported the water as well, right?

$2.50 for Dasani (filtered tap water).:brick:
Which is why we bring our Nalgene bottles and Crystal Light flavor packs. Orlando tap water.:hurl: Flavor packs make it :slurp:

At our local amusement park, they have a deal with Pepsi where the soda stations are free.

Next there will be a charge to go into the Club Cool and there is no way I will pay money for a tast of Beverly.

mcjaco

Ugh ... why do I bother?

Oh yeah, OCD.

So because you didn't see/hear/witness (or even be tuned in) to anyone unhappy with Disney diners therefore my experiences are less valid? Or aren't true?

Sorry. But you're smart. You know somethings come down to what you see.

And like you say, you don't have any data to back up your argument. So it's all a dumb argument to even bring up.

Great. But do you think I don't have knowledge of those parks and the industry? Do you think I've never seen pics and video of them? Do you think I've never read about them, talked to anyone who ever visited or worked there?

You don't have to stick your hand under a faucet and burn it when steam is coming out from it to know the water is hot.

And again, you're just saying what I am saying above about SF and CF ... you just don't like that I've compared them to WalMart.

I used to think like that about Indiana Beach. It looked cheap and dull. Then I went. I love that park. It's an experience unlike anything else in the midwest. So don't knock something until you try it.

~Wanna join my gang: DizneyBoyz?~

Do we only hang out in Walmart parking lots?

I don't like tomato. I'm not going to say that all food that has tomato is bad and others shouldn't eat it because I don't like them.

Are you secretly masquerading as my wife? I can't get her to eat anything with tomato either? :lol:

The way I look at it - can't really complain on drinks when they will let you in for $3 a day if adding days to a seven day pass. They have to make that money back somehow.

B I N G O

Uncle Lupe

Well done, you have won todays award for the most pointless contribution. :shrug: Unless I am missing something in your rapier like wit.

Just one more pointless post for people to read while they are at work to add to the lost productivity . :drevil:

If your going to complain about food a soda prices just take a backpack full of Energy bars and drink water the entire trip. Maybe a Snickers or two. I don't know how you would feel after a 7 day diet of nothing else but it's an idea.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Actually, you are allowed to leave Disneys grip and eat off site. :eek: The usual rose tinted bollocks from the Disney can do no wrong crew. As predictable as an august thunderstorm.

Each year since the dining plan has started, the choice of food and the quality of offerings across the entire WDW complex has deteriorated. Now I have no empirical evidence of this beyond 30 odd years in dining in establishments of various grades, and as far as I am aware I dont have to have qualified as a chef to recognise good food, but I do know mediocre over priced chain fayre when its dished up.

The price of coke whilst slightly different is just another drip through of this pattern of less for more, will I loose sleep over it not really because coke is pish and i prefer Pepsi anyway. But I do suspect many of those who are contemptuous of those complaining of price rises, still have mum and dad paying their bills.

As for the ticket prices, Disney is doing the balancing act of at what point do guests cut and run elsewhere, and using staged prices as the mechanics. For me this year it means Im still at Disney less than I was but not as big a reduction as it could have been, because the cost between a 10 day and 14 day ticket is such that its not worth bothering about, its about 4 over priced cokes. I would guess that a wee gadgy with a spread sheet will have produced a chart that shows my expected spend in the park will offset the gate fee reduction. Well na na na nanana, sukker, Ill take the cheap ticket, drink your free metallised water and eat down the road, oh and tuff your Walmart merchandise too.

Sticking it to the man, or some such nonsense.

reenijami-xe

I've always thought the drink prices were high. If you really want to save money, most counter service locations will give you *FREE* cups of ice water (in many locations this water is even filtered!) or a cup with ice.

hrcollectibles

And funny comment about WalMart ... you're a real comedian ... our own Rush Limbaugh here!

Dude lighten up.. It just seems you bring up Wal-Marting in a lot of your posts. And last time I checked Rush was a conservative radio host not a Comedian. And I claim to be neither

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom