Soda price increase

SteveV

Hot Tea @ Writer's Stop IN DHS

We've always been bemused by varying food and drink prices throughout WDW. This is illustrated very well at DHS where for 69 cents including tax you can get a Hot Tea (great for us Brits!) at the Writer's Stop Cafe, whilst elsewhere they are $1.50 + tax and more... Shop around!

WDW1974

So they dropped it seven bucks in a year? I am not doubting it, it just seems odd.

If that's the current price then yes ...

I know they took a lot of heat when it first hit the web (courtesy of yours truly on anotherdisneyplace.com) as apparently getting 'free' food isn't as big a deal when they replace a high quality filet with a burger (with filler as well) on the menu at what is supposed to be a high end authentic French restaurant.

~You mean $23 hamburgers aren't what they serve in Paris?~

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
it sounds like you're taking a side ... I think asking me for data to back up an assertion based upon anecdotal observations and speaking to people is kinda ... well, impossible.

Disney doesn't have the data itself. Other than any registered complaint ... and most people don't complain (at WDW or anywhere) they just don't return.

I'm not making an argument. I'm stating a fact. Many people are mad about the costs of food at WDW. Do you want to start dissecting the word 'many' now?

Not really, you've proven my point that it is an unquantifiable position on either side. So it is really a moot thing to discuss. The soda prices are high. If there is a drop off in the average number of sodas purchased then we will know they are too high. Until we have that data, no sense in make decleration in either direction.

Whether something is quantifiable or not doesn't dictate whether it can be discussed or debated.

And please don't misunderstand, I have no opinion whatsoever on soda prices at WDW.

My points have all been about WDW Dining and the DDP. Another 25 cents won't make a difference on whether I buy a Coke. But when I used to get a fine French dinner at Chef de France for two people with drinks and dessert for under $60, I won't pay over $100 for less choice/lower quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
I understand and agree with his/your point ... but only to a point. Sure it's better to experience things. But a rational, intelligent being with information and knowledge etc ... can make a choice about whether they think they'd like something. Sometimes you're wrong. But even if I went to Magic Mountain tomorrow and had a great time, my opinion of the chain and where it stands in the ratings would put it at the WalMart end of the spectrum ... but plenty of folks love WalMart too ... so maybe I'm just a Nordstrom snob?

I'll stick with BEC, Disney and UNI until SF gives me a compelling reason to visit. New mega coasters don't do it for me.

~Moi? Arrogant?!?!~

Deciding whether you like something or not is fine. Talking it down when you haven't experienced is not.

I don't like tomato. I'm not going to say that all food that has tomato is bad and others shouldn't eat it because I don't like them.

Sorry, but I disagree. Rational, intelligent adults can formulate opinions without experiencing things. I didn't need the last eight years, for example, to tell me my gut was right about where this country was headed. You look at facts ... you read ... you observe ... you research ... you talk to others.

And again, I never said Six Flags were bad parks, just that they're viewed in the industry as the WalMart of the business. That's not simply my opinion.

And tomatos are wonderful ... healthy too ... help prevent cancer.

~Mmm ... salad!~

WDW1974

I'm may not be mad, but extremly upset at what has been slowly happening to WDW food service. I have also heard people stand and complain to themselves and family members outside of restaurants just looking at the menus. I have heard people complain at tables next to me when they get the bill for dinner and wonder why a meal that is not at the even at same level as a chain TS restaurant and is substantially more. The poeple that I have heard complain are people that have paid for their meals.

I have heard it as well. Maybe it's because I have a trained ear, having done much consulting work in the past. Maybe it's just because I am more observant. Maybe it's because I have been to WDW so many times I am not so high on pixie dust and happy to be there that I don't notice what is right under my nose.

I'm not really sure. But I don't go up to folks waiting to eat at a WDW locale and say 'What do you think of the price, quality and value here?' or 'Aren't you pi$$ed off by what the DDP has done?'

I have no idea how many folks are unhappy. But it has to be a significant number if you simply extrapolate based on what you see/hear.

Free dinding customers seem to be very happy. Any of us would typically happy if we get a free meal. Even if the meal is lousy and the service is bad it is still free and we feel that there is nothing to complain about since it is free.

Agreed. I'll even go a step further and say that most people who pay for the DDP are happy with it ... again, no data just anecdotal.

But part of that stems from the fact that price points have been raised to such a degree, at the same time DDP has been foisted on the public, that people think they're getting a deal. When you factor it vs. 'menu' price today, they may be. When you compare with price points before DDP existed they're being taken.

I know it has been a couple of years since my first trip to WDW. Prior to the fanboy years. Like 16 years. I was in my mid 20's going to WDW for the first time with my wife for a 8 night trip. With out the internet you really have no idea of what to expect at WDW for the first time. So we get there on a Mears bus and get dropped off to this magical island in central florida with no way off till that bus comes in 9 days to pick us up again. I can tell you this. We had a wonderful time experiencing all the WDW offered, but the cost of food even back then was shocking. The cost of food was the only thing that detered me from going back for a few years. Thankfully we have the internet to better research today, but understanding my experience I will say that many newcomers see very well some of the price gouging that goes on.

From a business standpoint I applaud them for being able to increase margins, but I think this may in the future become a PR issue. Free dining needs to stop or at least be limited to lower end restaurants. I really enjoy going on vacation and eating high quality food since we just don't eat out at home.

Oh, it already has been a PR issue to some extent. There has been some tinkering with menus to try and offer 1-2 items that are not totally absurdly priced ... like you can get the Cobb Salad at Brown Derby for $15.99 now (which is only about $3 more than it was 15 years ago), while the Curry Noodle Bowl has jumped from $14 to $22 in less than two years. Yankspy has noted the $23 burger at Chefs de France is down to $15.99 as well.

But overall, the trend is simply onward and upward ... and during a depression that's very bad business ... or maybe it isn't since they're filling all their tables in advance at most of the popular locations ... but they've lost me as a regular diner.

I had two whole table serve meals there in five days last month, and one was at a non-Disney owned and operated location at DD.

I used to have at least one a day, usually two.

~$10 for a hot dog, fries and a Coke?!??!~

WDW1974

Dude lighten up.. It just seems you bring up Wal-Marting in a lot of your posts. And last time I checked Rush was a conservative radio host not a Comedian. And I claim to be neither

Dude, I'm like not a sea turtle.

And I don't need to lighten up.

I bring up WalMarting because that is what Disney is doing to thr product they provide. Making it common, homogenized and cheap.

And Rush is the de facto head of one political party these days, although I do find him to be funny if in a scary way.

~Shell. Noggin. Duuuuude.~

DoctorPrius

dude, i'm like not a sea turtle.

And i don't need to lighten up.

I bring up walmarting because that is what disney is doing to thr product they provide. Making it common, homogenized and cheap.

And rush is the de facto head of one political party these days, although i do find him to be funny if in a scary way.

~shell. Noggin. Duuuuude.~

:roflol:

I'm really annoyed Walmart is gaining market share to target. Why do people think Walmart gives you some outrageous bargains on things they charge the exact same as anywhere else.

jt04

I bring up WalMarting because that is what Disney is doing to thr product they provide. Making it common, homogenized and cheap.

And Rush is the de facto head of one political party these days

I am proud of way you are learn your talking points comrade. I am sure it's placed and to be included in your dossier.

Kommissar

~Pass Pinko Dust Palease~

jakeman

Whether something is quantifiable or not doesn't dictate whether it can be discussed or debated.
If it is not quantifiable, then the discussion is just people shouting over each other.

Sorry, but I disagree. Rational, intelligent adults can formulate opinions without experiencing things. I didn't need the last eight years, for example, to tell me my gut was right about where this country was headed. You look at facts ... you read ... you observe ... you research ... you talk to others.
You can have an opinion about anything, but your opinion can be better informed and have more credibility if you do have experience.

For example, regardless if I agree with your assessment of Six Flags, I would give more weight to someone with first hand experience.

I can read about fixing cars all I want, but I can't really tell you about it and have a discussion until I've tinkered with one myself.

hrcollectibles

Dude, I'm like not a sea turtle.

And I don't need to lighten up.

And Rush is the de facto head of one political party these days, although I do find him to be funny if in a scary way.

~Shell. Noggin. Duuuuude.~

So they are watering down their product in your opinion. Then why do you continually support them? And I do agree that Rush is Funny in a VERY scary way.

WDW1974

If it is not quantifiable, then the discussion is just people shouting over each other.

I'd like to believe that sharing viewpoints and discussing and debating things is more than simply shouting.

You can have an opinion about anything, but your opinion can be better informed and have more credibility if you do have experience.

Really? So if I hate violent movies I should go see Friday the 13th because trailers, reviews and research won't tell me what I need to know?

What about all those religious zealots who hate gay fanbois (or just gays in general)? Should they engage in homosexual acts before coming (no pun intended) to a conclusion?

If someone believes abortion is wrong always and forever, should they be forced to experience an unwanted pregnancy and the life that results before making that decision?

You can take it to a ridiculous level as my points above show ...

I don't disagree that experience is very good and helps add perspective. Hell, I'll often use that when fanbois, whose whole Disney world consists of WDW, tell me that what Disney does in Florida is so wonderful and amazing when they have never set foot in DL ... let alone TDL, DLP or HKDL.

But sometimes you don't have it. I have never set foot in a SF park, but that doesn't mean I can't discuss them and have very rational and fair criticisms.

For example, regardless if I agree with your assessment of Six Flags, I would give more weight to someone with first hand experience.

But again you've kinda missed the point. I don't have an opinion about whether SF are enjoyable, good or bad, worth the money or not. I just have an opinion of where they stack up in the theme park world. They are like a WalMart ... a basic thrill park/coaster park with some very bare bones theming tossed it.

I don't have to experience them to come to that conclusion.

Anymore than I have to go to Tokyo to say TDS is one of the most lavishly detailed theme park ever created, if not the most.

I can read about fixing cars all I want, but I can't really tell you about it and have a discussion until I've tinkered with one myself.

If you stopped buying American cars and went with Japan or Germany you wouldn't have to tinker at all.

~OLC: We OutDisney Disney!~

jakeman

I'd like to believe that sharing viewpoints and discussing and debating things is more than simply shouting.

Really? So if I hate violent movies I should go see Friday the 13th because trailers, reviews and research won't tell me what I need to know?

What about all those religious zealots who hate gay fanbois (or just gays in general)? Should they engage in homosexual acts before coming (no pun intended) to a conclusion?

If someone believes abortion is wrong always and forever, should they be forced to experience an unwanted pregnancy and the life that results before making that decision?

You can take it to a ridiculous level as my points above show ...

I don't disagree that experience is very good and helps add perspective. Hell, I'll often use that when fanbois, whose whole Disney world consists of WDW, tell me that what Disney does in Florida is so wonderful and amazing when they have never set foot in DL ... let alone TDL, DLP or HKDL.

But sometimes you don't have it. I have never set foot in a SF park, but that doesn't mean I can't discuss them and have very rational and fair criticisms.

But again you've kinda missed the point. I don't have an opinion about whether SF are enjoyable, good or bad, worth the money or not. I just have an opinion of where they stack up in the theme park world. They are like a WalMart ... a basic thrill park/coaster park with some very bare bones theming tossed it.

I don't have to experience them to come to that conclusion.

Anymore than I have to go to Tokyo to say TDS is one of the most lavishly detailed theme park ever created, if not the most.

If you stopped buying American cars and went with Japan or Germany you wouldn't have to tinker at all.

~OLC: We OutDisney Disney!~
I can't tell if you are deliberately being obtuse or if you really don't understand what I am trying to say.

You can have an opinion about anything. An opinion without experience has much less credibility than an opinion backed up with facts and experience. It's not a less valid opinion, just a less credible one.

For example, someone says, "Many people are angry about food prices based on the things I hear in line." Another person says, "Many people are angry about food prices because market survey's show that 76% of folks think soda prices are too high."

Which one is more credible?

When it comes down to it, I don't think either of us really care about the soda prices, so why are we still talking about it?:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom