Soda price increase

Just trying to remind people to stay healthy so they feel good on their vacations :)

people can be healthy and still drink sodas(which includes diet sodas too) more than water under those conditions and it wouldn't affect them.

when I'm on vacation it's diet iced teas or diet sodas..no ice
I still had plenty of energy throughout the parks....didn't get sick, or passout or drop dead from dehydration. didn't effect me one bit.

it's their vacation...people should enjoy it however they wish. "healthy" or "unhealthy" it's their choice

WDW1974

I'd rather have a few adult drinks at the Tambu Lounge and then hop on a monorail to the MK, myself.

The magic seems so much more real after that ...

Oh, and soda prices aren't crazy (a Disney large is pretty well ... large) ... but if you had to buy them for a family of six say twice a day in addition to meals ... it adds up!

The Mom

Premium Member
The ah-em, older, members of the site care to reminisce about price increases/decreases in times of economic turmoil?

During the last recession, and period of inflation, I was a newlywed. We went on our honeymoon in Nov 1976, which was the last vacation we could afford until 1980. We paid a large rent, but it was still cheaper than any mortgage available.

Our situation in 1982, when I took my first trip to WDW, was somewhat unusual. My husband had finished his training, so our income more than tripled. We also moved to FL, so were within driving distance.

We purchased our first home, and got what was a good deal for the times. Assumed a 10% FHA mortgage, and took out a second, 18% mortgage. (We were able to get such a good rate because we had excellent credit, put 20% down, and the price was only 2X our annual salary, vs the 3X standard. :rolleyes:)

We stayed offsite, for about $25-30/night. An annual pass was $150/year for FL residents, but could be renewed at that rate indefinitely. Damn, I wish we could have afforded it back then!

I don't remember specific prices, but know that I felt the food was overpriced. Nothing has changed. :lol:

Main Street USA

From what I understand, Disney and Coke have a pretty good trade-off with one another. Coke gets to be the "official" soda for Disney (free advertising), and Disney gets the free syrup.

It's only what I heard a while back. No first hand info.

Missing20K

During the last recession, and period of inflation, I was a newlywed. We went on our honeymoon in Nov 1976, which was the last vacation we could afford until 1980. We paid a large rent, but it was still cheaper than any mortgage available.

Our situation in 1982, when I took my first trip to WDW, was somewhat unusual. My husband had finished his training, so our income more than tripled. We also moved to FL, so were within driving distance.

We purchased our first home, and got what was a good deal for the times. Assumed a 10% FHA mortgage, and took out a second, 18% mortgage. (We were able to get such a good rate because we had excellent credit, put 20% down, and the price was only 2X our annual salary, vs the 3X standard. :rolleyes:)

We stayed offsite, for about $25-30/night. An annual pass was $150/year for FL residents, but could be renewed at that rate indefinitely. Damn, I wish we could have afforded it back then!

I don't remember specific prices, but know that I felt the food was overpriced. Nothing has changed. :lol:

Thanks "Mom" for the reply. I kind of figured it would be inflationary on par with most everything else. I suppose I wondered if there were times in the past that a price hike took place that either took people off-guard, or was such an increase that people took major notice. I suppose increasing the prices by a marginal percentage each year does the trick of rising prices without it being too noticeable.

Kamikaze

The last recession was 2001-2003.

jt04

Thanks "Mom" for the reply. I kind of figured it would be inflationary on par with most everything else. I suppose I wondered if there were times in the past that a price hike took place that either took people off-guard, or was such an increase that people took major notice. I suppose increasing the prices by a marginal percentage each year does the trick of rising prices without it being too noticeable.

Just to add my 2 cents, Disney has to be careful not to do sudden price increases so as not to scare off guests from visiting. Travel is a luxury not a necessity and people just won't go. So the only other real option for Disney (or any other travel business) is to cut back services and minor price increases during slow times. This is the exact reason all non-greenlighted stuff is on hold.

Of course "the mom" may have a different take on it and I don't presume to speak for her.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think she was refering to the last recession with inflation. An important point to remember.

Exactly. I believe the discussion was about prices, inflation, etc. I was just chiming in that people have been complaining about the prices at WDW for as long as I can remember.

WDW1974

Exactly. I believe the discussion was about prices, inflation, etc. I was just chiming in that people have been complaining about the prices at WDW for as long as I can remember.

Sure they have. Disney was always considered a premium product and was never priced 'cheaply' ... I think the difference today is that Disney engages in blatant price-gouging when it comes to the cost of food and beverage in order to push the cruise-lining of dining (aka the DDP).

You either commit to eating ALL of your meals at WDW and pay a large sum to do so upfront ... or you have dumbed down menus at absurd price points ($23 hamburgers at Chefs de France in place of a $25 filet when I did the 'free' plan in 2007) ... so Disney makes a bundle either way while the quality and variety continue to drop.

Not smart with an economy in a depression.

Then you have the resort pricing ... rooms are absurdly priced so while Disney 'loses' XXX number of dollars by vast discounting with offers like the Buy 4 Get 3 free deal, the reality is even then you are still paying higher rates than can be found at better places off-site.

People justify a lot when it comes to the pixie dust.

Disney was never cheap ... but it also never felt cheap either.

In many ways it does so now.

WDW1974

Blatant price gouging?

Yeah ... that's what I'd call $35 a la carte steaks on LUNCH menus at Disney theme parks ... when I can get a higher quality one at Uni for under $20 pre-discount. Those price points are nuts. Especially when people are losing homes and jobs and Disney is trying to attract people ... they are angering a large segment of people who aren't high on the pixie dust.

Have you ever tried to eat Papa John's at Six Flags? That's price gouging.

No. I've never set foot in a Six Flags in my life. They're akin to the WalMart of parks in my books.

But I have had Papa John's in Beijing ... and it was delicious and worlds better than the crap they serve in the USA at a fair price... all in nice little cafes with full menus and servers. Shocked me ... but was great eating.

mcjaco

Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart.

Once you try to have a $7 slice of Papa John's you'll think differently.

jt04

Yeah ... that's what I'd call $35 a la carte steaks on LUNCH menus at Disney theme parks ... when I can get a higher quality one at Uni for under $20 pre-discount. Those price points are nuts. Especially when people are losing homes and jobs and Disney is trying to attract people ... they are angering a large segment of people who aren't high on the pixie dust.

No. I've never set foot in a Six Flags in my life. They're akin to the WalMart of parks in my books.

But I have had Papa John's in Beijing ... and it was delicious and worlds better than the crap they serve in the USA at a fair price... all in nice little cafes with full menus and servers. Shocked me ... but was great eating.

Yeah and if we paid our farmers pennies a day I am certain we could eat cheaper here too. Not sure the farmers would go for it, you know ankle deep in a rice paddy all day etc.

WDW1974

Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Walmart.

Repeating it (even while sticking your fingers in your ears) won't make it suck any less, sorry.

Once you try to have a $7 slice of Papa John's you'll think differently.

I doubt that will ever happen. I've never had a slice of pizza worth $7 ... even in Italy ... even in NYC ... although a few came close ... and none were Papa John's.

The closest I've come it $6 for one of their personal pizza deals at the local sports arena. Edible to fair would be how I would describe it!

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

WDW1974

Yeah and if we paid our farmers pennies a day I am certain we could eat cheaper here too. Not sure the farmers would go for it, you know ankle deep in a rice paddy all day etc.

I'd love to have a discussion about China and the USA and the way each country respectively treats and values its people and workers, but the powers here tend to not like politically tinged discussions (their perogative, of course) ... although they seem to have no issue letting little comments such as yours pass.

At the same time I don't believe in letting a little ignorant shot just sit unanswered either. So I'll just say that Chinese farmers and their wages have nothing to do with the fact Papa John's is a high quality product in China, while being generic crap in the USA.

~I love fanbois!~

jt04

I'd love to have a discussion about China and the USA and the way each country respectively treats and values its people and workers, but the powers here tend to not like politically tinged discussions (their perogative, of course) ... although they seem to have no issue letting little comments such as yours pass.

At the same time I don't believe in letting a little ignorant shot just sit unanswered either. So I'll just say that Chinese farmers and their wages have nothing to do with the fact Papa John's is a high quality product in China, while being generic crap in the USA.

~I love fanbois!~

Touchy today I guess. Might I recommend emigration? :wave:

~ Pass the Pinko Dust~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom