Soda price increase

EpcotServo

I'd like to believe that sharing viewpoints and discussing and debating things is more than simply shouting.

Really? So if I hate violent movies I should go see Friday the 13th because trailers, reviews and research won't tell me what I need to know?

What about all those religious zealots who hate gay fanbois (or just gays in general)? Should they engage in homosexual acts before coming (no pun intended) to a conclusion?

If someone believes abortion is wrong always and forever, should they be forced to experience an unwanted pregnancy and the life that results before making that decision?

You can take it to a ridiculous level as my points above show ...

I don't disagree that experience is very good and helps add perspective. Hell, I'll often use that when fanbois, whose whole Disney world consists of WDW, tell me that what Disney does in Florida is so wonderful and amazing when they have never set foot in DL ... let alone TDL, DLP or HKDL.

But sometimes you don't have it. I have never set foot in a SF park, but that doesn't mean I can't discuss them and have very rational and fair criticisms.

But again you've kinda missed the point. I don't have an opinion about whether SF are enjoyable, good or bad, worth the money or not. I just have an opinion of where they stack up in the theme park world. They are like a WalMart ... a basic thrill park/coaster park with some very bare bones theming tossed it.

I don't have to experience them to come to that conclusion.

Anymore than I have to go to Tokyo to say TDS is one of the most lavishly detailed theme park ever created, if not the most.

If you stopped buying American cars and went with Japan or Germany you wouldn't have to tinker at all.

~OLC: We OutDisney Disney!~

Sadly, that IS how the world works.

Should you have firsthand Knowledge to judge something? It absolutely helps. But the problem is that there's a fundamental mental disorder with Americans and people in general to NOT want to experience things because others say we have to. What people need is an innate sense of curiosity that would compel people to journey past the limits of what's normal and venture into books, music, movies, television, and ideas that are different than their own. Sadly people form opinions instantly and this often means that they block out these "dangerous" new things from themselves.

So what I'm saying is that in order for experience to come into play, you need to have an open mind that SEEKS OUT these ideas and experiences before having to be told they needed too.

Phonedave

Sadly, that IS how the world works.

Should you have firsthand Knowledge to judge something? It absolutely helps. But the problem is that there's a fundamental mental disorder with Americans and people in general to NOT want to experience things because others say we have to. What people need is an innate sense of curiosity that would compel people to journey past the limits of what's normal and venture into books, music, movies, television, and ideas that are different than their own. Sadly people form opinions instantly and this often means that they block out these "dangerous" new things from themselves.

So what I'm saying is that in order for experience to come into play, you need to have an open mind that SEEKS OUT these ideas and experiences before having to be told they needed too.

I agree 100% with you.

In fact we can bring this full circle and say the whole above argument is germaine to the Disney parks. People thought the concept ws a poor one. Well why don't you come try it first before making a judgement?

And no '74 I don't disagree with a lot of what you say either. I don't think people need to have an abortion before they can speak their feelings about it. However there is a subtile difference there. Subtile, but existant nonetheless. It has to do with feelings and experences.

You cannot speak about the experence of Six Flags. You can speak about your feelings, you can make an informed opinion, you can even state substantiated facts. However you cannot talk about your experences, because you have none.

I'll give an example. I do some shooting. I have friends who had no desire to shoot. They have hear about how guns are "bad" and that they are "loud", "scary" and "dangerous". They made a decision and formed an opinion based on some facts and some other opinion. However they could not talk about their experence because they had never performed the action. As it turns out, one trip to the trap range, and you had to pry the shotgun out of their hands :)

And for the record, I have experenced a Six Flags - many times. I don't think it's like Wal*Mart. It's more like Costco. A ride wharehouse. It doesn't pretent it even WANTS to be themed. It's just "here is a ride, get on it"

-dave

WDW1974

If you didn't have Walmart(ing) to use as a term of the cheapening of the experience what term would you use?

But I do have it ... and it works so well ... the folks at TDO just love it!

You listed another term ... cheapening ... here's some more ... homogenizing ... dumbing down ... how about demagifying?

~WDW: Magic Discounted Daily!~

WDW1974

And no '74 I don't disagree with a lot of what you say either. I don't think people need to have an abortion before they can speak their feelings about it. However there is a subtile difference there. Subtile, but existant nonetheless. It has to do with feelings and experences.

You cannot speak about the experence of Six Flags. You can speak about your feelings, you can make an informed opinion, you can even state substantiated facts. However you cannot talk about your experences, because you have none.

I'll give an example. I do some shooting. I have friends who had no desire to shoot. They have hear about how guns are "bad" and that they are "loud", "scary" and "dangerous". They made a decision and formed an opinion based on some facts and some other opinion. However they could not talk about their experence because they had never performed the action. As it turns out, one trip to the trap range, and you had to pry the shotgun out of their hands :)

And for the record, I have experenced a Six Flags - many times. I don't think it's like Wal*Mart. It's more like Costco. A ride wharehouse. It doesn't pretent it even WANTS to be themed. It's just "here is a ride, get on it"

-dave

I don't disagree with any of that Dave ... my point was only that you don't have to experience something to discuss it intelligently.

Hell, when you were in high school how many virgins did you know who did nothing but talk about ______, right? OK ... maybe bad example.

Anyway, I am headed out for dinner ... but if you get a chance send me a quick PM ... I want to tell you something about your example that I think you'll find very amusing but I don't feel like sharing with the class!

~Bang!~

EpcotServo

Hell, when you were in high school how many virgins did you know who did nothing but talk about ______, right? OK ... maybe bad example.

Anyway, I am headed out for dinner ... but if you get a chance send me a quick PM ... I want to tell you something about your example that I think you'll find very amusing but I don't feel like sharing with the class!

~Bang!~

Requoted for Hilarity!

:lol:

PLeyava

Just thought I'd say that in EPCOT in World Showcase, the little Japanese Shaved Ice stand has a 20oz Coke, Diet Coke or Sprite for exactly $2, including tax! Maybe they forgot this stand, lol. :king:

hokielutz

If that's the current price then yes ...

I know they took a lot of heat when it first hit the web (courtesy of yours truly on anotherdisneyplace.com) as apparently getting 'free' food isn't as big a deal when they replace a high quality filet with a burger (with filler as well) on the menu at what is supposed to be a high end authentic French restaurant.

~You mean $23 hamburgers aren't what they serve in Paris?~

English tutor: "I would like to buy a hamburger"

Steve Martin: "Da buerger"

PhilharMagician

Just thought I'd say that in EPCOT in World Showcase, the little Japanese Shaved Ice stand has a 20oz Coke, Diet Coke or Sprite for exactly $2, including tax! Maybe they forgot this stand, lol. :king:
That may not be owned by Disney. Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining I believe are not disney owned.

WDW1974

Actually those menu choices will set you back by $17 to $20 at a Pro-football game. On top of your $70 game ticket.

Not going to get into that line of debate ... WDW isn't a pro sporting event.

Don't like the prices at a Colts game? Compare then with a Steelers game or a 49ers game? Or even switch sports.

A few years back I remember being able to get a hot dog at a cart in Frontierland for either $2 or $2.50 ... and this wasn't ancient history, but sometime this decade.

$10 for a hot dog, fries and Coke is absurd ... even if the same thing costs $20 an NFL game or NBA game or movie theater.

The fact you can pull out a more absurd set of price points doesn't change the fact Disney's are also absurd.

~Keep your blanking hot dog~

jt04

Don't like the prices at a Colts game? Compare then with a Steelers game or a 49ers game? Or even switch sports.

A few years back I remember being able to get a hot dog at a cart in Frontierland for either $2 or $2.50 ... and this wasn't ancient history, but sometime this decade.

$10 for a hot dog, fries and Coke is absurd ... even if the same thing costs $20 an NFL game or NBA game or movie theater.

The fact you can pull out a more absurd set of price points doesn't change the fact Disney's are also absurd.

When it comes to processed meats I'm highly doubtful cheaper is better.

Anyone seen Fido? :shrug:

Now Serving: Soylent Green only $2.99 +tax

Missing20K

I don't want to argue, I tend to agree with most of your opinions, I'm just a bit confused here as to your point.

Just as someone upset with pro sports price points change team affiliations or sports, couldn't someone upset about the prices at WDW go to Sea World, Universal, Six Flags?

If it cost $10 for a hot dog, fries, and a coke, at say a carnival, or school fair, or fast-casual restaurant, then would it be ok for Disney to charge that much? If I went to a church or state fair, I would probably expect to pay 6-8 or 10 dollars for a hot dog, fries, and a coke. Roughly $2 for each. Seems fair. Considering Disney is a business and has a captive audience, price gouging should be expected. Not excusing it, just saying I don't expect Disney to charge the same prices for food that I would expect to be charged at a local baseball game's refreshment stand.

Are you saying we should or shouldn't compare Disney's price points with other entertainment options price points?

Sorry I was just confused.

WDW1974

I was saying that we should compare apples to apples. Or simply judge the prices by how much they have gone up vs. inflation and the real world.

To compare a hot dog at WDW to one at an NFL Stadium is like saying 'well, Mickey is better because he only broke my kneecaps and knocked out my front teeth while the NFL also broke both arms and punctured a lung too.'

Because one entertainment venue gouges worse, doesn't make what Mickey's minions do OK.

~Off to Sweet Tomatos~

Missing20K

I was saying that we should compare apples to apples. Or simply judge the prices by how much they have gone up vs. inflation and the real world.

To compare a hot dog at WDW to one at an NFL Stadium is like saying 'well, Mickey is better because he only broke my kneecaps and knocked out my front teeth while the NFL also broke both arms and punctured a lung too.'

Because one entertainment venue gouges worse, doesn't make what Mickey's minions do OK.

~Off to Sweet Tomatos~

Hahaha, thanks for the laugh. I understand better where you are coming from.

As a business, though, shouldn't they be pricing their product as the highest level in which they grow both market share and profits?

To compare apples to apples though, how are Universal's or Sea World's prices (I haven't been to either in over 10 years) compared to Disney's? Is the quality similar, worse, better?

~Sweet Tomatoes is the McDonald's of Italian food~:hurl::animwink:

hrcollectibles

Hahaha, thanks for the laugh. I understand better where you are coming from.

As a business, though, shouldn't they be pricing their product as the highest level in which they grow both market share and profits?

To compare apples to apples though, how are Universal's or Sea World's prices (I haven't been to either in over 10 years) compared to Disney's? Is the quality similar, worse, better?

~Sweet Tomatoes is the McDonald's of Italian food~:hurl::animwink:
I don't think Sweet Tomatoes is an Italian Restaurant..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom