Soda price increase at all locations throughout the Magic Kingdom

DonaldDoleWhip

I remember the first time I was in Dallas and I ordered a "coke" and the person behind the counter said "what kind" :veryconfu
And if someone from Dallas came to New York and said they felt like a coke, they'd probably be very surprised when they received a glass of Coca-Cola. :ROFLOL:

SyracuseOrange

And if someone from Dallas came to New York and said they felt like a coke, they'd probably be very surprised when they received a glass of Coca-Cola. :ROFLOL:

I used to work at a restaurant in Michigan. Someone from the south ordered a Coke, so I brought them one. They replied "no, I wanted Clear Coke."

:brick::brick::brick:

DonaldDoleWhip

I used to work at a restaurant in Michigan. Someone from the south ordered a Coke, so I brought them one. They replied "no, I wanted Clear Coke."

:brick::brick::brick:
:ROFLOL: And that's exactly why the word "coke" just doesn't work once you leave the south.

I'll always say "soda," but I understand pop as well - coke to me just sounds like the brand. Fortunately I never really have to deal with this issue since I never drink soda. :)

talonstruck

There's a reason the Superbowl winner doesn't say, "I'm going to HolidayWorld.".
Yea it's much less cheaper to not pay celebs and sports stars than it is to be ranked one of the most family friendly parks by word of mouth......Check them out and see the reckoning they get from IAAPA and many national publications.
This park is doing all the right things and has a growing following. Will Koch who passed away unexpectedly last year has been compared to a Modern Day Walt Disney.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Where I'm from it's all coke. :ROFLOL:

I don't care what anyone says, I call it chrome cleaner.

It's Coke!

smalldrawn.gif

It's pop. But if it wasn't pop, it'd be soda. Calling all such drinks "Coke" is downright silly. I was in Texas, I think, when I ordered a Coke. The waitress said "What kind?". I look at her confused. She said "We have regular, diet, Sprite, Orange, and Root Beer."

In the UK we call carbonated beverages pop :)

Except for that blasted carbonated water, which I sometimes get in London when I order "water". I'm getting better now, remembering to say "still water".

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's pop. But if it wasn't pop, it'd be soda. Calling all such drinks "Coke" is downright silly. I was in Texas, I think, when I ordered a Coke. The waitress said "What kind?". I look at her confused. She said "We have regular, diet, Sprite, Orange, and Root Beer."

Except for that blasted carbonated water, which I sometimes get in London when I order "water". I'm getting better now, remembering to say "still water".

I guess a little explanation is in order here.

Since Coca-Cola is a very southern invention that went worldwide it became a catch-all phrase for any "Soda" in general conversation.

In the south, if I'm going on break at work and going to a store for refreshments, I would tell my co-workers that "I'm going to the store to get a Coke...do you want anything?" That doesn't mean that I'm going to get a Coca-Cola, it simply means any soda pop (or Soda...if you will) I'm more than likely going to get a Dr Pepper...but "Coke" is just easier. Now my co-worker would NOT reply "Get me a 'Coke'"...they would specify what they want by Brand. If I'm ordering from a server at a restaurant, I would never say "Coke" meaning a soda...I would specify by brand, unless it's a self serve, ala McDonald's, then I WOULD just say "Coke" as that connotes any "Soda".

If you were to order a "Soda" at a southern bar...you will get just that...a glass of soda water! :lol:

Whereas, ordering a Pop would probably get you carded thinking that you wanted a lollipop!

AEfx

Others have said it, but soda at Disney World is quite reasonable, even after this increase.

Yup, one of them was me.

I went to a concert the other night and a small (16oz) soda was $5, or a 32oz $9 (but it had a souvenir cup!).

I don't buy them at the movies (I bring my own, no one has ever "ratted me out"), but they start at what, $4.50?

Most restaurants are going to charge at least $2, and although McDonalds is doing the "$1 any size" promotion, it's a promotional gimmick not a reprice - in general, a fast food soda from down the street of comparable size is not much less than WDW.

All that said, about this naming nonsense -

1) It's actually SODA POP. Some places ended up calling it "soda", some "pop". Both are wrong. And calling all soda "Coke" is like calling a tissue a Kleenex - although it's more stupider (sic.) in this case because there are many varieties, whereas most tissues are similar (with the exception of a few with lotion additives).

2) Yankees call it "soda", Pop is a mid-western thing. That said, I've never gone in to buy a soda anywhere, even where the locals call it "pop", where they haven't known what I wanted, but I have definitely seen people get strange looks asking where "pop" is. Kind of like the look people from CT get when they ask for the "Packie" store.

3) In the North East, Pepsi (specifically diet) is much more popular than Coke, so if you ask for a Coke up here - you are gonna get a Coke. Of course, chains (McD, BK, etc.) mostly carry Coke (except the Taco Bell/KFC for obvious reasons, and DQ), but that's a national brand thing (and most fountain soda tastes close to nothing like the bottled/canned version, which is why I only drink Diet Pepsi for soda that I buy and consume myself, but fountain Diet Pepsi sucks and I'd rather have a Diet Coke). (And I drink Diet Soda mostly because I can't stand the taste of the regular versions.)

4) So glad someone pointed it out - my God, Pop Century is not named after Soda Pop, ROFL.

5) As much as I love Diet Pepsi, if you are drinking soda to stay hydrated you will be sorely mistaken (though hopefully not fatally). There are great deals on water all around Disney - the Hess station at the MK has some great specials, usually can get 2 bottles of some brand of water for $2. You *can* bring your own drinks into Disney that are not in glass containers, I do it all the time (since I have to import my Pepsi because of the Disney embargo - you can't even buy them at non-Disney owned convenience stores ANYWHERE on property!).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom